1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CM Cosmos or Silverstone TJ09 I need to decide =S

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shark00n, 30 Aug 2007.

1. Shark00n

Shark00n What's a Dremel?

Hey guys!

I'm building a PC and the TJ09 seamed like the case to go with. At this point I have all the components chosen, watercooling, fans, etc. All the system is planned and the case was studied to see how to hide the wires, pass the tubes, perfect the airflow, etc...

But now I'm kind of reticent on pushing the button and making the buy, and the reason why is a nice "little" case called Cosmos.

It's cheaper and doesn't require any major adicional planning because of it's layout. The wires are pretty easy to hide, and the WC sub-system almost does not need any changes! The airflow seems a lot better, which was my main concern with the TJ09, How would I cool the VRAM and the mosfets right? Well with the Cosmos I pretty much have the VGA covered and the mosfets won't have any issue too.

So, before I go with the buy, wich case should I stick with? The highly-acclaimed, very beautiful, high-quality and expensive TJ09. Or the "new-guy", the case that's scoring a lot of perfect 10's on review sites and slighty cheaper CM Cosmos??

Thanks!

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Cosmos! The Silverstone looks like a square brick.

/fanboi.

3. Shark00n

And the Cosmos looks like a toaster...

SHA-ZAM!!:blah:

4. Shark00n

A friend of mine told me about the diferences in weight. But I think that's no issue, I won't be taking this PC to LANs.

Would you guys call it an issue?

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'd still rather have a Lian Li PC-7. However, A Cosmos looks and is supposed to be better than a TJ-09. Also, there is now a TJ-10, which is basically a TJ-09 with a front door. Looks like the old school ATCS 200 odd Coolermasters.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You can do bench presses with the Cosmos!

Exercise WHILE YOU LAN.

7. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

And in the winter, I believe it possible to Luge to a LAN on the cosmos.

8. Shark00n

Can someone please take this thread seriously?

Cosmos or TJ09? AND WHY?

9. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

lol, i would say the tj09 matey, i have the 07 and it really is one of the best cases i have ever owned. great craftsman ship etc, looks better imo than the cosmos. also have you had a look at the tj10 ?

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

could you really bench that much weight matey /kidding

11. Mother-Goose

Good person to ask about the TJ09 is zr_ox, drop him a PM :)

12. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Having not had the Cosmos I cannot comment on it's build quality. I have seen the reviews though and whilst it still seems like a functional case I dont like it.

Now being a very proud owner of the TJ09, and having installed water cooling in it I can tell you the following:

1. It rocks
    2. It rocks
    3. It rocks

Sorry i do like it as well as the TJ07, TJ10 is the TJ09 with a door.....hope this is not a sign of Silverstone resting on their morals :eeek:

From the minute I lifted the case from the box I was impressed. The build quality is outstanding, understated styling add to the quality making this case a visual feast. Somone compared this to the early CM ATC models and that can only be a compliment, dont listen to Bindi's "Its a box" comment, how can you ever trust a fanboy?

Construction quality is incredible, it's all in the details. The aluminium used is super quality as is the anodizing, prior to this case i had the CM Stacker 830 which being a nice case just did not have the same quality finish.

Inside the layout is equally impressive, however it's not so well suited to water cooling...more later. The HDD bays are genius, its so easy to install hdd's that it puts other cases to shame. Some complaints have been made regarding a rather tight fit for hdd's however i think the tight fit is a bonus. Be careful installing them otherwise you would strip the rubber used to prevent vibrations. The snug fit means that you dont need to use screws to secure the hdd's. in this area other complaints have been made regarding cable routing for IDE drives, well this would be a pain in the behind, however if your using SATA drives then cable routing is no problem.

Complaints were made regarding intake placement especially for the hdd's, i dont think this is an issue since for me this is the coolest part of the case. My hdd's sit at around 32C which I measured with Fluke IR gun. The primary intake has also been criticized however that I do not believe is warranted since it works just fine and is especially useful for cooling todays fire breathing GPU's. Negatives would be no filter, more on that later. The biggest issue with this area is the process for replacing the fan......Very annoying however the supplied fan is quite good quality.

PSU placement is great and I dont think I will ever buy another case with top mounted PSU. In my Stacker the PSU got so hot that it ramped up the fan speed considerably (probably my fault due to bad loop design). In the TJ09 I cant hear the PSU (I have measured the PSU exhaust at 26C under load). Negatives would be lack of filter (more later).

On the top of the case you find the flip up thinggy to connect USB and headphone/mic jacks. The position of this is excellant is you have the case under your desk. The negative points for this area would have to be the cable lengths used to attach to the motherboard headers. They are not an issue at all for me however 6" longer would have made cable routing neater, but thats a very minor point since they can still be tidy enough, if not you can buy extensions.

Removable motherboard tray is a no brainer....always has been a great feature that "does what it says on the tin". Cant live without it really.

Removing the doors involves a slightly different solution where you no longer break a sweat, I cant describe how they work yet and will edit this later. take my word for it though when I say that it's a massive improvement.

Case feet are high end stereo quipment type with rubber to prevent bad vibes.

The included fans are of a much higher quality than you normally associate with freebies.

Basic cooling is spot on and I cannot see any areas for improvement. Case prides itself on the use of negative pressure to cool components and it does this very well with a basic setup. Airflow is not turbulent like some cases and results in a very quiet case.

Watercooling is a little more tricky. For mounting a radiator at the top (internally) you need to be creative, it's possible to use L-brackets or screw the radiator directly to the mesh. Be careful sizing your radiator if your mounting internally since using the HWlabs BI Extreme or Thermochill rads may render the removable mobo tray useless since they are deep. If you use the HWLabs Stealth then I believe you will be fine. As for mounting externally well it cant be easier with pre fitted holes and gaskets to protect tubbing. I mounted my radiator outside the case on the right hand door (My case is the last one posted in the extreme cooling forum).

The biggest negative for me is the lack of filters, although I dont see this being a major issue due to the mesh used. You will notice a build up of dust on the mesh panels, at this point you can run your fingers across the mesh to clear it. After running the case closed now for 3 weeks I have very little dust inside the case.

Like I said previously i have only read about the Cosmos in the Bit-tech reviews, the others suck. I'm not in a position to comment since I neither have seen it in life or know anyone with one that can comment. At this moment I'm a very proud TJ09 owner cand can only say that if you buy one, I would very very much doubt that youd be dissapointed.

(This is probably full of typo's and bad grammer, sorry but I'm at work and need to get going) :thumb:

13. Mother-Goose

Yeh, told you he was the right person to talk to about the TJ09 :)

I've got a stacker 830 evo so if you want my opinions on that let me know. Overall, the stacker it great with some brilliant design features and the build quality is good, the Cosmos seems a good case, it's got the noise dampening, which the stacker lacks due it's open design and it really needs it imo.

CM will make a brilliant case though. Best advice? go and look at one in a shop somewhere if you can, best to see it first.

The stacker is HUGE, bigger than it looks and bigger than the dimensions make you think, that could be the best reason to go and see any new case that is over £100