1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Painting MDF

Discussion in 'Modding' started by yakyb, 31 Aug 2007.

1. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Over the next Few weeks im going to start to work on a MDF scatch build after i decided the case in my previous log was too small.

i was wondering what type of finish could be obtained using MDF. i.e whether it would be possible to create a shiny surface using spray paint and what the best type to use is ive searched around and the only links i can find are ones refering to furniture and they have an awful finish.

basically what im asking is does the MDF need to be treated before painting.

oh and whilst i here those who have worked with MDF before how is the sound dampening with it i plan on using 12mm stuff im guessing this should be pretty quiet

anyway thanks guys

2. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

nope, i just used automotive primer on mine, soaks in a bit so will need maybe 4 coats. make sure you let the first coat dry fully, as this will seal the wood.

3. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

You should be able to achieve a shiny gloss finish by using Lacquer paint. Several auto shops sell pints that are airbrush ready; or you can get in in a spray can from the hardware store. I'll be spraying some MDF here shortly so watch my worklog for the results.

4. HowY

HowY What's a Dremel?

SAND the surface smooth (down to 400 grit)
    SANDING SEALER!!
    WET Sand (da is good) to 800 or higher
    COLOR - coat... coat... coat...
    SAND - 800 / 1200
    COLOR - coat... coat...
    Sand 0 - 00 steel wool
    TACK - TACK
    ClearCoat... and coat and coat

Eventually you'll either be happy
    or too tired of the process to care!

5. Moondog

Moondog What's a Dremel?

I've had good luck with auto primer, as it filled and sealed pores in the wood.

+1 on the wet sanding / dry sanding between coats.

6. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

The only problem area with MDF is the ends, which need to be sealed, as they will soak up paint and primer like a sponge, and will never look very good. The cheapest and best solution is to mix a half/half mixture of warm water to yellow wood glue, and apply it to the ends with a foam brush. Do 2-3 thin coats and it should seal up really nice. Don't apply too much at once as you don't want the ends to get very wet or even soggy.

7. hagatha

hagatha No Guts? No Glory!

Wet sanding a wood by product is not a very good method. It needs sanding between coats, but I'd be using a "sanding sealer" designed for wood. Sand to about 220 between coats. You will need to concentrate on the edges... this is where you will have the toughest time getting it filled and smooth. Once the you have sealed the wood... you can apply a primer... a automotive type primer will work just fine, but unless you have spray equipment, I'd stick with spray cans. Spray lacquer in a can is thin and runs very easy. Take your time and spray light coats!!!

The first and most common problem when painting is not letting the paint "CURE" between coats. Paint drys in a couple hours... but it takes a couple days for paint to cure, and it must cure before you start sanding!!! sand with 400-600 between coats and wipe down the surface with lacquer thinner before the next coat. After your 3rd coat wet sand with a 1500-2000 and then buff it out with a 10,000 grit buffing compound... If you take your time you will have a finish that will WOW anyone who sees it!

and since this is wood... be careful with the water! water and wood don't mix! Especially particle board!

Lee

8. yakyb

cheers for the replies much appreciated ive ordered some of this stuff to seal it so hopefully the primer will adhere i was initially thinking the primer topped with automotive paint maybe 3- 4 coats topped by a couple of clear coats laquer sounds good to me

9. Navig

Navig What's a Dremel?

I used melamine edge trim for my unfinished edges on my last build. Finished surfaces don't need anything special--I used 1 coat of paint brush Zinsser primer (which I didn't like too much) followed by 2 coats automotive primer, lightly sanded with 400grit, then 3 coats automotive paint--but I went for a matte finish.

You can see how my turned out here.

If you wouldn't mind letting us know how that mdf sealer works for you, that'd be great!

navig

ps. as mentioned, only the cut/unfinished edges need something special. When you cut the wood grain across, the edge fibers will "stand up" when exposed to water based paint, giving it a stippled pattern. Seehere. You can slather 6 coats of primer to cover everything and sand down, try the wood glue method above, or do what I did--simply iron on a covering. Wonder how the mdf sealer will do....

Last edited: 3 Sep 2007
  10. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

cut it at 45 degree angles and glue it together, thus getting rid of the painting the ends problem. plus it looks nicer.

11. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

Not always a possibility :D

12. yakyb

Navig thanks for the Link thats an awesome setup you've got going there thanks for the tips on working with mdf i think ill go out and grab a chisel

13. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I just put a few coats of paint on the MDF base for my new PC. I'm using a lacquer spray paint (couldn't get small quantities of the airbrushable lacquer :() The MDF isn't really absorbing a lot of the paint; but is adhering really well (didn't even use a primer, just sanded it smooth).

I'm hoping to be able to achieve a high-gloss finish similar to what's used on pianos.

14. HowY

HowY What's a Dremel?

Sanding...

Please note the first step is a *sand*

Next is a sanding sealer (MOST IMPORTANT)

once some coats are on I prefer automotive papers
    for paint projects and usually as a wet pass.

Didn't mean to cause confusion - I don't even think
    wet paper would even sand on bare mdf ! :nono:

So, sorry, I didn't mean that at all.

Merely for that "perfect" finish it's gotta go over 1k
    and a buff of the final coat is a great suggestion.

I typically use 3x or 4x steel wool to finish then polish.

Sorry folks!