1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress (VAPOUR MOD FOR NOW) NOT SO ALL OUT FROM THE BEGINNING!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by NZ_mod_man, 31 Aug 2007.

1. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

QUICK UPDATE!!

Hey guys just a quick update on what I've been up to.

Thought I'd give you a sneak peak at my logo I've drawn up. My engrave it onto my case somehere.
    [​IMG]

Now, what I've been up to...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...pulling things apart. These are the rubbish bits.

These are what I will use...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The first 2 pic's are of the 5 1/4" floppy drive facia. (blue and green LEDs)
    Thanks radodrill for the idea, as I will try it. My dad has a Pioneer slotdrive DVD ROM not in use. As I have a tray DVD ROM, he has no probs with a trade.

One problem with the mod being the difference in slot height.
    To remedy this I have to mount the 5 1/4" bezel about 8mm heigher.
    Here are some SketchUp pic's...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I don't use floppy disks any more I took apart the 3 1/4" floppy drive as well...
    [​IMG]
    ...with plans to mount a couple of USB ports and mic and headphones jacks behind the bezel.
    So when none are pluged in the flap will be shut and no one will have the foggiest.
    Now how's that for stelth!!!!!!!!!:jawdrop::eeek:

That's all for now. More on this soon I hope.

Rock on.:rock:

2. NZ_mod_man

Just a question for all you guys out there that are looking but not posting.

Has anyone done or know anything about watercooling a PSU?

3. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Why? they're near silent anyways.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you're not absolutely confident with watercooling in the first place - don't do it. It has been done before but it required making custom blocks.

5. Upriverpaddler

Upriverpaddler What's a Dremel?

Water + low DC voltages inside your case + mistakes = Dead PC
    Water + 120 VAC inside your power supply + mistakes = Dead You

6. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Spoken like someone who's never tried H2O cooling. The water in tubes and doesn't make contact to the power; unless you don't seal it right and have leaks.

I've had my main rig on H2O for a while now (new rig will be H2O as well) and I'm not going back to air.

I just find H2O cooling the PSU pointless; they're near silent anyways and you won't be getting any performance gains.

7. NZ_mod_man

Thanx Bindibadgi. I figured as much. Was not planning to do it with case, just doing some research.

Because I can. No other reason.

Thanx for all the feedback though. :)

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

hence the 'mistakes' bit in that equation. he IS a first time WC-er...

9. lost_modder

lost_modder What's a Dremel?

yea the + mistakes modifier makes a huge difference! NZ_mod_man : Be careful and smart & go for it. And post some pics when it's done!

10. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Try googling "watercooled psu".

Here's one. I've seen better. But this one was done simple. Almost all the ones I have seen does something very similar.
    http://www.webx.dk/oz2cpu/pcmod/water-psu.htm

Some have made the copper plate extend outside of the PSU so no water actually goes inside the PSU.

Some points to consider, though:

If you
    *have watercooled the main heat producing components.
    *use an over-sized PSU (will have bigger heat-sinks) and run below full output
    *use slow fans to move the air through the case, and not through the PSU

If you do those things, the interior temps in the case will be lower then normal. You may well be able to run the PSU fan(s) slower. Try disconnecting the PSU fan(s) from the PSU and running them with a thermostatic fan controller. Put the temp probe(s) on the heat sink. With the fans running at half speed they should be almost silent. With some of the newer almost silent PSUs, it will be really quiet.

I did this on my WaterPlant, and now the outside fans on the radiator (running at half-voltage) are louder than the PSU. Before, the PSU was so loud I couldn't hear the pump or the other fans even when they were full blast.

So, if you want quiet, you probably don't need to watercool it. But the watercool geek-factor is a consideration. If you want to go for it, as the above posts have said, do your research and be careful.

11. NZ_mod_man

Hey guy's

Just a quick UPDATE!!

Did say this was gonna be a slow one but, hope it's still a good one.

I spotted this on my shelf this evening...
    [​IMG]
    ...not quite sure how this could be incorperated into my mod but, it had been sitting aroud for ages as I never got aroud to installing it into my car.

It suddenly came to me tonight that it runs on 12v (i.e. car battery):duh:

Looking at the size of the wires I thought "that can't be pulling too much power, maybe it'll run off my PC.:idea:

Genius! So I cut a mollex of an old power supply I had lying around, soldered it onto the bear ends of my strobe kit, making sure I got + and - the right way around. Went to plug it up...and... damn!! Plug to plug, that ain't gonna work.:wallbash::waah::wallbash:

Well that idea failed miserably, I don't have any sockets around.:idea: Hang on I just ripped up an old 5 1/4" floppy drive. After a bit of searching I finally found it, well the bit that I needed anyways. So I stole the PCB mount molex from it and soldered it to my new bear ends. Yes, I had to chop it as had put heatshrink on the last lot, as I did again. Much better idea than tape. Anyway pluged it up...and...IT WORKS!!:clap::cooldude:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have been rethinking the spec's, and without wanting to dissapoint, as this was called "ALL OUT FROM THE BEGINNING". I have come to the conclution that not only is it well out of my price range, I probably wouldn't need anywhere that much grunt anyway as I am not a gamer (love to be but can't aford it). I am running WinXP, photoshop, sketchup and dreamweaver on this stock old P3 so anything would be an improvment (unless of corse i booted up that old 486!!). Dads gonna get me a good deal on a guts kit:

- All-in-one motherboard
    - Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.8Ghz processor
    - 1Gb RAM

Total NZD$214.00

May try and upgrade it a bit if I can.

Hope this does not dissapoint too much and you guys don't loose hope.:waah:

Will still mod on and that's a promise!:)

This will not become a "vapormod"!! Nooooway!!

Last edited: 16 Sep 2007
  12. NZ_mod_man

What happened????????? This thread started off with a hiss and a roar, now there isn't even a pop or a fizz.

Sorry if I let anyone or all of you down but, I suppose being a first time modder I got all amped and exited about going "ALLOUT FROM THE BEGINNING" that it blured my vision on what was realistic (i.e. what I could afford and what I could do with the skills and tools I have).

I hope to get the slot load DVD drive off my dad in the next couple of days so I can start modding that!

Have had no feedback on my 3 1/4" floppy drive mod plans. would love to know your thoughts. Does anyone know if it's been done before or similar. Would not be surprised but, still hope I'm the first.

I suppose there isn't much that hasn't alread been done, or at least tried.

Anyways love to know your feedback.:D

13. Jonny_tinslecat

Jonny_tinslecat General Potcher

hey there, i'm just doing my own first mod two. My advice, just get stuck into it. if you dad has loads more comnputers there, just get hacking them appart. make the mistakes on the crappy ones.

Interested to see what your going to do with the slot drive dvd, ive got one, and dont know what to do with it yet!

Have fun tho!

14. Teyber

Teyber ******

wow great post ck! you should make this a thread in modding, and pm a mod about a sticky?

15. NZ_mod_man

QUICK UPDATE!!

Ok. Dad dropped off this DVD drive while I was at work today. Time to get modding, well let's see. I have a plan!

As you can see from my SketchUp pics, the hole for the eject lever thingy is smack bang in the middle of the top of the DVD drive metal case. This should be ok, as I said, "I have a plan!":dremel: It's in my head. I just have trouble putting things into words to explain them. Will try and get some more SketchUp pics up here when I edit my idea into them.

As I've said before. My plan is to:

Paint case black
    Add window (possibly coloured)
    Add lights

Yes I know it's a pretty common subtle mod, so not very exiting now that I've dropped the extreme hardware.
    Anyways, any sugestions on a feature colour to go with black (probably not: blue, green, red, orange or yellow. All too common). This pretty much only leaves me with purple (I like) or pink (I like also).

Maybe I can paint the case snow:brrr:/appliance white and have pink as the feature colour.:naughty:

May look a bit fluffy/girlyish, but I like that look, snow/appliance white and pink just seem too go together.:worried::worried::worried:

So guys please tell me what you think.

Heaps of feedback would be awsome, good, bad or otherwise.

16. bournecycle

bournecycle What's a Dremel?

You said you were really into music as well as cars... how about modding it into a jukebox?
    You could turn it so that one of the sides becomes the front of the jukebox, use a large lexan panel with your logo on it and use the car light kit to backlight it.
    Just a thought.

Keep us posted!

Tags: