1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Oh Crap, I killed my dSLR!!!

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Cthippo, 29 Aug 2007.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Yup, the title says it all. Last Saturday my g/f and I went on a day trip and when we got up to catch the ferry my camera fell out of it's bag and faceplanted on the concrete floor. The $15 UV filter took the brunt of the impact and cracked, saving the $400 lens underneath. The camera powered on and auto-focused, so I thought it was fine until i tried to take a picture and the shutter wouldn't fire. :wallbash::wallbash:

Ok, so now what. The camera is a Konica-Minolta 5D, which is no longer in production. Sony took over the product line as their alpha series and they are offering repair for them. According to their website, they will repair it for a flat rate of $281 plus tax, but the flat rate doesn't apply in a number of cases, including physical abuse.

I've also looked at used ones on eBay but they are all used, and usually come with lenses and bags and whatnot I really don't need for around $500-600.

The final option is to buy a new Sony Alpha, which is compatible with my existing lenses, but those are going for $600 and up. That, and i'd really rather not buy from Sony since they are, well, you know, evil.

So, I'm looking for advice. is it worth shipping it off to Sony for possible repair, or should I just start looking for a new one?

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Don't suppose your home contents insurance would cover it? Besides you know you wan't to go buy a new Cannon or Nikkon just to spend money:naughty:

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Aye, if your policy covers accidental damage away from home, you're sorted. You'll probably have to pay a small excess fee - or even buy one first then get a refund from the insurance company (old for new).

4. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Maybe try a local camera store to see if they'll repair it? Probably be cheaper than the Sony option.

5. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

Hippo! You broke it?!

Why don't you and her come to Oz - buy another one duty free! :D

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Get it to a reputable camera shop. They can probably fix it.

And Sony may be evil, but at least they're not Haliburton (yet). And they sure make tempting kit...

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well... I think you've got two logical options here, tbh.

One: send it off for repairs and keep it.
    Two: send it off for repairs, sell the repaired one along with any lenses that won't work with anything else, and go for a nice new Canon or Nikon. Same as just buying a new one really, but you get to put a few hundred towards the cost.

8. Valo

Valo Minimodder

get D80+18-200VR ;)

or get sony alpha, these are pretty decent cams actually

i don't think it's worth fixing that 5D anymore, unless you were really happy with it, now you have the opportunity to change systems, maybe save some money and treat yourself with some canon/nikon?

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

If you like the camera you have now, take it to a camera shop and see what they say. It may be as simple as a shutter release mechanism knocked loose. If it's more serious, consider the cost of repairing it versus the cost of a new camera. Canon wanted $350 to repair my 300D. I can pick up a used one for less than that, so I was happier to pay more for a completely new body.

Either way, I'd check your lens, too. The UV filter may have prevented the glass from breaking, but the sudden stop at the end of the fall could have knocked the alignment off.

-monkey

10. Cthippo

Good thought, but I rent.

I'll google around and see if there is a place in Seattle that will work on it. I know we're down to only one photo shop in this county anymore, and I don't believe they do repair, especially not on digitals. My gut response is "Gee, I didn't think anyone fixed anything anymore, I thought we were just supposed to throw it away"

I don't think the $1800 plane ticket will be offset by the duty, but otherwise it's tempting :p

Somthing weird I noticed playing with it just now. The 5D has a function to expose the sensor for cleaning. I tried this and it works fine, which seems to indicate the shutter mechanism wasn't damaged. Maybe it is somthing simple. I think I'll call around and try to find someplace that will try to fix it and if that doesn't work I'll get a used 5D on eBay. Thanks for the suggestions and moral support :thumb:

11. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Surely you should still have contents insurance, in case of burglary etc.? :confused:

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You checked that a cable hasn't come loose from the button PCB?

13. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't spend $300 to get it fixed as at the end of the day you would still have an out of warranty camera - much better imo to put that towards an A100 which is basically an improved D5D.
    On the 6th September Sony are announcing a new advanced amateur DSLR but that's expected to be more like $1000-1200 & compete against the EOS 30D etc.

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I'd go with the local camera shop option - at least ask them to have a look at it to see how much it would cost to fix.

OT I know, but that's what I thought too.

15. Cthippo

I found a place in Seattle that claims they can repair it. They think that the CCD most likley got knocked out of alignment when it was dropped, which is a fairly common occourance. They quoted me $295 plus parts, if any are needed, to fix it, with a one week turn-around time. I'm going to take it down there next weekend on my way south and hopefully that's all it needs.

No, I don't carry any insurance I'm required to by law. I'm not sure if credit cards or insurance are the biggest scam, but both are best avoided whenever possible. All an insurance company does is take your money and then use it to fight you if you make a claim.

16. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

Seriously, is it worth spending half the price of a new, improved & warrantied model on fixing an obsolete & out of warranty one?

17. Cthippo

The short version is because I can afford to get it fixed now, versus waiting until the end of the year (or more) to get a new one. That, and I don't really want a Sony, but can't afford all new lenses.

18. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

I read that the lenses are pretty poor, but I guess the mount works with the old lenses, so no loss there....

19. HellRazor

HellRazor What's a Dremel?

www.precisioncamera.com

They should be able to repair the camera for you. I've had pretty good luck with them in the past.

Tags: