1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Tribal HTPC - UPDATE 12: SPONSORS!! Koolance and DangerDen

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Fozzy, 31 May 2007.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

oh I agree watching something grow and take shape is rewarding especially when your done and you get to step back and look at it but during that time there is a lot of cussing and cursing and eye strain lol

2. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Haha yea there has been some cursing on this log already

3. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Go for a dremel. There are lots of options for modders on a budget. Also I've seen a lot of sick stuff done with a dremel. I've never been very good with one and I prefer to use a jigsaw when I can and a scroll saw when I can use it over a jigsaw.
    Try to get a knock off rotary tool though because they really are all the same.

4. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Alright So I had a slight modding distraction because I promised my Lead guitarist that I would make him a pickguard about a year ago. So I did....or at least I started. I believe this goes on his squire. But I can't remember.

Here's some pics
    [​IMG]
    You can see where I started to sand. I'm going to need a bunch more paper and probably some polish to get the effect I'm after.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was actually pretty easy to do. I started by drilling the mounting holes around the edges, I put some screws through and bolted the original pick guard to the piece of metal. Then I traced out the pick up slots and perimeter, drilling the remaining holes as I went. Then I removed the original pick guard, cut out everything, replaced the pick guard, and filed using the original as a guide.

Hope you enjoy it. And check out my band while you're at it. Add us as a friend if you'd like and give us a bit-tech shout out.
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=164624966
    Oh and I'm lead singer by the way. You should all recognize the name.

5. HourBeforeDawn

huh thats neat, my Uncle own Triton Records, its a private label but he corners the heavy metal and industrial metal side of the industry so I get to go to a lot of concerts and meet a lot of different bands, I went to every Ozzfest on the west coast this year so awsome, my cousins band headlined at a few of the ozzy concerts too so that was sick, I even got to hang out with Ozzy himself man that guy is freaking insane (I mean that in a good way =p ), anyhow nice work.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2007
  6. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Tight. I skipped ozzfest this year as I didn't like most of the bands. Made warped tour though. You gotta love KSE

7. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Hey everybody. I missed the last two weeks because I've been busy but I've got a real treat for you guys (or at least I think it is). I have finished all of the vents for this part of the case. I have also finished the PSU mount, the motherboard mounting holes, the radiator cover mounts, the CD drive mounts, the Power and reset holes, filing of all pieces, and I have the Motherboard back panel mapped out. But here's some pictures.

[​IMG]
    Filed! : )
    [​IMG]
    Motherboard Mounting holes ready for thread serts.
    [​IMG]
    Rear vent above the I/O section
    [​IMG]
    PSU and HDD Vents
    [​IMG]
    You can sort of see the tabs that will be bent over to mount the side panels. I would have had them cut and bent tonight but my mother couldn't sleep through the noise. Notice the notched section. That was the first cut for the tabs (It has not been filed)
    [​IMG]
    Another shot of the Motherboard vent. If you look close you can see the outline for the motherboard back plate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 more shots for viewing pleasure.
    That's all I've done for now. I'm going to try and get it bent by this weekend. After that's done it will be on to the fun stuff.

Oh and in case you were wondering about that pickguard...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That GZH engraved (Garret Z-something Hollbrook) He saw my Diablo case and asked me to engrave his initials at the last minute. I think it turned out pretty good. I especially like the "brushed finish". It will pick up light on stage really well.

8. HourBeforeDawn

nice work on both the case and the guitar, my brother is in the process of making a custom guitar, when he gets around to starting it or when he finishes it I will post a pic if you want, anyhow thats a lot of pencil marks =p so you might have mentioned this but what is the measurements again, things looks pretty huge.

9. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

If memory serves I think it's 6 inches tall, 18 inches deep and maybe 22 inches wide? It's actually not so big. It will be when I add in the second radiator though.

I'm starting to dislike doing Project logs though. Nobody seems to care about my work......

10. HourBeforeDawn

ehh its been slow lately on this site, guess everyone is going to school now, I dont get much hits either, plenty of people look but not to talkitive.

11. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

jup it's been quiet here (not just this thread)

Nice work on all the cuts, they're nice and smooth. Can't wait to see the result after the bending!

12. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Yea I know. It just kills me when everyone posts 40 comments per update on Modsquads project no matter what he posts and I'll get maybe 5 people to give me any criticisms that I can work with.

13. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Thanks. Me neither. I'm so scared it's not even funny.

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm here...lurking...
    The logs are always pretty quiet near the beginning, particularly if you don't look like you're making any mistakes.
    By the time you're done you might even get a stalker or two!:hehe:

15. Axiom UK

Axiom UK Next Level of Modification

I like project very much as you got to have a good ability to create a case fro scratch especially one that looks good

axiom UK

16. alpha_prime

alpha_prime What's a Dremel?

the pieces i have seen look really good so far, did you really cut these by hand? Great work.

Btw did you ever finish hellgate lian-li? It seems like a waste to have it collect dust, i liked it's style.

17. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Thats generally how it goes withg project logs, by far the most visitors just look at the pictures and sometimes read the text, but only a very small percentage take the effort to comment. I normally don't comment on logs either, unless I really feel like I have something usefull to say.

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I like HTPC's and i Love watching other people work there way with ALU. Don't think I need to say much more.
    ...oh, and nice radiator cut outs.

/GNU

19. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Same here.

Trust me, I've been following it all along. Nice work. And I liked the work on the guitar as well.

20. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Haha well I guess I'm jumping the gun. I'm not even asking for compliments. I just really like to hear ideas from people. Especially negative comments. They encourage me to work harder. But it looks like all of you guys are right, 300 views today since 8:00 (5:00 now) so at least people are watching. I'll continue on.