1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing SATA drivers for new mobo?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Caracortada_uk, 12 Sep 2007.

1. Caracortada_uk

Caracortada_uk What's a Dremel?

Hi all. Just changed the mobo on my dads pc and completely forgot that the RAID controllers are different. As such windows wont boot. How can i install the drivers for the new mobo without causing any harm to the current windows install? Old mobo used a SIS SATA controller, new one (my old one) uses nForce4 ultra (AMD).

-----------------------

This article on the MS website:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125

I know i can do a repair install to give it the drivers, but that wipes the registry. Currently have accounts programs on the machine and dont know if wiping the registry will still allow them to work. Also general hassle of new reigsitry and all the programs currently installed.

That article also says i can do an "upgrade" install from within windows using the old mobo. Would an Upgrade keep the registry and all data intact? Basically just installing the needed drivers?

-----------------------

Other option is to boot the HDs using the old mobo and back up the registry. Put in new mobo, do a repair install and boot into windows and tell it to use the back up. Would using the back up not tell it to use the old drivers?

-----------------------

I recall something about being able to tell the BIOS to treat SATA drives as IDE drives, therefore bypassing the need for sata drivers on a fresh windows install. I know this is possible on compaq Mobos, cant see anything like that on the MSI, does anybody know anything about this? Seems like the perfect option.

Old mobo - AsRock K7VT4A Pro
    New mobo (my old one) - MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum

2. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

Quick question: were your hard drives previously in a RAID configuration, or just plain old hard disks?

3. quack

quack Minimodder

No it doesn't. I just followed those same instructions to move my old hard drive into a brand new computer without losing any information. :)

4. Caracortada_uk

Caracortada_uk What's a Dremel?

A repair install from windows CD DOS installer? Last time i dont one i wiped the registry im sure :S

Nope. He refuses to put them into raid after a previous board died on him resulting in killing the data on the drives :S

5. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

nF4 Ultra has native basic SATA support & doesn't require any driver support other than that in Windows (& indeed I would urge you not to install the nVidia Storage Driver).
    The problem is more than that - it's that Windows is looking for all the hardware on your SiS chipset mobo & not finding it but finding all the hardware on the nF4 mobo instead & either doesn't have the right driver or is trying to apply the wrong driver from the SiS setup.
    & then there's the HAL.

I would put the old mobo back & remove all the mobo drivers from Windows & then shift over to the nF4.
    You may get lucky & have it work but really you should be doing a fresh install or repair install.

Tags: