1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News iPhone in the UK: O2, £269 and coming in November

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 18 Sep 2007.

1. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Blimey, that's shocking.

People out there must be really sucked in by the iApple thing to not see that there are both better and cheaper phones out there! I'd be happy with any of the recent Sony Ericsson phones over this!!

2. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I don't quite get that - you won't be getting it for free - you'll be paying £269 up front and then you'll be paying £35 a month for 18 months for a contract which (a) is poor value to begin with, and (b) is even poorer value for you as you don't need all the bundled minutes.

You say you use 75 minutes plus "a handful" of texts a month. Let's say you use 50 texts (probably an over-estimate) which are worth 10p each (a ripoff in itself, 10p for 140 bytes, but that's another issue). At £35 a month you're looking at £30 on calls + £5 on texts, which works out costing you 40p per minute for your calls. Hardly a great deal.

Don't get me wrong - if you want the phone, that's your choice and I won't criticise anyone who chooses to buy it, but don't kid yourself that it's anything other than a massive luxury. For zero initial outlay and a smaller monthly cost, you could have a smartphone with many of the same features.

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i assume by many you mean 'many more' :p
    the only thing other smartphones lack is the multitouch display and the different UI, if thats worth £270 + 35/month to you then ok
    certainly not to me, im waiting for orange to roll out this at the end of september and then upgrading to that.

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I think I shall just stick with the N95

5. blackberry

blackberry What's a Dremel?

What ever happened to the good old Nokia 3310

6. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:hehe:
    i think i've still got my original 3310, probably in a drawer with a load of other old electronics crap :D

7. blackberry

blackberry What's a Dremel?

Old School Dude.....Old School

:lol:

8. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I think he means that he'll be buying a phone but getting an iPod Touch for free...meaning that since GOO is an Apple whore, he won't need to go out and buy an iTouch. I'm pretty sure that he probably really, really wants one.

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Yep. Got it in one. :)

10. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

The most advanced feature I need on a phone is the ability to operate "without wires" and summon the AA if my bike breaks down.

Actually, is it wrong to still want a 7110? (The sprung loaded door was missing on the 8110.)

11. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

I'm *really* disappointed

1, Its too expensive

2, Its not 3G

3, Still can't use it as a laptop modem

The cost isn't so much of an issue - I'm enough of an Apple nut to have stumped up for it but points 2, and 3, are total deal-breakers for me.

12. Risky

Risky Modder

The contract is not sky-high, but payign big bucks for the phone on top is a bit heavy.

However it is perfect for those that buy it for a bit of bling in the pub, where top-end pricing is an advantage.

13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I was about to say the same thing, but you beat me to it :lol:

£270 is a immense amount to pay for a shiny casing :duh:

14. Salazaar

Salazaar What's a Dremel?

Hehe. No chance I'm paying that, I'd already pretty much decided to drop off the contract wagon and go pay as you go one my current contract's up.

15. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

You can buy a new one direct from the Apple Store in America right now, costs around £220 inc shipping...and they are extremely easy to unlock to work on any UK network.

16. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

I think I'll get the Ipod touch ^^

17. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

1400 page views.. that's about 200MB when it's pages like this one.
    Not so many youtube videos. I suppose you won't be doing much youtube browsing on gprs anyway.
    I say get a itouch and glue a thin candy bar phone on the back.. or just not bother.

18. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

What amazes me is the tiny hooks the phone companies seem to have used to remove a thousand little sections of our brain through our own nostrils rendering us dumb enough to pay their extortionate prices and think we're getting a 'good deal'.

19. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I've just been reading about the Sony Ericsson W960i, now that is something I want and won't have to sell body parts to obtain

20. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Although if you've got a UK address it won't let you enter it in the delivery details :p

Tags: Add Tags