1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos [09/07] Progression

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by alastor, 17 Sep 2007.

1. alastor

alastor Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Progression: Valves > transistors > integrated circuit

(Edited with final version, others available in my Flickr if anyone wants to see. Thanks for everyone's help!)

Last edited: 20 Sep 2007
  2. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I really love the basic idea but it feels a little...well, "in your face". The colouring, however, is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely attractive, feels a little rustic and aged with the tube. Perhaps a newer processor or something that looks really new would be a better complement than that old one, though?

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Fewer 'items' I think.

As D-D said, the colours are great.

4. Starfighter

Starfighter What's a Dremel?

Fabtastic take on this months theme, I think with little re-working could be onto a winner there :)

Perhaps without the CPU as it kinda dilutes the theme... no... wait that's like... Man, aren't computers great?

5. ssR

ssR Carbon God

love the composition especially the tube. i agree with what DD said about a newer processor, a bigger heatspreader would add some bling to the picture

6. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Unfortunately the PIII is the only spare processor I have, however if anyone has anything they'd like to contribute to the photo I'd gladly accept it :p

Will try reshooting it today sometime with a different arrangement, maybe see what else I have lying around the house that would fit. Thanks for the comments so far :D

7. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Tried another shoot this afternoon, looser crop to hopefully be less "in your face", not sure if I've got the colours spot on yet but will keep fiddling.
    [​IMG]

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

I'm not as big on the background and lighting in this shot. It feels more roughly "posed" than the other. I don't think it should be zoomed out as much, perhaps "in your face" wasn't quite as literal as that. I am thinking maybe some of the diodes could be taken out so there's not quite so much.

I DO like seeing more of the chip , particularly the intel logo. Maybe you could re-frame your original shot more with a few less transistors and the chip rotated to highlight this?

I definitely don't like the new "background"...I think overall this shot looks more like I'm looking at a small pile of kit than a technological landscape that the other one was going for. The old background had no definition, just dark, which fit the image a lot more...particularly its colour tones.

Hope this helps, I'm trying to scrape together the words for what I'm seeing but I might be coming up a bit shy.

9. ssR

ssR Carbon God

in my eyes the composition in 2nd shot is much better, didn't put too much attention to the background actually, doesn't bother me actually. i think you're on to a winner here, at least in my eyes :)

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Really do like the 2nd shot

11. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I'm going to go for the first as my favourite, the colouring (as everyone has mentioned) is gorgeous!

Now, if those tubes were glowing.... ;)

12. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

I like the 2nd shot, where you can read the INTEL part. it's nicely structured, although I would use some whiter & stronger light source... then again, I just like metals to shine... good luck!!

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I like the second shot a bit better as well. Are there any date indications of any of the manufacture dates on the transistors or tubes? Seeing that you've got the '00 on the proc, it could really strengthen the "progression" (especially since outside of a tech forum, few people would be able to make the connection)

14. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Thanks again guys, will get there in the end with this :D

Wasn't sure about the background either, just tried something different. I'll try to replicate a combination of the two tomorrow sometime, hopefully colours and background of the first with some of the composition of the second. Don't think there are any useful markings on the transistors but there might be on the tubes, will see in the morning...

15. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I'm with Brett. Whilst the inclusion of Intel and other details in the second are nice, the whole lighting and mood of the first image is far superior, imo. I also think the background in the second image is far too distracting and just looks like it was shot on your bed. It may well have been, but we don't need to know that ;)

16. RTT

RTT #parp

I didn't even spot the CPU there in the first one until I'd looked at it for a good few seconds. Nice :)

First >>> Second

17. alastor

alastor Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Another attempt, hopefully combining the best of both. Definitely getting happier with these, thanks for all the input guys, helping a beginner get a mental image into reality.

18. ~Link~

~Link~ What's a Dremel?

I must say, I definitely like the third image. It combines the best parts of the first two pictures(more detail in the processor, but a less distracting background)

However, that line of stitching that's visible in the backdrop is still quite distracting. I don't think it's necessary to re-shoot this, you could just clone out the stitching in photoshop. But it's something to think about for the next time. Good work overall. :)

19. evilgreenie

evilgreenie Standby for Main Engine Burn

I'm for the second image - I like the way the lighting just picks up the burnished discolouring in the valve tubes and the reflections on the processor top break up the grey which kinda dominates the first & third images. The third image also looks a bit too posed as the intel & mullard logos appear a bit too aligned.

Just my pennyworth...

20. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Love the latest effort. :thumb:

Tags: