1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSoD When Second HDD Connected

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dirtbiker, 20 Sep 2007.

1. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

I've just bought a second hand computer:

CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 4200+
    Motherboard WinFast NF4SK8AA
    Primary HDD WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 (232 GB, IDE)
    Video Adapter Sapphire RADEON X1600 XT (256 MB)
    System Memory 2048 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    Optical Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A
    Power Supply Hipher HPU-4S435 (Max Load 435W)

Which runs fine, no problem at all, until I try to plug in a second hard drive (a Seagate Barracuda 200gb drive). On plugging this into the IDE socket on the Mobo (a separate one to the DVD drive) it is detected in the bios (as a slave, which is correct) and then Windows XP will begin to load (goes to the screen with the moving blue bar). Sometimes I get a BSoD at this point (details below) but once I managed to get into XP and view the drive and it's files. I also managed to copy a folder to the 250gb drive successfully before getting a BSoD when trying to copy a larger folder.

The BSoD details are: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION Stop: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x8054D5F0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)

Am I right in thinking this could be a PSU issue? I've tried booting with the DVD drive unplugged but with no success. I've attached a print screen of Everest showing the voltages when in XP with just the one HDD plugged in:

[​IMG]

Any ideas appreciated, I really need the stuff that's on the second drive day-to-day!

2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Master, slave?

3. dirtbiker

Sorry, just to clarify. The 250gb Drive is the master and has the XP install on it.

The 200gb drive that is causing the problems is connected as a slave for storage purposes.

4. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

Could be a faulty HD or IDE connector on the mobo or cable?

5. dirtbiker

I can rule out the IDE connectors on the motherboard as the DVD drive works fine on either channel. The cable is brand new out of the motherboard box but I guess it's worth trying a different one to rule that out. The drive that is causing the problems has been running fine for the best part of 18 months in my old machine so I'd be slightly surprised if it's a problem with that too.

Any other ideas?

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Try and get the latest chipset drivers, I had a similar problem with sata drivers a few years ago.

7. dirtbiker

In the end I decided to go for a fresh install of XP to cure a couple of other issues and it's working fine now.

Thanks for all your help anyway! :cooldude: