1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unformatted PC crashing after 30 seconds

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by JLevine, 22 Sep 2007.

1. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

Well, this week I have finally attempted my first custom pc. My first issue, which I hope to not make a frequent event.

The computer doesn't have anything on it, just out of the box and assembled. I boot the machine, and after around 30 seconds it shuts it self off.

Specs:
    Intel 3.0ghz c2d
    eVGA 8800 GTS
    eVGA 680i mb
    74gb 16mb cache raptor drive
    2gb corsair pc2-8500
    dvd/cd burner combo
    OCZ Gamexstream 600w

Please throw out any possible reasons for this problem, I will check them all.

2. mrgabinator

mrgabinator SweetHookup

overheat?

Check your thermals. Does your CPU have thermal grease plus a good heatsink/fan? Are you getting good air circulation to the CPU? Many BIOSes allow you to view the temperature -- watch if it's rising or not. CPU's commonly have a function called "thermtrip" that will shutdown (like a thermal fuse) once the temperature passes a certain threshold.

SweetHookup.

3. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

I will certainly look into that, the CPU right now has stock cooler which comes with some most likely terrible paste on it, but I will check bios for the 30 or so seconds that it will stay booted and see if I can see any rapid change in cpu temperatures or something.

Another theory that im thinking of is, is my power supply enough for those components?

4. mrgabinator

mrgabinator SweetHookup

re: power supply...

The power supply is an interesting idea. You should be able to test by removing components. Some vid cards can draw a great deal. After testing your thermals, I would try removing components one at a time and retry after each component removed. Maybe one of your vid cards or HDD first?

SweetHookup.

5. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

Ill definitely try that, any other reasons why this is happening, even if there far out, please list.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You DID plug in the heatsink fan, yes?

7. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

After some trials, I found out that the CPU is quickly ! heating to up to 100C !!!, so I assume its the heatsink. Only question is my friend has a 2.66 c2d with stock heatsink but he put on extra liquid paste on top of the crappy intel pre-applied strips.

Is there any reason for this?

Also yes, everything SHOULD be plugged in right, all the fans are running, everything is securely in its place.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Do NOT put thermal paste over the existing pads. Use a proper cleaner to remove the old pads before using your own.

Is there any plastic caught underneath the heatsink between it and the CPU?

9. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Thats the only reason why it would get to those temp's so quickly. The heatsink will have a little wire on it with a little (usually off red) plug on the end, that goes into some prongs around the CPU area. This'll power the fan on the heatsink to cool your processor.

10. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

As far as I know there was no plastic between the cpu and heatsink, the heatsink had pre-applied thermal paste on it, so I assume there was no plastic and the cpu didnt seem like there was any.

The heatsink is plugged in, and the fan spins and all that, I also made sure that I attached the heatsink right and firm.

So can these wierd temps really be caused by crapy paste? I didnt think it was that critical.

11. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

was the heatsink warm/hot to the touch? I'd bet it wasn't.

Well something's gone wrong. I'd suggest you buy some thermal paste (preferably either MX-II or Arctic Silver 5), remove the heatsink, clean it with rubbing alcohol/white spirit/turpentine, clean the CPU in the same manor, and reapply the heatsink with the new thermal paste.

In the meantime, leave the PC off.

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

it could be that the motherboard has a faulty temperature sensor and is shutting down because of itl.

13. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

Hmm I will try as5, if that doesn't work, can DougEdeys comment be true?

14. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

I guess the problem is the gunk that is applied to the CPU / Heatsink. Remove all the 'gunk' fully. Apply the new paste thinly. You don't need much. Make sure the cpu is seated fully and away you go!

15. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

well the cpu is in there with the clip locked, so I suppose its seated.

When I clean the intel crap, do I take the processor out of the clip and put on the backplate maybe to clean it, or can i just leave in in there and lightly wipe the gunk off?

16. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

Leave it there. Just be careful and make sure you get it all of. Take your time. Do the same with the heatsink.

17. fatty

fatty Minimodder

Ok this may be an easy one make sure when you put the cpu into the socket you close the retaining clip then move the locking mechanism into position...the reason I say this I had a customer lock the cpu down but the edge of the retaining mechanism was not clipped under the locking mechanism and it was holding the hsf off of the surface of the cpu

18. JLevine

JLevine What's a Dremel?

clip is securely in the lock