1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding solder vs jbweld

Discussion in 'Modding' started by zhangmaster12, 24 Sep 2007.

1. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

im making a certain object, where i need to attach two pieces of metal. the two pieces are an all metal valve and and all metal tin cup. There will be constant heat in the tin cup , for example a piece of burning coal on top of a piece on tin foil. Now i need something to somehow make the two items airtight and sturdy. which would be better, plumbers solder(the kind u use a torch with) or jbweld?

diagram:

coal
    foil
    cup
    <--- need something that withstands heat, and is able to seal airtight
    valve

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

JB weld may not be heat resistant enough. I'm not sure how well solder would Hold to tin; what may be better is to braze it (oxy-map or oxy-acety torch and bronze brazing rods).

3. zhangmaster12

i dont have a brazing machine. all ive got is tape, solder, and jb weld. the cup might be tin or alu

4. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

what metals are you using?
    I assume tin = container rather than the metal... if it is Sn then solder will be good... but it might not like the amount of heat... how hot is this going to get?
    Also dont use lead solder, since it will be hot you may get lead fumes, lead free solder (95% Sn/0.5 Cu/4% Ag is what I use, there is another without silver content but it costs almost the same.. this makes better joints..) would be better.

If your using alu, the only option is to get it welded, you cant solder that...

Never used jbweld, but i guess its a filler/plastic/epox type stuff, in which case I doubt it will be able to withstand the temperatures you need.

5. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

If it's aluminum then it'll have to be TIG welded; otherwise soldering or brazing should work.

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

For brazing, a mapp torch is 40$ and an oxy-mapp torch is 50$. You will burn through a lot of oxy bottles and those are crazy expensive however...

7. zhangmaster12

ok, the coals are going to be hookah coals :naughty:

i have like a 5 dollar budget, so im making a head and neck assembly out of a valve and a cup, dunno tin or alu but i know its a soft metal.

i only use lead free solder.

thanks for the quick replys.

isnt jb weld supposed to stand temps up to 500F?

tobacco use only :thumb:

Last edited: 25 Sep 2007
  8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'd think you would want JBWeld for a situation like this. Solder is meant for electrical conductivity, not as an adhesive. Plumbers solder less so, but it won't hold well under constant heat. If you can't braze it with the appropriate tools (which, while not insanely expensive, certainly won't fit a $5 budget), you'll want a cold-weld epoxy like JBWeld.

9. zhangmaster12

thats what i was worried about, solder not holding under constant heat. the solder melted after a min and a half over a lighter, so it might not hold to well.

ty everybody

10. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Here's a table of melting points for various metals of interest
    Solder: ~365F
    Tin: ~450F
    Aluminum: ~1221F
    Bronze: ~1900F
    Copper: ~1990F

If the solder won't take the heat then tin or JB-weld probably won't take it either. If you're using aluminum then it'll have to be TIG welded, otherwise it'll either have to be brazed or welded (MIG, TIG, or electrode would be fine for most metals).

11. zhangmaster12

ok, the cup is alu, def not tin because ive put it over fires and such and it is not melting lol.

jb weld has a melting point of 500F, so i might as well try or else im gonna have to find a glass head and thats gonna be annoying cuase i gotta cut it out of a coke bottle or something

edit: OMG would alumina adhesive work???

12. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Worth a shot; probably better than JB-weld anyways

13. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

well it helps to know what your using it for. Dont use JB weld and would recommend against solder - you seem to have overlooked is safety of the materials.

***Heavy metal poisoning is not nice., but then neither is solvent/plastic fume poisoning.***

The best thing you can make it from, is mild steel. no fumes, will last forever and good for well over 1500c. you can buy arc welders very cheap or get someone to weld it for you

What about ceramic? will also have some fumes depending on type, but they should mostly go after a few heating cycles.

alumina adheasive, I assume you mean thermal paste type stuff. DONT use that, its not designed for temperatures.

Last edited: 26 Sep 2007
  14. zhangmaster12

ok, so heres my idea, well actually i made it already but anyway on with the idea.

i watercool the glued parts. literally.

coal
    tin foil
    shisha
    aluminum cup\\\\\
    jbweld\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    valve thiingy]/////// immerseed under cold watter held by an upsidedown water bottle. (insides still dry)
    jbweld//////////////
    pipe converter////
    glass bottle

will show pic tomorrow afternoon after everything dries

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

for the record, you can braze aluminum, they also sell alminum welding rods for gas welding mind you its hard to get to work well and it will never be pretty but it will work. I've won a few bets and fixed boats and things by gas welding or brazing aluminum.

Anyways you guys are overthinking this, The coal doesn't burn that hot, second of all it's shielded from the metal below via the tin foil (which is aluminum foil nowadays) the majority of the heat from the coal is going to escape upwards with only hot air and smoke going downwards. Next it has to heat up and burn the shisha, In my experience either sodler OR Jbweld would work just fine, and the the metal especially aluminum would act as a giant heat sink, One coal just wouldn't have enough energy to heat up the Jbweld or solder which as this point is quite far below the heat source. I have a feeling, the joint would just be barely outside of the touchable range.

Anyways al lthe hookah pipes I've seen have been made out of cheap stainless or generally ceramic or glass. but I have a feeling it won't be getting that hot

16. zhangmaster12

thanks for the info, hookah officially done :} working on a glass head now cause im bored. but i broke my daimond bit :(

glass heads are hard to make, i have to use this dam teacup and its like 4mm thick glass