1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full page ad

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by iwog, 31 Aug 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

What I hate is some magazines who sell to advertisers based on grossly invested figures; claiming that 4 million people will read a magazine when in reality it has a circulaion of 1 million and the publisher simply reckons that each reader will lend the mag to 4 people.

2. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

I think the Nvidia full page is ad is actually very swish looking! :thumb:

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

sorry, but no. that nvidia ad, just plain sucks. it's really ugly, and it drives my PC at work crazy. i think it's even more obnoxious than popups, tbh.

4. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Hey, I reckon for every person that reads Bit, at least 2 people look over his/her shoulder. So bit must have over 100 readers!

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I do agree that the nVidia ad is a bit ugly, but it doesn't really bother me. It's certainly not to the point where I'd block it, and it certainly brings in money which allows Bit to continue it's existence and for me to not be bored during the day. Necessary evil I suppose, but it's not popups, not pointless crap (shoot the monkey!), and actually relevant to the content.

That, and I don't spend much time on the main part of the site, so there's not a lot of time for it to bother me ;)

6. Devrethman

Devrethman What's a Dremel?

This is ridiculous. There was a reason I didn't have adblock enabled on bit-tech. Occasionally I'd see an ad that I thought was cool and clicked it, woohoo, I'm supporting one of my favorite sites and it's not like they're getting in the way or anything. This full page crap is going to knock my adblock whitelist down to just one site. The harder you try to shove your ads at people, the harder they'll push back.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

:read: then come back with some proper opinions instead out out right blocking us and hurting one of your regularly read sites. This is only a 24 hour campaign. If it bothers you that much then state your opinions on here and resume ignoring the ad. The worst possible outcome is that you just come back to the site tomorrow when the ad is gone.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Well, as I've said before, I like it.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I got to admit, the nVidia full page ad is, compared to the previous one, of a much lower quality. The previous one fit nicely, and looked good. This one doesn't seem to fit the Bit-tech theme... But then again, what is 2 hours? And I mostly go straight to the forums and read the main page through the RSS feed.

10. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i think the nvidia looks really good, and it doesnt really affect me, just keeps us aware of new releases, although bit-tech does that anyway!

peace

fatman

11. evilgreenie

evilgreenie Standby for Main Engine Burn

Anyone know of a firefox plug-in or app which will automatically disable "play" on a flash ad? (The equivalent to right-clicking & deselecting play on every ad?)

Presumably that way it counts as a view for the site stats but cuts down on the distracting animations by making every ad static..

Seems like a good compromise...

12. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

There isn't one that I'm aware of, since advanced Flash developers disable the ability to Right-Click, Play.

The next level is an out & out Flash blocker, but using one of those screws us over, so we'd rather you didn't

13. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

I really liked the MOH ad. It fit very nicely into the page and i enjoyed looking at it. The nvidia ad wasn't as nice but was still many times better than the ads on most sites. This may sound silly but if bit-tech were to put even more advertising onto the front page i would still visit as often as i do now. The adverts here don't bother me, you guys clearly try to keep the site clean looking and the adverts are sometimes worth clicking into. It must be hard work trying to choose which ads you'll accept because you don't want to annoy readers and I think you're doing a great job. The quality of the content on this site is so high that ads really don't matter at all. If you do happen to get more full page ads like the MOH one I hope you'll run with them. They may work, they may not but they're only up for a short time and if it helps bit-tech then I'm all for it.

14. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Thank you, StephenK. Glad to see someone appreciates us

15. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I'd just like to add my support. Today's World In Conflict ad looks damn sweet. The others have been done really nicely too. I say keep up the good work. :thumb:

16. Glider

Glider /dev/null

The World in Conflict ad actually made my jaw drop... Darn, it's nice... :D

17. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

+1 for the WiC Ad.

To my eyes it's more like 'gaming-style decoration' (akin to a skin for XFire, Winamp etc) than an obnoxious ad.

If the full-page ads stick to the tasteful style that they've been done in so far then they've got my vote. More money for Bit-Tech is like more money for all of us..

18. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Just curious how many ads of this sort a month are expected to be used?

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i like these adds..... they are un intrusive

20. Grings

Grings I am rubber, you are glue

Agreed, i dont see the problem with them myself, as long as their not 1. intelllitxt, 2.noisy, or 3.'forum post' style ad's, then they dont get in the way, so can essentially be ignored, plus, if it's an ad for something you actually want, then all the better.