1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis Multiplayer Beta Impressions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Sep 2007.

1. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

meh personly I don't think people signing NDA's are anything more than PR bunnies pets :) your pr is quite intersting to read though and includes non add content (work logs/modding) so keep up the good work.

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

The beta is not optimized.... and its running on the net... chill people, it'll be fine. :)

3. Caminante

Caminante What's a Dremel?

Interestingly, I was running the game at the Hisghest settings at 1024 by 768 with no AA using a lesser card (7800 GT 256 MB) and was getting an average of 15 FPS. The rest of my set up goes as fallow: Athlon 64 x2 with 2GB or RAM.
    The game was playable when set to Medium settings but the graphics sucked and it looked plain. One thing I'd like to point out is that even at this settings and the game being rendered using DX9 path. The game looked incredible beautiful, did I said it looked owesome? As a graphic's whore, I have yet to see such of better-looking-more-realistic-brilliantly made graphics in a game. I can't imagine this game being rendered using DX10 code, I think I'll have a heart attack that day.
    I commented to my friend that one things is seeing the amazing graphics on all the media out there and another is playing the actual game.
    To be honest with you people, I don't really care about the MP demo, all I do is loading the game, find an empty server and explore the map. This game is just too much for my rig's current video card, and I am definitely upgrading it soon. I'm only patently waiting for the SP demo to make my final decision.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Just to stress again: It really isn't fair to judge the performance of the full game based on an online MP beta. The performance will be completely different to the gold code.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

What the hell are you smoking?

6. Glue

Glue What's a Dremel?

If you read the Crysis Beta forums, they have said that AA does not work in the beta. So just turn it off.
    I myself am enjoying the game at 1680x1050, 0 AA, everything high except object detail/shadows and physics(on med, me and some guys got the best results with this configuration). Also, thers a wierd bug with the sound which makes it lag alot too, put it to medium instead of high, you'll see another frame rate increase.

e6600 @ 3.3ghz
    4gigs of ram
    8800 GTX KO ACS3(factory overclocked)
    Vista ultimate 64

It's only going to get better from here. hope this helps.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's the biggest load of BS. Ever. We respect that companies have release dates and work with them, but when it comes to a review that's completely separate once the date has past. You know this, you've been told before, why do you keep pressing the same issue?

It's also why we have a completely separate industry bulletins forum so as not to mix it with editorial content, unlike other sites.

8. CardJoe

Unfortunately NDAs are an important part of the business in a number of different ways and can be used as rewards, punishments, threats and treats. They are as helpful for journalists as they are for PR and if I wasn't under some NDAs then my workload would quickly become unmanageable as we rushed to get all the possible content out - sacrificing quality and spoiling the games before they were released. It's a very default and short-sighted point of view to say that all NDAs are bad as, without them, journalism would be a much more difficult and complex task.

Of course, sometimes they can be a real bitch.

9. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Fact of the matter is for a long time I've looked at this and thought wow nice graphics but well whats after that? From what I've seen and heard of the story its been done before and very B movie, but wait I can shoot down trees.....then again I know after about 5 trees I'll get bored, its one thing making a beautiful game built on a top notch gaming engine its another making a good game.

As for the multiplayer doubt theres gonna be anything to attract me if i wanted to be invisible and 1 hit people I think ill play TF2 and go as the spy more fun than you can imagine when people shoot everywhere and anywhere after youve back stabbed someone then disappear. If I wanna drive tanks or cars I'd play Battlefield 2 or ET QW.

So for me this games bringing nothing new at the moment while Bioshock got the graphics right and the story spot on I feel Crysis is going to be a 1 trick pony look at me I'm pretty but past that it'll have no muscle.

10. Mad1723

Mad1723 What's a Dremel?

One thing for all of you who are experiencing low framerates... How much of you uses 163.71, latest beta from Nvidia on their Nvidia Hardware? I heard a lot of people at XtremeSystems talking about a huge boost in performance in Crysis(from 20's to 40's in outdoor and over 60 indoor, on high settings with a 8800GTX). If you guys uninstall, clean and reinstall properly the 163.71, you should get some decent performance.

The thing is that performance isnt always linked to a game... sometimes driver have to mature a bit, and Nvidia do continues to improve their driver throughout the beta! Anyway, have a good time playing it!

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, drivers are very important - especially with DX10 being pretty immature at the moment. From what the Crytek guys have said, they've been waiting for a stable DX10 driver for ages and only recently got that. :)

12. DeXtmL

DeXtmL What's a Dremel?

Somewhat disappointed with the performance( and some of the scr-shots).
    Why do you believe the final version would gain so much performance increment?

13. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

I don't know. but I wish he'd share.

14. MonkeyNutZ

MonkeyNutZ Crysis Fiend

'Still, even with anti-aliasing on full the game still looked rather jagged and sharp for our liking and there were a few clipping problems we spotted when we ran through the bushes.'

FYI, the beta doesn't support AA :thumb:

Also make sure you've got the proper drivers, that game should run mid 30's with that card.

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

So is the awful performance of this MP beta demo the reason the single player demo was put back too?

16. CardJoe

The beta isn't optimised code at all and is very much a work in progress. I've played betas before and its very rare for them to be representative of the final game performance wise. That said, with a little driver work it looks like even the beta can get improved.

The point of the article was more to get a feel for the MP side of Crysis, not to look at the performance or graphics that much because there's only so much you can gauge from a beta, especially when it doesn't do DX10 like it should and (this was news to me) can't do AA at all either.

17. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

Drivers? Drivers! Drivers?!

18. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Yay! I got quoted on a Bit-Tech article. I can die happy now.

19. CardJoe

:sigh: I'll get the gun...

;)

20. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'll give you permission to kill me in Crysis if we ever cross paths. Well, I'll give you the chance to kill me...

Tags: Add Tags