1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student arrested, Tasered at Kerry event

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 19 Sep 2007.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Original story

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

He's a professional sh*t disturber; an attention-whore. He wrote the perfect script, and unfortunately the police and news outlets all played their parts as he expected they would.

-monkey

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

So who's more to blame? The sh*t-stirrer who invited the police to go all Gestapo, or the police who readily fell into their reciprocal roles? As I said in the other thread, at least the student was being deliberately manipulative, but the police did what came naturally to them.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2007
  4. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

The studen had it coming, he was just baiting the police, and they responded as they saw fit. I can't see a problem with that, better than being shot with a 9mm.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

And if he had died, still better than being shot?

6. Mother-Goose

I'd rather take my chances with a taser wouldn't you?

7. steveo_mcg

good point... but before tasers would they honestly have shot the guy in front of the media just for being a dick? So should they have tasered him for that.

8. evilgreenie

evilgreenie Standby for Main Engine Burn

Taser use in the US is crazy. There were introduced as an alternative to firearms for pacifying violent or drugged people armed with anything *other* than a gun. Somewhere along the line they became commonplace punishment for non-cooperation of any kind. 4 guards with sufficient knowledge of restraint techniques should be able to get a pair of cuffs on someone or better still, remove them quickly from the scene, without resorting to public electrocution.

Then again, these were campus security. Same powers as the normal police but without the training...

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Apparently the police can't even use handcuffs anymore.

Edit: That is to say, it seems the police just can't get anything right anymore. Use a taser and you're the Gestapo. Forgo the taser, but if the person chokes herself on the handcuffs then you didn't de-escalate well enough.

-monkey

10. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Definitely his fault. They gave him plenty of warning. They told him "stop resisting or we're gonna tase you" and he continued to freak out. They told him multiple times they were going to tase him if he didn't calm down. He continued to struggle, he continued to cause a disturbance, and he got zapped. They didn't do anything wrong. He said his piece, asked his questions, and he should have left the place when they asked him to leave. It was clearly obvious that he did it on purpose and he got himself tased on purpose. Oh, and what a show did he put on! Screaming and crying like he was in sooooo much pain. "Don't tase me bro!" There are college students on youtube or similar sites that tase themselves on purpose just for laughs and they laugh it off. One chick even tased her boob. It was one of those crazy ones too, with the visible electrical arc going between the two electrodes.

Gonna have to get me a "Don't tase me bro!" bumper sticker. I can tell civil rights people that it's a protest bumper sticker against cops that use excessive force and I can tell everyone else it's a joke to make fun the of the guy who got tased.

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

We've abolished corporal punishment such as caning in schools or birching in prison, but inflicting pain by taser is still apparently OK. It can only encourage police brutality if the system is seen to condone it. Slippery slope.

12. evilgreenie

evilgreenie Standby for Main Engine Burn

Yeah well there's a million different makes of taser and anyone can hack the voltage.. Seriously a taser f*****g hurts. Its supposed to. Its sole purpose is to inflict so much pain that even a brain-addled druggie starts behaving like a kicked puppy. The rest of the guy's performance may be pure ham, but I'm pretty sure the taser-induced screaming wasn't...

13. Nexxo

My heart bleeds. In my mental health job we came across drunk/hysterical/psychotic people on a regular basis, and we rarely felt the need for restraint --and never for handcuffs. De-escalation is not rocket science. Anyone with a brain can do it. Hey, wait a minute... :worried:

Sorry, but both situations could have been easily resolved without as much as laying a finger on either hystrionic. And the police would have come out as the wises ones who are in control, not the bumbling bullies they look like now.

14. Mother-Goose

Well I'm hopefully joing the police (system testing really isn't interesting, even if it pays well). Hopefully I'll get to use a taser in the right situation, but personally if they aren't armed I'd preffer to go for a tackle to the ground.

That said, what if they've got a knife? Your stab vest only covers your torso, if I was the least bit suspicios they were armed in anyway I'd use the taser, but of course it will so easy to abuse, a shame because the reason they were introduced was sound in my eyes.

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I've worked in the mental health field, as well. I've seen first hand how effective de-escalation can be. I've also seen first hand how some situations ended in restraint, despite the professional's best attempts at talking the person down.

Perhaps that's the case. You may very well be right, but how can you be so absolutely sure? Especially in this most recent case (the woman in the airport), the event is too recent and details too sketchy to make absolute statements like that. There are numerous witnesses in that article and I get the impression that many of them were keyed up from the incident. It's easy to play the Monday-morning quarterback and talk about how easy it would have been for you to resolve the situation, but the fact is none of us really knows the full story.

I think it's best to wait and see what other facts surface after the autopsy and after the many statements are sorted.

-monkey

16. Nexxo

You're the one who brought up the comparison.

Last edited: 2 Oct 2007
  17. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Two points;
    • all press stories of taser abuse I've seen have involved unarmed victims whose crime was disobedience; hardly a life-threatening situation to the taser-wielder.

• "least bit suspicious" - if the officer is holding his taser ready to fire I'd expect him to know damned well the suspect is armed and about to use that armament before pulling the trigger; he's got the drop on the suspect ffs.
    The quote is about the UK situation, but it certainly applies to the excessive use of tasers:
    And the end result is another mistake. They're not common over here; I'd like to keep it that way, which means expecting guardians of the law to take a calculated risk rather than just play it safe to their own skin.

18. Raiderfan001

Raiderfan001 I know what a Dremel is.....

The tard deserved it. When a police officer tells you to do something you do it. At least if it is something he is allowed to tell you to do. Which in this case it was. He was being unruly and yelling at the cop. Serves him right.

19. steveo_mcg

Back to what was said earlier.... what if he died, did he deserve to die for being a "tard"?

20. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

I agree with this. That situation was so badly handled, they could have easily dealt with this situation without having to resort to violence. The guy is an ass, but the security shouldn't have done that.