1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I like mead, do you?

Discussion in 'General' started by dfhaii, 1 Aug 2007.

1. ReelFiles

ReelFiles What's a Dremel?

Never had it before, but wouldn't mind trying.

2. Stwongbad

Stwongbad What's a Dremel?

This is an awesome thread

3. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

I think I'm going to do a small test batch -- I have two 2ltr glass flagons formerly filled with cider that are begging to be turned into demi-demi-demijohns for this very purpose.

Wonder if I can get away with tesco value honey :p

4. Cinnander

Sorry to dig up an old-ish thread.

So I gave this a try, using a smaller container and so less honey and water, and without the fruit.
    Basically 2 months (I'd guess) later the airlock has stopped bubbling, but what I have isn't clear, it's just a lighter colour than it was when it started. It looks kind of like cloudy lemonade.

Anyway, I had started 3 batches off (they cost like 1.30 a pop if I use baking yeast, so whatever) and have just opened the first -- doesn't seem to have worked. I'll give the other two a shot but I'm not hopeful, the second is much like the first (though the first MAY have got air exposure via a leaky airlock), but the third has more honey so is darker, looks more like yours.
    All three are staying cloudy, despite the accumulation of crud at the bottom : (

Any idea what could have gone wrong, assuming it didn't get air exposure? What I have here certainly aint mead - smells like Strongbow and though I dare not taste it I'd imagine it's probably a bit vinegary.

Ciao

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You didn't use fruit? So it's just honey, water and yeast? And less honey and water (but the same amount of yeast) at that?

Just a guess, but that may be your problem.

6. Cinnander

<pedant>Well, yes, that's what mead is :p</pedant>
    It was two jars of honey (1kg, ~2.2lbs), water to make up to 2 litres, and "a yeast" (7g?). It looked ok when it started :p

Will buy some different yeast over xmas and have another shot, I think, still I'd like to know if there's a specific reason it failed. :\ I was looking forward to some meady goodness for the holiday period : ( My dreams, like so many Vikings, are crushed! They're cheap to make so I'll try again (as I said it's less than 3 quid for 2 litres), but I'm obviously doing something bad. Possibly the yeast.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2007
  7. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

Wait a little longer, it usually takes a while to clear after airlock activity stops.

8. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

Actually yesterday night I was decanting 'Chateau profqwerty' from the demijohns into bottles and corking them....21 bottles of wine on the wall!

3 demijohns were grape juice, the 4th was elderflower (which now tastes pretty iffy if you ask me). I was surprised to find it had actully worked and was pretty alcoholic! another 2 months in the bottles at least and they might just taste quite nice!
    hands hurt like heck after all the boiling water (unfortunately I don't have asbestos hands...might do now though) almost pulled a nail off with the corking thing.