1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BT and FON launch largest Wi-Fi community

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I signed up to FON when they gave away the free routers. It's a good service only no one comes up my street looking for a broadband connection.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Likewise, living in the country, there's no one round to share my connection :(

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i would consider if it had like 200m range....

5. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

until I get a laptop, I really could care less.....but it sounds neat.....

6. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I've been with Fon now for about 2 years or so, which is almost from the start.

Currently running as a bill and i'm _actually_ getting paying users! although not many or much.

The idea is great, I just need to move near to a cafe/coffee shop/pub and see how it goes then....

7. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Is this on the State's side or just a European thing?
    It sounds really cool. Over here there's alot of issues with people using other people's connections and the legality of it.
    (My belief is that if you don't lock your router, its like someone watching your TV cause you have the blinds open.)
    It would be nice to see something like this that does away with all that kind of stuff.
    If its fast and secure then I say that it should be implemented with full force.
    On the money side, what does it pay? About the same as putting banner ads on a website?
    At anyrate, if the price was similar to typical broadband with comparable speeds, I'm all for this! :clap:

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I also signed up for the free router... I also managed to brick it while attempting to flash it to Linksys firmware. Oh well, I got a sticker and an ethernet cable out of it.

9. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

lol, just buy linksys next time. they last for damn near ever, and since 802.11n was recently ratified (was surprised it didn't make bit-tech) the first final rev wireless-n hardware will be out soon

10. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Was it the Linksys router that they shipped free that you bricked? if so in most cases they can be unbricked without resorting to soldering a jtag to the router.

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

If you have FON, and someone downloads either lots of stuff (causing you to go over you bandwidth allowance) or illegal stuff, what happens then? I would guess you had to pay for the bandwidth, but how would you argue that it was someone else using your connections for pirating?

Also, for those of us that live in the middle of nowhere (me when i am at home) this just basically gives free wireless broadband in loads of locations doesn't it? I can't really see someone parking on our drive just to use the internet!:eyebrow:

12. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

The way I understand the law in the UK is that the owner of the access point is ultimately responsible for what happens on it.

From speaking to an ex-colleague (SysAd at an UK ISP) when he had to deal with the relevant Police department that deals with Internet crimes (I forget the actual name of it) they stated that having an open wireless network and claiming that 'someone else' used the access point to break the law is not an excuse in the eyes of the law, It is your access point and your responsibility.

This seems to have stemmed from issues where peado's would leave their wifi open so that when a knock on the door came from the law sicko would claim no knowledge and state that someone else must have done it as their wifi was not secure.

As far as I'm aware with Fon users must register when accessing the service, while this info can be faked, it at least gives you something to provide to the law in the event of someone breaking the law via your net connection.

Sorry if the above is not very coherent, i'm on night shifts this week and not getting enough sleep :wallbash:

13. tomfoth

tomfoth What's a Dremel?

FON? I wonder what this stands for. Well, most of us in IT already know it to stand for Fiber Optic Network. But it isn't. Is it?

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I believe it stands for Free Open Network

Tags: Add Tags