1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which HDD Brand??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by n0ferz, 5 Oct 2007.

1. n0ferz

n0ferz What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys I am building a new System and I want to know what brand should I buy my new HDD, I want to buy atleast 2 so I can make RAID 0 with them.

I am open to all suggestions, this system will be used mainly for gaming purposes. Thanks all!!

Let the comments flow!

2. Raiderfan001

Raiderfan001 I know what a Dremel is.....

Seagate and Western Digital are who I buy most of my drives from. Really though they both have warranties and make good drives. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either one. Seagate does have a longer warranty though I think. Hitachi and Samsung drives are good as well.

3. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

Another vote for Western Digital here, never had any issues with them and i'd also look at the seagates. Hitachi I wont buy again after the trouble I had with the dreaded deathstars.

4. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Yeah WD is probably the best brand I own with Seagate as the second. I dropped my WD 80GB from my monitor to the nice carpeted floor below and it still works (stress testing since 2005) it still works and I think I'll use it to backup my systems.
    The seagates are nice if your a new first time builder as the warranty protects you from most your mistakes.

5. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

Agree - Seagate / WD

6. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

I've had more WDs die on me than other brands.
    Hitachis are my current favs but Samsung are good too.

7. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Samsungs are very quiet, pretty cool running, and almost as fast as the seagates and wd's

If you are trying to get every ounce of performance out of the rig then seagate 7200.10's would be your best bet I think.

8. n0ferz

n0ferz What's a Dremel?

Thanks

Thank you all for your suggestions, I think I will go with the Seagate Brand :thumb:.

9. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

surely that would be Raptors albeit at a cost?
    Having just looked into performance of 320Gb HDDs (as I'm about to buy 1) the Hitachi T7K500 seems to come out best overall from the reviews that I've read but there aren't massive differences between any of them really.

10. n00btard

n00btard Go away

samsung

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

my Western Digital SE16 500DB AAKS gets a score of 5.9 in Vista..... and loads Crysis Beta within 30seconds. Bioshock... well Bioshock is very quick, didn't count.

i was facing with same decision, i went for middle ground. Seagate i heard was noisy, while Samsung i heard wasn't as fast as WD/Seagate, but quiet

12. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Seagate and Western Digital. But, if you want the best performance for the money at the moment, then Seagate is really your only choice. Their 7200.10 and .11 drives are very, very fast.

13. n0ferz

n0ferz What's a Dremel?

Thanks all I will buy Seagate, I was thinking about getting a Raptor from WD but maybe they are too pricey and the performance wont be that far from a Seagate ???

14. ccsharry

ccsharry What's a Dremel?

WD AAKS series is quicker than Seagate 7200.10.

I owned 2 7200.10 and a 5000AAKS. I can confirm the WD is quicker!!

Harry

15. ccsharry

ccsharry What's a Dremel?

If you always deal with small files reading/writing, then go for a raptor. Otherwise, most of the new 500GB harddisk are speedy enough and you can't really tell the difference between the raptor and 7200rpm in pure reading/writing big files now...

my WD5000AAKS does 85MB/s reading/writing maximum... and I heard the yet to release seagate 7200.11 will touch the 100MB/s mark!! i look forward to get one of those!!

Harry