1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Power button idea?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by 12modderz, 3 Oct 2007.

1. 12modderz

12modderz L33T еÐ3!

It probably sounds crazy if I'm wrong but is it possible to get a fingerprint reader to turn a computer on?
    Just a crazy idea I came up with while reading a touch sensitive power button guide. :rock:

2. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

i would say its definitely possible. i'm not that big on tech, but someone on here definitely knows how to.
    great idea

3. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

i know a lot of laptops and keyboards already use fingerprint readers but i'm not sure if they actually turn on the computer though rather than just recognize a user.

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I'm not sure how those fingerprint readers work, but I'd guess that a power switch would require some kind of physical momentary circuit of some sort to supply power-lead to the system.

5. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

not likely to be able to work although if you go for a reader that is like the strip that you swipe across and you want to have the effect of turning on the pc with the reader then you could mount a small touch sensitive button and then you could have similar to having 1 swipe to turn on and 1 swipe to log in

6. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 What's a Dremel?

im guessing you would have to have power to the fingerprint reader to make it work

so wouldnt that mean the pc would already be on?

unless you can find away of powering it seperatly.

7. 500mph

crack the case of the fingerprint reader open, a then take a 5volt line into the case(of the reader) and you could probably use a small Ac>DV converter rated for 5volts

8. ReelFiles

ReelFiles What's a Dremel?

I always wanted a biometrics power button, aren't they commercially available?

9. dan-ere-07

humm that would work
    how much do they cost cos ill ahve ago at it.

10. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

There is a 5VSB on your Powersupply it is always on. Depending on the reader you may have to make a small circuit to get it to work.

11. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

5vsb should be used sparingly, as the ATX spec only *recommends* that it be capable of proving up to 2A. That's quite a lot of juice but bear in mind the cooling of the PSU is off even if you draw a bunch of power from 5VSB, so unless you know the PSU is capable it might be a bit risky (no active cooling = hot vregs)

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Aren't you all forgetting something? If the computer is off, what is going to compare the scanned fingerprint against the stored biometric user data, if not the PC software that drives the fingerprint scanner?

What you need is a fingerprint scanner that functions autonomously, and that requires something with its own processor and memory. Not cheap. Unless you can mod a PDA with fingerprint scanner to verify you and in turn switch on the PC.

13. 500mph

look below

so what i'm thinking (not sure about the o.p.) is that you mount the small touch sensitive button, or a pressure button in the fingerprint reader, and that will be used to turn the computer on, and then when its on, you use the fingerprint scanner normally.

or, just make you own wire/jumper that normal mounts on your mobo, extend it all the way out of you case , up the usb cord, and into the casing of the fingerprint reader. and then you cane mount a normal momentary switch on the fingerprint reader that will turn the computer on

etc, etc, etc

14. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Nexxo: Shouldn't you be able to run a USB scanner off a PICAXE?
    As for the 5VSB it would depend on the current draw. Most scanners are USB so that's a max of .5A then again I wouldn't think it would draw that much would it? Just check your PSU, mine is rated at 3A.
    I have found a couple of standalone readers aswell, but cannot find a place that stocks them, let alone prices.
    The SecuGen Fingerprint Sensors and the BiokeyBKS-1700.

15. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Won't be long before an IC in combination with flash ROM would suffice, I'd imagine.
    Till then, I guess you'd have to settle for simple user authentication, although it's feasible that you could induce a wake state from low power cycle, such as STR.

Intel did a bunch of product testing in the Biometric User Authentication field, which gives a lead on a few potential candidates.
    Makes for some interesting reading too... wonder how they thought up the Lacrosse ball test?! :lol:

[edit] Although this fingerprint scanner is meant for password usage, I wonder if you could do something in conjunction with Wake on USB to bring a machine out of STR?
    [edit2]or this microsoft one, for that matter.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2007
  16. dan-ere-07

could you make a switch which uses temprature and has a beam of light go across it to make it look like its scanning your finger.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Pug! Long time no see! :thumb:

Those unity rely on the PC to do their thinking for them. A two-stage turn on first, then authenticate would be possible, but there is up to 45 seconds boot time in between. Not elegant.

18. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Hey mate. :thumb:
    That's why I was on about having it wake from STR (Suspend to RAM).
    Given a Wake On USB setup, it should only be a matter of a few seconds, at most, if my rigs are anything to go by.