1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Hey that looks great.

Here is one I did earlier in the year.

[​IMG]

This is a case I worked on. Still have to do the MB tray.

[​IMG]

BenJ

2. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

3. Marci

4. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

5. Marci

6. Jedda

Jedda What's a Dremel?

Slowly getting my head around working in this app. Lot of fun so far.
    Could anyone give some hints on extruding a circle along a path? I'm trying to add WC tubing to a model layout.
    Scooby seems to have it sorted. Hint hint
    Cheers

7. Marci

Wotcha fella - Draw a line that is the path your tubing will follow (center line). Draw a circle at end of that line (center of circle on end of line). Use the follow-me tool from surface of circle, drag along the line... done! Tricky bit is drawing the line accurately along the path you want it to follow...

For proper tubing with wall thickness etc, place circle within a circle, and delete the smaller of the twos surface - leaves you with a ring... extrude the rings surface...

See http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-4866.html

Last edited: 8 Oct 2007
  8. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Very nice on the MountainMods H2G0! Their first run of those cases just came in. I'm going to be modding a MM Bob Slay case soon. Keep up the great work!

9. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Marci is right on the money, making a tube or a round bar is very simple it gets tricky when you want it to go from point A to point B. One thing I noticed is when making the arcs or curves is that if you select it and it is segmented meanning when selected only segments get highlighted your tube may come out incomplete, make sure that when you select the acrs that they are all selected as one unit.

Anywho...here is a step-by-step of how I make a tube with curves.

1. Creat your path.
    [​IMG]

2. Add a circle to one end, in this case we want to creat at tube so we add a second smaller circle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Delete the center circle as seen below.
    [​IMG]

4. Select your path as seen on the image above, now with your Follow Me tool select the circle and cleck on it just once. This tell the Follow Me tool to follow the selected path. You end up with this.
    [​IMG]

5. Notice the path line still in the component, well it your going to make a transperant tube you want to get rid of that path. Select Wire Frame and now select the path and delete it as seen below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. You will end up with this after you add your texture.
    [​IMG]

TIP: Alway remember your faces, if you go to your view tools the ones that have 6 boxes, cleck on Moncrhome (the last box) if your component has a BLUE color to it that is the back face, WHITE indicates front face. All your models should have FRONT FACES. This is a important part of modling in SU. It will make the differance when you do rendering. To do this select the face or area that is blue when viewed in Monochrome, right cleck and select Reverce Faces. The selected area will now be white indecating front of face.

I hope this help you all out. Keep on practicing on this and you'll get the hang of it soon.:thumb:

Scoob:D

Last edited: 16 Dec 2007
  10. Marci

Or do the path on a separate layer, then hide the layer - that way if you ever need to make changes you can delete the tube, tweak the path, and recreate the tube...

I also found it easier to draw the path using hard 90 deg lines, then use the arc tool...

[​IMG]
    Get your line from Point A to Point B using straight lines and 90 deg angles...

[​IMG]
    Then add arcs across each corner...

[​IMG]
    Remove the hard corners...

[​IMG]
    Extrude the tube with the follow-me tool.

Now assign the guide line to a different layer, and hide that layer.

TIP: Easier to paint the tube-ring before you extrude it... otherwise after extruding you have to spin it about to paint the internal surface.

11. Marci

12. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

with the guide for the follow me tool, you could just delete it after you have done...

13. Marci

Read the post 2up from yours, and the one above that. You've missed the point whilst trying to state the obvious (which had already been stated anyway).

Last edited: 9 Oct 2007
  14. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Sorry, was just looking at the pretty pickys and skip reading

15. Jedda

Jedda What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, extremely helpful!

@Scooby
    I get it. That faces bit is like flipping normals. Pieces are starting to click into place with my understanding.
    @Marci
    Thanks mate. The straight line, radius later, workflow helps a lot with constructing a path in all three axis. That's coming at the task more like a nurbs modeler than the SDS poly apps I'm more familiar with. You are sure turning out some nice models. Very useful ones too.

Is there a clear listing of the differences between the free and Pro versions around somewhere?

Cheers

16. scooby

scooby Minimodder

No prob Jedda, thats what we're here for. I think the differance between the FREE and the Pro is.......................$495.00 big ones. I'm been using it since SU 4. Read the statement below.

"Google SketchUp Pro 6 is software that you can use to create, share and present 3D models. The Pro version of SketchUp provides extra functionality for people who need to export their work into CAD, rendering and other professional software applications. SketchUp Pro 6 also includes LayOut, a completely new program that lets you create complete presentations—paper and digital—from your SketchUp models." Source: Google SketchUp.com

K, now you guys have no excuses for making bad tubes. As you can see their are several ways of producing different shapes in SU, find one that is easiest for you and master it.

For more Tutorials and How-Tos check these links out.

http://groups.google.com/group/sketchup-how-to/topics

http://www.sketchucation.com/scf/viewforum.php?f=71&sid=774a8b6742fd49fa1acff490a7362268

You can even watch some great video tutorial here:

http://download.sketchup.com/downloads/training/tutorials50/Sketchup Video Tutorials.html

@Marci, man you one busy bee...love the work bro. BTW I'll send that file to you soon.

TIP: When working on small detailed components you may have discovered that using any of the draw tools that they don't seem to come out the way you want them to. SketchUp is some what size sensitive. If you come cross this I just increase that size of the component using the Scale Tool. In millimeters I would type 10 in the VCB (Value Control Box) do what I need to do then using the Scale Tool again type in .1 in the VCB and it is back to it's original size with no draw problems. You guy may have other tricks on this, and would love to hear them but for now this seems to work for me.

HTH:naughty:
    Scooby

Last edited: 16 Dec 2007
  17. Marci

My aim is to make up a complete system of doing things when it comes to watercooling. We have Martin's Flowrate Calculator for working out flow in advance of purchase. We have the ExtremePSUCalc for working out (rough and erring on the side of values that are too high rather than too low - building to accomodate more heat than you're producing is never a bad thing) heatloads in advance of purchase. We have radiator data for working out thermal dissipation in advance of purchase. We have fan data and testing to allow folks to correctly choose their fans according to thermal dissipation requirements and noise requirements (all covered here).

All that's needed is a "will it all fit / how will it all fit in my case" in advance of purchase, so then (in theory) there's nothing stopping the avg-joe (other than a lack of Sketchup models of current popular cases) getting the right bits to cool their system satisfactorily and having it fit in their chassis properly. Sketchup fits the bill perfectly!

18. Jedda

Jedda What's a Dremel?

That combination of resources is certainly coming together. I've used every one of them in planning my build.

19. Marci

Quick note - DDC Ultra drawing has been updated.... Scooby has corrected the duff tube intersection within the plexitop that I couldn't get me head around (cheers bro!)

20. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder