1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite book

Discussion in 'General' started by fg0d, 5 Jun 2004.

1. banished

banished Necromodder

My favorite is On My Way to Paradise by Dave Wolverton, one of the best written sci-fi books that I have ever read, and I read many. And to top it off, it was Wolverton's first book. My second favorite would have to be Ender's game, though the rest of the books in the trilogy (which I think is up to 5 books now) are good also, though not as good as the first.

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

[​IMG]
    This is a nice little read. its only short, very easy to read, but it changed the way i approach life in general. For the better IMO.

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

thought id resurect this thread and concur with mr spiral architect!
    a work of pure genius

4. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Proper bo, I tell thee.

[​IMG]

5. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

Player's Handbook 3.0, by Wizards of the Coast. :D

I can read pretty much anything. I get hooked on things very easily.

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I have not read a book in a long long time, but i think it would be one that i can't for the life of me remember what its called.
    It had a fox, 3 cider farmers (one fat, one thin, and one smelly) and lots of words.

Sam

7. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

One book is pretty hard to decide. These are my favorite books that I've read in the last 5 years.

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed the whole Adversary Cycle series, but I think The Keep is the best one.

8. Teyber

Teyber ******

9. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel, this is a book i listened to recently on Audible, very good books 32 hours long though did take a long time but it was very good, set in the in between the Georgian era and the Victorian.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Quoted for three-years-aged truth.

I quite like the HP series as well, and a lot of stuff in the fantasy genre as a whole. Though truth be told, most of what I tend to read is reference material in some manner or another (development handbooks, etc).

11. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

*bans*

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester - in a world where psychic's are a large part of society and form the the police forces, one millionaire decided to murder his business rival. The book switches between the villain and the cop chasing him as they form an unlikely friendship. The cop knows from the start that the main character is guilty, and the two have a furious battle of wits to try and keep pace with each other.

AND

Beggars in Spain - Nancy Kress. Genetic modification creates a group of 32 children who never need to sleep, creating huge racial conflicts with the rest of society as they harness their extra time to learn, grow and enhance mankind.

AND

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream - Harlan Ellison. A short story about the last five people left alive, kept alive and tortured forever by a super computer with the ability to reshape reality. The five of them have to learn to cope and try and escape the wrath of the machine in a world filled only with despair and bleak hopelessness.

13. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

That sounds cheary :eyebrow:

14. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Recent favourite:
    [​IMG]
    Not since Fight Club have a I read a book that sizzled with such fierce originality and searing vision as Steven Hall's electrifying debut novel, The Raw Shark Texts. It's a twisting, trippy thriller that tears through the landscape of language, revealing the lurking terrors uncovered in every letter of the written word. Steven Hall swims in the same surreal waters as pop-culture pioneers David Lynch and Michel Gondry, and The Raw Shark Texts deserves to be shelved somewhere between Trainspotting and Life of Pi. It pulls you under like a riptide, leaving you exhausted, exhilarated, and gasping for air.

All time favourite:
    [​IMG]
    On The Road, the most famous of Jack Kerouac's works, is not only the soul of the Beat movement and literature, but one of the most important novels of the century. Like nearly all of Kerouac's writing, On The Road is thinly fictionalized autobiography, filled with a cast made of Kerouac's real life friends, lovers, and fellow travelers. Narrated by Sal Paradise, one of Kerouac's alter-egos, On the Road is a cross-country bohemian odyssey that not only influenced writing in the years since its 1957 publication but penetrated into the deepest levels of American thought and culture. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

Can't recommend either of them highly enough.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2007
  15. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I'de love to put down some of the classic scifi books I've read, like the Demolished Man and do androids dream of electric sheep etc but they are not my favorites to read. much prefer the easy read trashy scifi/fantasy books, and my favourites would be the ones that make me want to read the whole series so
    Storm Front by Jim Butcher
    Dead witch walking by Rachel Morgan
    Magician by Raymond E Feist
    Waylander by David Gemmel (not the first in the series but one that sticks out to me)
    the city watch books by Terry Pratchett (Guards Guards, men at arms, feet of clay etc)
    and Possibly my favourite book ever Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Last edited: 11 Oct 2007
  16. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

We were soldies once, and young - but I can't remember the author off the top of my head. It is the book the film was made from. An amazing read, and when you watch the movie, rather than trying to show the entire book and missing bits out, it focuses on a certain part and gets every detail right.

I also have to add the Harry Potter series, absolutely brilliant writing and a great story :)

17. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Isn't that ther matrix? ;)

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Illusions by Richard Bach

and

Stranger in a strange land by Robert Heinline

Both deal woith the belief that reality is arbitrary and by changing what we believe we can change the reality we live with.

19. shadow12

shadow12 I lie

I second Peter F Hamilton - Definitely one of my favourite sci-fi aithors
    The Reality Dysfunction (Night's Dawn Trilogy)
    [​IMG]

Finished Magician and on second book of series.

Love the Belgariad by David Eddings

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream was made into a game if I remember correctly. Sounds like an interesting book will have to look it up.

20. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

"Tenser, said the tensor" (rpt.)

Have you read The Stars My Destination?

This may turn into quite a list, as I cant choose just one book...

General scifi

(With plenty of science please)

Iain (M) Banks' Culture books. (start with either Player of Games or Look to Windward)

Against a Dark Background (Us, if we don't get off this rock...)

The Algebraist

Charles Stross' Laundry books (Hackers, Demonology, Bond meets Lovecraft)

Hienlien's The Cat Who Walked Through Walls

The Ringworld trilogy

Military scifi.

Pournelle's Falkenberg's Legion series,
    John Ringo's (and collaborators) A Hymn Before Battle and the rest of the Aldenata and Posleen War series' (centauroid space locusts); Into The Looking Glass etc (insert hegemonising swarm here).

And one I can't locate called Jihad, about aliens wanting to liberate 'Holy Terra' from us unbelieving humans.

Other stuff

The Hobbit, The Lord of The Rings,

Most books by the following:
    Jack Higgins,
    Tom Clancy,
    Dale Brown,
    Frederick Forsyth,
    Robert Ludlum,
    Vince Flynn,

- H.

As you may imagine, I have bookshelves.