1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Oct 2007.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

playing it now and honestly i'm truly dissapointed by the fact that theres no team speak built in. it's crucial to a team based game and without it i feel like the game is more of a game that has teams rather than a game that encourages team work. you do your own thing mostly.
    my biggest gripe about the game. other than that it's pretty enjoyable. not fussed about graphics cuz the game never really touts itself as a visually groundbreaking game (with the exception of megatextures) if crysis looked crap, THEN i would complain.
    also, i tend to find that most missions play the same. ie, move/stop MCP, hack/stop from hacking then destroy/stop from destroying. it's like exactly the same game under a different skin.

2. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

What you had enough time to focus on that sort of stuff? I was normally too busy running around helping team mates shoot stuff, repairing deployables or trying not to get shot to even notice. To all those that hated the demo a resounding meh to you all, which CAN be issued as a voice command btw. I thought the demo was a great improvement over the beta, and that the game play rocked once you found a team that wasnt full of complete retards.

3. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

The voice commands should generally suffice for team communication - I haven't noticed the omission, although it seems alike a huge oversight if not there. In respect to teamwork, I agree that you are generally encouraged to just do your own thing, however the objective-based gameplay does encourage players towards the same areas of the maps, so you are kind of forced into activity that benefits the team as a whole. If you want to just kill people then your still helping, because those people are trying to complete objectives themselves and you're stopping them. Yes, the missions are repetitive, but not overly so for a multiplayer game. Besides, has that hindered Counter-Strike or Team Fortress? ;)

4. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Yes I did actually. I do that with all games though, just to see what they're doing. The demo was pretty fun to play, I was just disappointed by the Megatextures not being what they're all cracked up to be.

5. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

I agree that the messages are a bit annoying, due to size and position on the screen, which is why the developers put in a wonderful setting, to allow you to change how transparent the HUD/messages are. You can even remove them if they're annoying you that much. Regarding ingame VOIP, is there a need for it? Games I've seen it available (i.e Counterstrike) I hardly hear anyone using it and most servers seem to have their own teamspeak channel. I think the developers realise that Teamspeak etc is more widely adopted so why bother introducing their own system. One thing I was concerned with, was the snipers within the game. The strogg Icaris allows any member to reach the unreachable areas for the GDF (unless they have a bumblebee availabe). Luckily the sniper gives away a big trail when firing so that it's fairly straight forward to counter snipe without them dominating the map. See you server side folks:clap:

6. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

from a mod point of view, I heard megatextures were putting homebrew mappers in a fit, as 3gigs is a lot for a texture file for one map. I wonder if the ground is still painted and such with pre-existing textures as done in most recent fps' or is there someother way terrain textures are generated. I also wonder if map makers have to deal with the large textures or is it already compressed

7. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

This game was the biggest let down for me. It had such big expectations from me and no matter how many people knock it - Battlefield 2142 still holds the crown for me. Its got a great game engine and teamplay matters - its not like everyone is running around on crack like headless chickens at such insane speeds - and the vehicles dont drive like cardboard boxes atleast in b2142 -they all have their own unique feel yet in QWET they drive like complete ****. Graphics arnt impressive at all, what a **** of a game.

8. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

after playing the demo, i really don't see the fun in this game, Its sort of like BF2 but with less guns and less teamwork, and also you die alot faster

Does the full version really add anything to this ?

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

probably because when you fire a weapon in etqw the bullet doesnt shoot off randomly anywhere in an arc of about 180 degrees of where you're looking

i was so looking forward to this game having been a massive RTCW and ET fan, its slightly disappointing
    i think without vehicles and slightly smaller maps it would've been much better, its basically bf2 but better imo
    however the best map in bf2 is/was karkand, because it took away the power of vehicles and had no choppers that could just rape everything on the map in about 5 seconds
    vehicles in shooters = teh suck imo

still, having said that, im enjoying it
    getting nostalgic running around as a medic healing myself and killing anything that moves :ps

10. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

I agree with all of you completely, especially Solidus. After playing the Demo I had a game of 2142 and PMSL, then quickly went to play.com and canceled. ( I had early username registration, but it still canceled) Joe is it really worthy of an 8? Also why many people aren't playing it? Because as we've said is freakin' awful!

11. completemadness

They should have lowered the damage then, its like 2 shots and you die in ET:QW - it gets a bit boring

I don't really agree here, having vehicles (as you would in real war) calls for different tactics, and much better teamwork, Of course, you do need to limit them, because you don't want it to become tank wars

That was something else i didn't like about ET:QW, the AT gun is way underpowered, and vehicles rape everyone and everything

12. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

only for headshots, you can take a lot of torso or limb shots
    every shooter that has vehicles in them does degenerate into tank wars though, thats the problem
    maybe if you just had transport vehicles like the quad bikes and icaruses in etqw then it wouldnt be a problem, but vehicles just rape infantry and it doesnt make for fun gaming

13. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

In battlefield 2142 or bf2 its never been about tank wars - having a vehicle in closely confined spaces spells doom - they are simple to take down as a rorsch laser turret is never far and aiming at its weakspots takes it down in 1-2 hits of your philum. Iv never once thought its about tanks or mechs, they dont become a problem when you get good enough at it, its about thinking fast and using the environment - iv had games where iv spawned right infront of an enemy mech who spots me and begins to shoot - at which point i dive behind a little bit of elevated ground, missing the bullets and watching them fly by - timing it correctly and knowing the mechs railguns overheat - i got up and ran as he waited for them to recoil at which point i was around a corner. Pull out your philum or make your way to the nearest rorsch - if thats not available then well - RUN. You dont have to take it down right now, live to fight another day and stay next to buildings with cover - its easy.

Sorry to ramble on, i find it easy on bf2142 to take down tanks and mechs, never had a problem. This Quake wars is pure and utter cr4p however. Im looking forward to Team Fortress 2 now - jeez that better not let me down...or crysis....i would like a need multiplayer game to whoop people at! :)

14. Major

Major Guest

Lol your kidding right?

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I found that you do tend to die easily too - not quite that bad but it makes it difficult to get to grips with. It wouldn't be so bad if you could respawn faster. Either way, it's not that hard once you get to grips with it. Keep using the ironsights.

16. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Regarding Megatexture:

You say you've not seen a game recently Joe where tiling textures were a problem, does Oblivion count as a recent game? If you remove the trees and grass it becomes painfully clear just how poor tiling textures can make a game look. As for FarCry doing something similar: true FarCry generated one big texture that roads and stuff were painted onto, but that big texture was actually just made up of lots of smaller tiled textures baked together, not really the same as Megatexture, which features no tiling at all if it's created well. Literally, every square foot is different to the next. Well, if the texture artists were good enough to use it like that, it certainly has the potential to be totally unique anyway.

Can't comment on the gameplay though, but to whoever it was who said you couldn't get a better intense team playing experience than Team Arena, they were right, that was a woefully underappreciated game.

17. completemadness

Or look at steam games, texture differences on them look so obvious

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Oblivion was a problem, true, if you got rid of grass and trees - but who'd do such a thing? And why, for the love of god - wwWWWHHHHHHhhhhyyyYYYY?!

19. Kufwit

Kufwit What's a Dremel?

Voice comms and the fact that your squad mates are in a different colour works wonders. BF2/2142 got the teamplay element right on. You just need the right people. In my opinion QW have failed miserably. I have only ever seen one fire squad in any game I have played. And that was mine.

The objectives are spoon fed to you. there is no need for tactics as everyone has to go for the same thing. No sneaking round the back here.

But I'm going to play this till November then COD4 will completely destroy it and the game will die.

Tags: Add Tags