1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors UK Road tax confusion!

Discussion in 'General' started by ric449, 14 Oct 2007.

1. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, need help with my new car. I bought it yesterday (used) so I have the bottom two parts of the vehicle log book while I wait for the new one. Anyway, because I don't have the full book that means I can't tax my car over the internet or phone. So, its off to the post office Monday morning.

This is where I am stuck. I can tax my car at the post office with just the bottom two parts of the log book, and I have my MOT etc, but I only got insured yesterday, so obviously I'm waiting for my cover note to turn up. I do have a printout of my policy, but the post office website says that they ned an original cover note or an insurance certificate. Does anyone know how strictly they enforce this? If I walked in with my printout would they just say no? I'm just a little worried right now that I have an insured but untaxed car sat outside my house :worried:

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

You'll need to wait on the certificate from the insurer, the post office will not take any thing else. You need part of the log book, basically the bit the seller doesn't send to the DVLA.

3. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

Damnit! If I am caught with it outside my house without tax are they likely to go easy on me if I explain or should I ask a mate if I can put it in his driveway?

4. steveo_mcg

tbh with the new rules, you'd have to sorn it to get around being done. I went a couple of days without tax last year and didn't get a fine through the door so i wouldn't worry too much.... just don't drive it!

5. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

To be safe i'd put it in the driveway - theres not much leeway nowadays ! :blah:

6. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

Ok, cheers guys. Real shame though, after driving a Clio the whole time I was looking forward to driving a real car (VW Golf 1.6, year 2000) :(.

7. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

my dad lost his checkbook,mot and insurance doc, when he went to tax the car(the day it runs out typical for my dad), We went away the next day for the weekend, He got a letter though the post warnimng of proscution but he sorted the tax that week and we never heard anything about it again.

8. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

Well, I just hope my cover note turns up soon. I did it online on Saturday at around 1PM, so it probably won't turn up tomorrow. I'm hoping Tuesday as long as Royal Mail don't screw me over.

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

There's a postal strike from Monday

10. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I f**king hate Royal Mail!!! So not only do I not have a drivable car, because of Royal Mail I may even get it taken away or get a huge fine. Well thats just great. Thanks for your help though.

11. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

There's still unofficial (illegal) strikes

13. ỒĊBłůē

ỒĊBłůē Also available in black

AFAIK there's a 14-day grace period for you to sort out the tax on your car, and the DVLA computer allegedly flags cars without SORNs 30 days after their tax has expired.

If your car is parked on a public road without a valid tax disk, PC Miserable B*stard or a Traffic Warden is likely to take great delight in issuing you a ticket.

14. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

You have communists to thank for that :)

15. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

You could try taxing it by phone, they can check your insurance in a big database.

16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

How did you get the car back to your place if it wasn't taxed. The previous owner must have declared it sorn or taxed it at some point?

17. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

We put it on a trailer and dropped it off on my street. The car was in a yard off the road so I'm guessing it was SORNed.

I tried the phone service but the robot on the other end said that I need the full log book to do it. If I don't there is a chance the tax disk could be sent to the previous owners address.

18. steveo_mcg

Your details would need to be on the DVLA computer, which means getting the full log book. If you had that you could do it on the web in about a minute.... course you'd still need the physical disk to stop you from getting ticketed, tax in the post isn't an excuse(ala Dell Boy), and for that your still at the mercy of the RM of course if RM were being reliable you'd have your certificate from your insurer and you wouldn't need to do it online.

19. ric449

ric449 What's a Dremel?

Yep, either way I guess I'm playing the waiting game. Its like its just sitting there on the driveway, taunting me with its good looks, look but don't touch! :(

20. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

That pisses me the hell off tbh, nowadays a lot of things are online only, yet the stupid post office morons who still believe it's 1938 demand originals.

I'm with Swiftcover at the moment, and they don't send you f-all, you print out all the documents you need.
    Same goes with stores which ask for original bank / utility statements when they want to give you credit, most of these things are only online nowadays.

Move with the times FFS

/end rant

hope you get sorted

Tags: