1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Free Radiohead album distributed by pirates

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Oct 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Not really surprising is it, any chart topping band will be torrented eventually.

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Quite sad really, I got it from the Radiohead site and put in the sum of £0.00
    Maybe people don't realise you can actually do that or as in the article, people find it easier to go to their torrent sites and hit that download button.

4. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Not a surprise at all, there will be some people who won't have realized you can get it for free, or they don't know where to get it from so they revert back to there normal source (torrent sites, etc).

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I downloaded from the official site for free and didn't like it. I was planning on paying £4 or something if I had liked it. I really didn't though and it hasn't even made its way onto itunes.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

So what's the difference between downloading it from Radiohead's site for £0.00 and getting it from BitTorrent? :)

7. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

there cheap arses! you can't get better than free and direct

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

It undermines the whole idea. Radiohead can give it to you for free if they want to, but for you to give a free copy to someone else is wrong. You could look at it as Radiohead wanting all the traffic through their own site so they can track the number of downloads etc. - that might have some value to them which you are denying by getting the album from a torrent. However, the flip side is you could say you are saving their bandwidth, so I guess you can look at it both ways.

9. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

where?

10. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

The latter is a tad arbitrary...

11. Carbon_Arc

Carbon_Arc What's a Dremel?

I always wonder with these things just how many of the people who torrent it would have actually bought it anyway?

I would expect most decent human beings to, when presented by a 'name your own price' offer for a band they like, to at least give a couple of quid for the music (especially knowing this will go direct to the band not some record label). But then i'd also expect regular torrent users to download it just because it's available, whether they actually like it or not.

So i think it is wrong to equate illegal downloads to lost sales, i think this is being blown out of proportion by people trying to sell DRM systems to record companies.

12. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

over there - look!

13. RTT

RTT #parp

I paid them 5 quid for the album but the rip was only 160kbps, so i plan to get it from a torrent site at a higher bitrate when it's available.

14. b0gie

b0gie What's a Dremel?

Is that the best bitrate available for download? If I was paying for it I would certainly want a better bitrate than that.

15. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

To me it undermines the whole idea of releasing a CD for free by not distributing it to torrent site. I'm not sure what their motives are for doing this, but it seems hypocritical for them to offer free copies of their CD but say only they can give it out. Also, fail to see how this is an illegal download if they're giving it away themselves, I don't think I would label it pirating at all, its really just another path for distribution.

16. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

i figured people would go to the torrents for the higher DL speeds. and if your not going to pay for it, whats it matter if you get it from Radiohead or any other source. i got a copy from a friend cause i wanted to hear it first to know what i would pay for it. I will be paying about $5 for it. I feel thats a fair price for an bit of digital data. and its still more then they would be getting from their label. if it were an actual physical CD i would pay $10

17. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I know people who pirate Firefox. :duh:

18. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

It is really pirating if something is free anyway? Surely it's just another distribution method/source?

19. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Truth is, if it were not for bit-tech, I wouldn't have known you could download it for free on there own site.
    I imagine many other people are in the same boat.

20. Kysi

Kysi What's a Dremel?

i dont find that suprising at at all. you can enter a price of 00.00 and download the album for free... but that involves registering first. its just a bit of a hassle. i would rather hit up BT and get it. that is familiar to me

Tags: Add Tags