1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Free Radiohead album distributed by pirates

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Oct 2007.

1. dtek

dtek What's a Dremel?

Bittorrent is about sharing, but the fact doing so with some content violates some sort of copyright doesn't make it an illegal-exclusive way. Since the problem is not sharing itself but the restricted copyrighted content, stating this is a form of pirating is a contradiction, if u want your albums to be freely available, do it in appropiate and well established ways for it.

2. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

indeed I coudlnt be arsed to register to download the songs. Im not a big fan so I didnt even get it from a torrent site anyway. I still prefer to listen to online streaming radio from sites like www.di.fm But even the RIAA is trying to shut them all down by asking for stupid special internet only radio charges.

3. theprodigalrebel

theprodigalrebel What's a Dremel?

Just because something is on BitTorrent doesn't mean it's pirated. If the content can be had for free - legally - what difference does it make if it's from Radiohead's webserver or BitTorrent seeders? I think the latter are actually helping out Radiohead's server.

4. reaper1984

reaper1984 What's a Dremel?

Okay that's it, I can stand one bit of bad grammar in a thread, but not two flagrantly stupid uses of their and there!

yodasarmpit: It's "their own site" not there, you use there when referring to place. e.g. "Fred is over there."

and UncertainGod, same thing, "their" is used usually used in reference to ownership. e.g. "I'm taking the car over to their place."

Vash-HT: good effort with the "they're"

Sorry for being anal, but if you don't believe grammar is important then check here.
    That, and you'll thank me when you're writing your CV.

5. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

crikey two posts and already correcting spelling and calling people stupid.:eyebrow:

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wherever is faster that is where I would have downloaded it from

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i am in the same boat.....

edit: reaper1984, be nice, this is an international forum and some people are not native English speakers.... and some people are simply in a hurry. ;)

and fathazza please don't start with that postcount thing.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2007
  8. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i'll let you get away with that seeing as youve got more posts than me.:nono:

9. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i think what he said is quite fair tbh

The use of their and there can be a pain in the ass, and its used wrong all too often on forums and stuff
    And lets face it, it makes reading posts hard as well, as you have to re-read it at least twice because it didn't make sense due to the wrong one being used

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

lets not fight, lets be friends :thumb: lets make the world a better place :D

and don't let the grammar nazis get you writing youve instead of you've.....

11. Snowball

Snowball Star Gazer

This is a very clever marketing scheme IMHO. One of my friend's has their site linked to her blog now, and she doesn't even like them.
    She just likes the concept.

12. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

The reason for torrenting it is because the internet download is poor quality. If they'd released it in FLAC or similar, there'd be no need for torrents.

Many people haven't paid for the album because of the low quality download.

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

In case You didnt noticed... This a international forum with people from all over the world. Dont expect that everyone can articulate in perfect english or slang. To expect people to write perfectly is a bit naive, besides its a forum not a bookclub!

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    What a surprise... Not!

Pirates just dont care. Wether they are seafaring pirates, organized pirates or just P2P freeloaders, they... just... dont... care! A prey is a prey!
    Wether its a yacht in the Malacca Strait, a copy of Episode 2 or a you-make-the-price album, they dont care!

Truly a shame that to the mainstream media P2P equals content piracy. :(

Last edited: 19 Oct 2007
  15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

It was completely off topic the same as my now deleted post is, his is no more on topic and should have been deleted too (great modding on this bit by the way) :rolleyes:

There, their and they're, there's three of them :lol:

16. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I went to look for it on their official site, except is was running very slowly and even when it did finally load, trying to find the actual link was a pain in the backside as it's not a very user friendly website. I got it from my normal torrent site because a) it's easy to navigate and b) it downloads faster.

Ofcourse the album is rubbish and not as good as any of their previous stuff.

On the topic of quality when are legal alternatives going to start making uncompressed formats available for general download?

17. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

True, and the native English-speakers should remember that and try to set a decent example so the non-natives aren't confused or pick up bad habits. ;)

But the thread topic is flaws in the "marketing" approach by Radiohead; I know shareware authors have tried releasing their programs as un-crippled 'donationware' and been very disappointed by the income generated. It's just not a practical business model, given human nature. :sigh:

18. Snowball

Snowball Star Gazer

Yeah but artists make most of their money on merchandise and concerts anyway. Even a platnium record only gets them a few hundred thousand dollars. The promotion is better than the sales they'd lose.

19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

20. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Interesting, i guess the real question is, how much more money did radiohead make over going with a record label, i wonder if they got more then £1 anyway

Also, are the people who paid nothing people who wouldn't have bought it/downloaded it anyway?

Tags: Add Tags