1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Can I make a plastic heater with a dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cheapskate, 13 Oct 2007.

1. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Haha I was just going to post a link to my vac table page. lol

Anyway, Cheapskate if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I built mine using two oven heating elements, which I believe are the same thing as a dish washer's. My problem was getting them to heat the plexi sheet evenly. I had to add extra heat sources in the corners AND my heat gun to get a convection action going. Only then did it melt the plexi evenly enough for me to form it.
    As far as power, I wired it myself to a 220v source (which has its own breaker in the sub panel). I added a junction box on the side with two switches so I could control both heating elements separately. :)

mvagusta likes this.
  2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks, Boddaker! I just want a strip heater, but the concept's the same. I -will- bug you wen the time comes!
    I guess all I need now is a dead dishwasher. I'm not exactly anxious to get one, It means buying and installing a replacement somewhere...
    It's just a matter of time.

3. Guerrilla

Guerrilla What's a Dremel?

The only real problem i see you running into is reshaping the coil. Its been a while since i took welding and metallurgy but i recall metal becoming increasingly brittle after being repeatedly heated and quenched. If thats the case you could try and temper it, that is, heat it, and let it cool vveerrry slowly. That might help, unless its coated ceramic, as mentioned earlier. In that case, you got me:worried:

Edit: Now that i think about it, you should be able to shape it even if it is brittle once you get it red-hot, if you go that route.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2007
  4. Cheapskate

I'm thinking they are really high carbon steel, so yeah, friggen brittle. I have only one way to get the element red hot... plug it in.:hehe:

5. Cheapskate

OK... I got a dead dishwasher, so I have some answers I should probably share here.
    The coil is easy to bend. I hammered it out in only a few minutes. It feels like some kind of aluminum alloy, but it had rust on it.:eyebrow: The contacts look like they are welded on, so I have no way of splicing it. After straightening I have a element about 5 feet long.
    Now I need to cut some hardy plank and make a box for it. Expect results in 2009.:hehe:

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

it should work

maybe :|

7. jesterod

jesterod What's a Dremel?

so did you ever try this?

mvagusta likes this.