1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLI or not...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elio, 17 Oct 2007.

1. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

I need your advice on deciding which motherboard to buy for the second pc...thing is i have a 8800GTX 768MB(spare..it was a very nice present..:naughty:), now i've been thinking that later on when prices on this cards will be reasonable i could get me another card and double the performence...but i just dont think that the SLI mobo's are that good...what do you think about these two : P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP \ P5N32-E SLI ? i tend to go with the p5k deluxe...
    thanks in advance.

2. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

been looking at the P5N32-E SLI myself, i don't think the p5k is sli but cross fire, Ive always tried to keep the option open for sli but have never bothered, personally I'm beginning to think its a waste of time and money after all the gtx will play anything and by the time you want to add another there will be better cards around

3. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

If your going to get a SLI board get a 680/690SLI boards cause their made for the 8800GTX in SLI mode the ASUS Striker Extreme (for Intel) seems to be the good board it has the extreme tweeker setting in the BIOS.

4. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

The only motherboards that support SLI use the nVidia chipsets; so currently that means the 680i chipset.

I just got the DFI Lanparty UT NF680i SLI LT T2R/G and it is very nice; from what I've heard on other forums the DFI has the highest clocking potential of all the 680i boards; it also looks good and utilizes all the features of the 680i LT chipset (rather than the crippled reference design) providing all the features of the non-LT chipset.

I also got a pair of BFG 8800GTXs and installed the DangerDen waterblock so I'm also flashing them to the speeds of the BFG 8800GTX OC WCE :D

5. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

thanks all but i think i'll go with no SLI beacause realy by the time i'd want to buy a second card(way off my budget right now)there will be probably somthing way better...i think one card cooled down proprly and OCing it beyond recongnition should be enough for the this next year or so... :)

6. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Good idea. THe Striker is a good board, but way overpriced. If you do decide to go SLI the most popular option tends to be the EVGA 680i.

7. saxman

saxman What's a Dremel?

I would definitely discourage buying the p5n32e sli. i had a bad set of boards or they are flawed. had lots and lots of problems with mine for quite sometime. 2 RMA's later and several problems I just live with it seems to be a pretty good board. I think I just had a bad production run. Good luck.

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

If your a bit price concious, have a look at the 650i boards, all the core features of the 680i but much cheaper. It uses an 8x by 8x for SLI though, but in a recent article it shows that you don't need full 16x slots. It's for crossfire, but SLI will be the same.

9. rswami92

rswami92 What's a Dremel?

well just wanted to add that ive got a abit fatal1ty fp-in9 sli mobo runs absolutely fine for a cheaper alternative in 650i, bit aged now maybe but will do the job thinkin of going sli soon too mate just need some answers for my specs.........
    right ive got a hiper type r 580W power supply...claims to run sli but me..not too sure bout it
    at the moment im on a BFG 8800GTS 320mb OC2 gpu and thinkin of doubling tht on my abit
    ive also got a overclocked C2D 1.86 ghz cpu and a couple of ocz ram if that helps
    anyone know if my power supply will run sli or am i better off going for another? any recommnedations??

10. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

580W should be enough for a pair of 8800 GTS 320s

11. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i know someone who just built a new pc with 2x 8800gts 320mb and a hiper type r 580w psu but had to change to a higher wattage psu as the 580 struggled a bit

12. rswami92

Exactly what i was thinking, a friend told me that it won't run on the 580W power supply, especially the hiper type r. However he did recommend that i consider upgrading to a Corsair HX520 as an alternative that would be able to run on my system. How can a 520W PSU handle it and a 580W can't, bit confused :worried:. Do you think i could go for this for my 2 8800gts or do you reckon i could go for the 620W Corsair alternative? Any other suggestions of PSUs?

13. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

seen some good reviews of the corsair 620w but im not sure what you need for 2x8800gts if it were me i would go with a good quality 700w

14. rswami92

Any suggestions with that?

15. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

16. rswami92

hmmmm might have to read some reviews on that, I'm not really a big fan of OCZ PSUs to be honest. They haven't had the best record really...

17. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

like i said it depends on what you want to spend, the oz was an example of ballance between quality and price, but there must be someone on this site that has 8800gts in sli that could help with recommended wattage

18. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

OCZ power supplies are among the worst, to say the least. They are on the average price, yet when delivering any sort of load, not even full, they can't handle it. You should buy the Corsair power supplies, or Seasonic. He said GTX, not GTS. If he was running a dual 8800GTS setup, he would only need about 450W, so he would have to buy the Corsair HX520 (for a bit of extra space). GTX would require the HX620, which is about 700 w, again for some extra space. But, people with 500W power supplies have ran GTX SLI setups just fine, albeit a bit too close for my liking.

19. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

20. imkeller

imkeller What's a Dremel?

I know rswami's budget is already stretched, what sort of prices are these new ones going to be?