1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Couple of new pics

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by rob_65, 14 Oct 2007.

1. rob_65

rob_65 What's a Dremel?

Hiya guys, I'm really only just getting into photography, so have decided to post some pictures here for some constructive criticism :)
    These were taken with my new 300D.

[​IMG]
    1/250 | F1.8

[​IMG]
    1/125 | F1.8

[​IMG]
    1/60 | F1.8

[​IMG]
    1/100 | F5.0

[​IMG]
    1/100 | F5.0

[​IMG]
    1/80 | F5.6

Any comments much appreciated (here or Flickr :))
    Regards,

Rob

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

all of them look stunning, any chance of larger ones for backdrops?

3. alastor

alastor Minimodder

All very good, you obviously have a good eye for this.

4. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

They are all very very good. I love the one with the clouds.
    Any chance of a 1680x1050 version for my monitor?

5. rob_65

rob_65 What's a Dremel?

Buzzons, alastor and Lovah,

Thanks ever so much for the kind words. You wouldn't believe how taken aback I am by the wallpaper requests! There are larger versions available on my flickr (link in signature), but chances are they're not large enough. If you want an enlarged version of something email me and I'm more than happy to send it on to you.

Lovah - what is your email address? :)

6. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

With the exception of the snail shot, those shots are all really excellent. And I appreciate whey you attempted the snail shot, it just doesn't hold up against the quality of the rest.

The first picture of the rose is just brilliant. Composition, focus, depth of field, colour; everything spot on. You should be very proud of that shot.

#2 I also really like. It's compositionally great, but there's something about it I find a little ugly. I think it's the slightly dirty bokeh of, what I assume is, the 50mm 1.8, which also seems to be apparent in the snail shot. Ignoring that gripe, it's excellent.

The three mono shots are all superb, too, though all have different merits.

Your tyre shot is an interesting subject, well composed, with a smart use of DOF.

The second mono shot, of the sunburst, is an excellent capture of light and is really made by the small slither of light towards the bottom centre of the frame. It helps ground the shot and give it perspective. Without that, I feel the shot would be nothing on what it is. Is the vignetting in this shot intentional / man-made, or due to equipment?

The last is in the style of my favourite type of mono shots. Very dark and very contrasty with just highlights to outline what's there. Wonderful.
    Might I suggest you remove the highlight in the top-left corner, though?

7. 3dHeli

3dHeli What's a Dremel?

I was drawn to the tyre shot for some reason

The sky and forest edge are also nice work.

8. OleJ

OleJ Me!

All very nice work!

I would want to straighten the sky and the woods pics as they both seem tilting ever so slightly.
    The tire is just beautiful and interesting.
    The Snail and the Fly are both very much to my liking and I think you should submit the snail as POTM if you've taken it this month.

Good work.

Thanks for sharing :)

9. rob_65

rob_65 What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone for your critique and comments! They're really helpful and appreciated. I don't know if I've had an account set up on the external site for the POTM, but I have another shot in mind :) I'll post it on here in a second!

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, the f/1.8 50mm does strange things to leaves that are out of focus when it's wide open. Presumably because of the five-straight-blade aperture. I've seen it on some of my own shots, and it looks funky as well. Luckily, it's fairly simple to fix in post since you tend to have nice hard, crisp edges on the subject so you can get a nice layer mask.

Agreed on that sunburst shot too. I'd say it's my favorite of the set. Very nice exposure and composition.

11. rob_65

rob_65 What's a Dremel?

This is what I was thinking of entering for the POTM :)

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? It was horrendously dim light, hence the noise :( best of a bad bunch really! :)

12. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

awesome pictures! The rose is awesome, really pro... but i would prefer if it was to the left a tad, the right of the rose is a tad cut off, it's still excellent tho! The fly is very cool & very well done! The snail pic is kinda boring? Maybe getting in closer would have been better? The tire shot is great, such a nice picture made from ugly tires lol - Excellent work! The clouds are really spectacular i think!!! :jawdrop: I'd crop the base a little, just above that white line, and that pic would sell nicely i think! The forest shot is excellent aswell, but not as good as the clouds i think - cropped that is :)

13. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Nice squirrel shot, I like it. I've been trying to capture one over the last week but the lil buggers are just too quick for the time of day that I have to shoot at.

Tags: