1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RPG fans?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Snowball, 19 Oct 2007.

1. Snowball

Snowball Star Gazer

Anyone around here play RPGs? All of the threads seem to be action type games.
    I've been getting really into playing these games on RPG-Maker's website^^

Most of them aren't super long but they're usually kawaii and have a rather attractive price tag of zero^^

I've also been playing this really old dos game I found called Betrayal at Krondor. Its very interesting. Like an interactive book. The last game I liked this much was when I found Lufia^^

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I used to be huge into RPGs (and often replay the classics). But I feel that I don't really have as much time as I'd like to play them properly and they get so little coverage relative to the FPS games and such that I don't really know what would be worth my time anyways.

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

My favourite classic RPG was Castle of the Winds. It ran great on my 386. The game was declared freeware in 1998.

4. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'm an RPG'er first. All else is secondary. My favorites in no particular order (except Xenogears, which is my favorite) are Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VI and VII, Lunar: SSSC and EBC, any other FF game, Xenosaga, etc...

5. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

I love rpgs but it seems as of late there aren't that many good ones for pc. Mask of the Betrayer is fun but I'm really hoping for The Witcher to be good.

6. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

I love RPG's. At one point a few years ago, played Morrowind about 7 hours a day for about 4 months straight. Right from when I got home from school until when I went to bed. Pissed my brothers off to no end. :D

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I love RPGs, but I'm very selective. It has to be something quite involving and classic - I like the BioWare non-console stuff and have a preference for isometric or first person. Third person poses too many problems that invariably limit game design because of the scope of what you can show before you overwhelm a player.

It's got to be Fallout, Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment for me. You can pick each up for around a fiver or less and each of them will give you easily 100+ hours. BG has the most length, but Fallout is the most replayable because it caters for literally every player type (try doing the game with an INT of 3 or less to see what I mean) and Planescape is the most interesting and philosophical.

Got into it all when I played Bloodwych with my Dad on the old Amiga. I was seven or so and he'd play it late at night and let me stay up and watch as long as I didn't tell my mum and would help him draw maps of the huge dungeons on squared paper. We had two folders full of carefully made maps when he finished. The best quality time I ever had with him - that's why I love RPGs.

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

the witcher is looking great atm and i cant wait until next week (ive had it on pre-order for ages) also with hellgate london out a week after that RPG is looking good for the moment

some of my favourates

BG1+2 + expansions
    all FF games 7 + 8 esspecially
    secret of mana
    seiken densetsu
    chrono trigger
    vampire the masquerade (actually really enjoyed this one despite mixed opinions)
    Zelda
    HeroQuest (sinclair)
    diablo 1+2
    and there is one im missing but cant for the life of me remember which
    (castle of the Winds rocks)

would like to play (but probably never will)
    Icewind Dale
    planescape
    GW (i refuse to play online RPG again after WOW addiction)
    evercrack (see above)
    morrowind

ps. oh and i dont consider oblivion an rpg more of an FPS with swords and magic really didnt enjoy that game

Last edited: 19 Oct 2007
  9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I too love RPG's, there doesn't feel like there's much selection these days. It almost feels like RPG's are going the way of the flight-sim, slowly and surely.

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I like starting them, getting bored about halfway through and never finishing them.

11. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I love RPG's. They are the only genre I can play regardless of console generation. My favotires are the Tales series (Tales of Destiny especially) and the Star Ocean. Both of those game had innovative battle systems (Tales of Destiny allowed 2 players during the battle sequences when you found the tech ring) that companies seem to have trouble emulating even now, and those games are Playstation Era. I found it funny when people flipped out because Square finally moved Final Fantasy away from the Turn based, when Tales of Destiny had done it 10yrs prior.

Xenogears ranks among my favorites too. It's ony game I continously work my way towards the end in, and then stop because I don't want to beat it.

Anyone else Like the Grandia series? I loved the first one, the rest of the games in the Grandia franchise don't even come close to the original one. I played the PSOne port, never had the chance to play the Saturn version.

And one last one..not really an RPG but it had alot of RPG elements. Dragonforce for Saturn. Nuff said :rock:

12. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

RPG's are great. If memory servers, I think the first game to get me into the genre was Captive on the Amiga never managed to complete it despite coming close a number of times (I think). Use to love the likes of Balders Gate, Planescape etc but find myself more into Diablo II, Oblivion, Guildwars type games. Just getting ready to hit all the expansions for Guildwars with a few friends. That should last me till retirement.:D

13. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I love RPG's. My favorites/recommendations are.

Disgaea + Disgaea 2
    Atelirer Iris 1,2 and 3
    Makia Kindom
    La Pucelle Tactics
    Phantom Brave
    (can you spot the nippon ichi theme)
    Wild Arms 2
    Tales Of Fantasia
    Star Oceon (all of)
    And of course FFVII

14. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I dig out NetHack from time to time. :p

15. Neogumbercules

How could I forget about Secret of Mana! One of my all-time faves. I'm currently playing through Seiken Densetsu 3 on my emulator.

16. righteous_slave

righteous_slave I know what a bloody Dremel is

Add my name to the list. I dig RPGs, but time constraints make it difficult to get into them. Mostly old school stuff, namely the Phantasy Star series. Any one who would like to mention some other sci-fi RPGs here that they like, feel free. Don't hold back on my account. :)

17. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Rogue Galaxy is pretty darn fun. Been hooked on that lately. The syntesis system from Dark Cloud makes it all the more fun to play.

18. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I can't believe none of you guys have mentioned the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest series. I've been a fan since number one on the NES. I can proudly say I have beaten all 8 in the series :)

Oh yeah, FF 7 and 9 kick ass :) I love those two over any other FF game. 7 is amazing and with 9, I love the art style and the story, plus it's funny as well :) (PLus who seriously does not have a soft spot fir Vivi?)

19. Neogumbercules

I like IX a lot, as well. Apparently it's also Sakaguchi's favorite.

20. Neo40k

Neo40k What's a Dremel?

Eldar Scrolls 3 and 4

Does World of Warcraft count?? I think it should It is like digital DnD