1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Battlestar Galactica Mod: Complete!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Mar 2007.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

This is shaping up really nice. Good to see its got the well deserved 5 star rating now as well :D

2. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Thanks Tyinsar. Yeah, the screens are there for show only, and will be playing a video loop of BSG type graphics (radar sweeps, data readout, telemetry, etc). No real use at all, other than coolness factor.

Wow, thanks zr! :D I'm honored that you think of my work as comparable to Paul's. He's been a major inspiration to me, especially for this mod.

The LCD pockets were made with .040 sheet styrene.

Thanks jokkos and will for the 5-star props! :D I am getting excited about the front panel, and I can't wait to do some more work on it. Unfortunately, I am swamped until Thursday so I won't be able to work on it until then.

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

f@$#ing awesome & really cool, as usuall :thumb:

The screens are just as usefull as the pods - both are very important, not to mention the landing bay, which is extremely important & usefull. (the paint is usefull & important aswell btw) :duh:

4. Frido

Frido Minimodder

More coolness ?? *faint* Bod, are you going to make it fly for real!? I almost expect you're gonna do that when taking your other achievements in order ;)

Wow wow and wow! Reminds me a bit of that old Doom III case I saw somewhere, this one just is far cooler IMO - with these three screens - nice-y! Really good ideas, superb planned through and perfectly executed!

Are you going to make running LED lights for the landing strip? Hee hee :rock:

/Frido

5. Boddaker

lol How'd ya guess? :naughty:

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

those lcds are just too cool! killer fab work Boddaker :dremel:

7. ulysses Cazuquel

ulysses Cazuquel Sex, Casemod & Rock'N Roll!!!

8. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

Woah, this is some pretty amazing work you are doing on this case!

A little while ago I did a paint job on a model boat using pretty much the same method as you did with the pods and boy does it take a long to patients to do it!

I will be looking forward to seeing how this one looks once finished.

9. Boddaker

Thanks guys. :)

I actually got some work done on the case last night. After a stressful couple of days, modding can be quite theraputic! :wallbash:

I started on the framework for yet another LCD screen. This one is a 17" Samsung, and will be mounted opposite
    the motherboard tray. The main purpose of this screen will be to play Galactica episodes. I plan to have them
    all archived on the hard drives once season 4 is done and released on DVD. :)

First I had to remove part of the hard drive rack.
    [​IMG]

Then I made a bottom support piece out of angle aluminum.
    [​IMG]

I made a wooden template the exact size of the LCD screen to aid in the placement.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the side panel in place over the wooden screen.
    [​IMG]

Next I need to make the vertical supports that will connect the top and bottom. These are the pieces the
    screen will be secured to. After all is said and done, I should have about a 1/4" clearance between the screen
    and mobo tray. I plan on relocating the LCD's circuit boards, which would normally reside behind the screen.

8)

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

great work :thumb:

11. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

more lcd goodness :jawdrop:

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Nice idea bod, I especially like the "once they are all released on DVD" yes, you sly fox ;) did you know Battlestar Razor, the tv mini movie linking the 3rd and 4th seaons is airing next week?

13. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

splendid work as always.

14. widmod

widmod Minimodder

nice idea more screens goodness :jawdrop:
    waiting for minatur viper to take of from the landing bay in your case :naughty:

15. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Holy cow! I wonder what Bod would've done if the TFTs hadn't been invented! CRT-hell everywhere I guess? LOL!!!
    I had thought of putting a TFT sameplace on the case and beneath the case, a drawer with room for keyboard and mouse. Voila - a LAN computer with everything ready! (Window on the hardware-side for the people, and the screen for myself)

But now I look forward to see Calactica up and running!!! Go for it Bod!

/Frido

16. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

have been watching this topic for a for a while some very very nice work

17. Boddaker

Thanks guys. :)

Really? Razor is airing for you this week? The web site shows the air date as November 24th. Don't give anything away! Was watching the previews, and it looks good! Especially when Adama and the old Cylon fight in mid air as they fall.

18. Boddaker

So I found a screen shot of the video display cluster on the Galactica's bridge:
    [​IMG]

That got me itchin to see what these little screens can do. So I hooked up my eVGA Geforce 6200 pci card to make
    sure i could get a signal out to the lcd's. Here's a test shot:
    [​IMG]

I will be making up a fully animated graphic sequence that will mimick the actual effects on the show.
    Should come out looking pretty accurate. :)

19. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I wonder if the person who told me meant next month (as in November) then, hmmm

20. DragonONE

DragonONE What's a Dremel?

Boddaker I must say, that your mod here.. how shall I put it.. It's by far, THE most "true to it's origins".. I cannot recall any theme inspired mod in such a detailed level as yours..

The use of the little lcd's just did the last bit for me.. gotta rate you to a fiver :)

Tags: