1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Case Window

Discussion in 'Modding' started by cire9753, 28 Oct 2007.

1. cire9753

cire9753 What's a Dremel?

I've been wanting to add a window to my case for a while now. I have seen some kits online that arent that expensive and i was wondering if one of those is worth it to get or if it would be better to buy the pieces myself. If i got the window, molding ect myself how much would it cost and where would i get the materials at?
    Thanks

2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

If it's cheap enough for you... you could just buy the pre-cut windowed side panel.
    But it's easy enough/cheaper to do it yourself... if you have:

a. The materials (a sheet of plexi-glass, and something to hold the panel in place - i.e. 'No Nails'/double-sided sticky tape/screws/bolts).
    b. The right tools for the job. Basically all you need, is something to cut the plexi to size (i.e. a jigsaw (best), or a dremel), and a decent file - or even just sandpaper, to smooth the edges after you've cut the panel.

As for where to get the materials/cost? That depends where you're from - i.e. UK/USA etc?
    I don't know the names of similar stores abroad, but if you're in the UK... you can get plexiglass from most of the bigger DIY stores - i.e. Homebase, B&Q etc, and it's cheap (actual price depends on the size of sheet you want/need/buy) ;)

3. cire9753

i think i will build it myself, i have a dremel and a jigsaw.
    im located in the US and im thinking of going to home depot or lowes.
    thanks for the help :thumb:

4. cire9753

Just for people searching to know:
    At Ace Hardware in the US a 18"x24" piece of plexiglass is $9.50, and they will cut it for $1.50 more
    also i found some trim for the sides or "c-strip" at kragen autoparts for $6.99 and it was 2 27" lengths.
    hope this helps :D