1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware G92: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Nov 2007.

1. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

I'll be rebuilding my computer in January so the market could have changed a lot by then (depending mainly on the 3800), but at the moment this would be the card I would use.

2. jase4772

jase4772 What's a Dremel?

Bit of a git after not long having bought my 320mb GTS thinking it was the best mid range card, and thats after not being an early adopter. Wonder how many other people will feel hacked off by this cards release?

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

bah tempting, so hard to decide between this and the gtx, i think what ill do is get this and upgrade again in a year or so

4. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

Excellent job w/ the Crysis demo. Repeatable results and clear labeling of your settings make Jod a very happy gamer. I thought you'd like to know I'm using one of your images on [H]. I'm hosting it and giving credit as well as a positive comment, but just let me know and I'll pull it down.

Thanks!

Hardforum thread

5. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

Aargh, no edit? It def looks like Crysis eats video ram for breakfast. We're going to need 160 shaders and 1GB to play this @ hi res, hi aa, high detail...

Did you guys do any clocking of this card?

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

no comparisons to lower end cards like the x1950pro? would be more use as this cards target is people trying to save some money

7. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Best review of this card on the internet, period.

8. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Iv just placed an order the a EVGA 8800GT superclocked for about £188 - this is the same type of card right? as im going by this review :S i know there are so many types of cards, i get confused :S heres the link:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=692661
    That is part of this GT range right? or have i ordered the wrong card :S

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

that is beautiful....... single slot.... powerful.... cheap'ish...... did not find the power consumption, how is it?

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yes, it's the same kind of card. This review is a reference nVidia 8800GT, so the only difference between that and the one you've bought is: 1) Sticker with eVGA, 2) Higher clocks (superclock = 650C 1900M as opposed to 600C 1800M).

11. M2k3

M2k3 Wired to the Core

The 8800GT looks like an excellent deal but I would've liked to see some benchmarks comparing PCI-e 1.1 and 2.0 with this card.

12. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

thx for the responce mate :)
    Scan say they will have it in stock any day now so iv placed my order...free delivary so its win win and scan have flawless service so very excited :D Just imagine...Gears of War....Call of Duty 4.....Crysis!!! omg iv just soiled myself :S

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hehehe, it's very exciting isn't it? I can't wait for my student loan to come in now and let me have an upgrade! :D

14. Major

Major Guest

Looks like a good card, I might cancel my GTX, buy a EVGA 8800GT, and then when the GTX prices come down I'll do a Step Up program. :)

Edit: Could a mod change my name to Major instead of MajorGN? Cheers.

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The Geforce 9800 will be release by then. :)

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

Unfortunately, as we lost about 24-48 hours of work with the steam update, there was no chance of including X1950 Pro performance, as the only titles that I could compare in (without adding twice the workload) were HL2:EP2, TF2 and ETQW. Given the schedule for this launch was already tight and I still missed it by four days, you might have expected the article by the end of next week. The primary purpose of the 8800 GT is to kick ass in DX10 titles at a good price point, and second comes DX9 performance.

That said, if there is enough demand I am thinking of an WinXP performance update covering the new GPUs from AMD/Nvidia once they're both out, as that will give you some idea of how they perform compared to previous gen cards.

Hey dude, that's no problem. :thumb:

I agree, we need something faster to play Crysis, although I've been reasonably content with 1680x1050 / very high / 0xAA 0xAF on a GTX @ 650/1550/2000. I'd like to enable AA/AF, but even without that, the game still looks simply stunning!

This kind of comment really makes it worthwhile going through the emotions and frustrations of getting something like this done - thanks!

Lack of time prevented it - sorry! Nvidia quotes TDPmax at 105W, so you can expect this to be about 60-70 percent more frugal on the old power consumption compared to an 8800 GTX.

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

do want!

18. Major

Major Guest

Guys, I thought AA was introduced for lower resolutions anyway, surely with a 22" Monitor you do not need AA.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

This is another article in itself, but again we're open to suggestions on what you guys want to see. I don't think there will be much difference, but we can certainly have a look. :)

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

Some are still very sensitive to aliasing, and I find that if there's power to turn AA on on a 30" display, I still like to be able to do it. ;)

I've sorted your name change request btw. :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags