1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Q6600 Overclocking question(regarding article too)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dognosh, 2 Nov 2007.

1. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

I read the article here about overclocking but am confused as I have other options to increase my FSB(I think)
    In the article the FSB was raised from around 1066 to 1451.
    is there one option to do this on those motherboards ? as on mine it seems like I must tweak 2 options.
    On my ASUS P5N32-E SLI MB I have option of increasing the multiplier in the BIOS, and in windows I can increase the CPU External frequency.
    I don't have an FSB option to increase ?

so currently(stock) I have :
    1.CPU external frequency of around 267M
    2. Multiplier is set to 9 in BIOS
    3. FSB of around 1068M (sounds like 4 times 1st figure)
    4.per core I get 2.4G (sounds like 9X the 1st figure)

so
    1. Is FSB 4X the CPU external freq ?
    2. to over clock my Q6600 should I increase CPU external freq? or multiplier? or both? (to get to 3.2G figure)
    also after reading article I know to increase the voltages;)

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The external frequency = FSB = 266.66666MHz... i.e. 267MHz, which is then quad-multiplied (similar to the DDR multiplication of x2 etc) and again by the multiplier to get your final clock frequency. :thumb:

3. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

To get my q6600 to 3.2 I had to put the multiplier at 8 and the fsb (CPU external frequency) at 400. Yes you will have to up the voltage for the cpu, you may also want to consider raising the northbridge and south bridge voltage as well. only try that if you cant get the cpu stable at 3.2 and you know that you are giving it enough voltage.
    when you raise the fsb you will also be overclocking your ram at the same time. As such you may need to lower the ratio on your ram depending on what its at right now.
    Two questions,
    first, what do you have for a cpu cooler?
    second, what ram do you have? as it may be a limiting factor to your overclocking.

4. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

OCZ reaper(800Mhz)
    ASUS Arctic Square

I have put the ext. freq. to 300 at 9X multiplier with the CPU Voltage at around 1.46, currently it seems fine

1.why 8X and not 9X ?
    2.do I run RAM unlinked ?(I presume this gives me more control over RAM settings?)
    3.re NB and SB , what would nominal values be ? mine say AUTO so I can't see what they are running at:(
    4. how do I lower RAM ratio ?

yours,
    fast learner and willing to take risks:D

5. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The idea behind dropping the multiplier is to allow higher FSB's, sometimes giving a better overclock, sometimes not.

It used to be a big trick for overclocking something like an Athlon XP where the memory bandwidth was really limited.

7. chrisb2e9

I cant remember the reason but mine would not run at 355 x 9 so I had to run 400 x 8 instead. that was to get a 3200 overclock, which i decided was a bit much for just air cooling so i scaled it back to 3.0ghz. Like Krikit said, you may get better performance with a higher fsb and a lower multiplier but I dont think that is usually the case. for example, running around 333 x 9 I get about the same performance as at 400 x 8.
    With a fsb of 300 i dont think you should have to up the voltage of the n&s bridge's. but if you try for higher speeds and its not running stable just try going up one notch from the lowest value. that was all that was required for me.
    I'm not sure with your board as I have never seen the bios but running unlinked ram should allow you to set the ram ratio. and with that ram, you shouldn't have to worry about it being a stopping point for overclocking the system, I was just concerned that you may of had some slower ram.
    oh, and if the ram voltage is set to auto, it may be a good idea to set it to the value that its supposed to run at. otherwise, if it is on auto the system may raise the voltage too high and fry the ram. actually everything should be set manually and not on auto if overclocking.
    there is another one... the pci bus? or the pci-e... cant remember, anyway, I think the auto setting is 100 and you should either set it to 100 or 101. otherwise the system will keep raising it on its own when you raise the fsb.

One thing that I did when learning to overclock my board was find threads from other users with the same board/cpu config. and just looked at how they started and tried to get the same results.

oh and one other thing to look out for, some programs will not give you correct results for the temps of your cpu.
    there is a program called... TAT i think. which gives accurate temps. I was using the asus program until i found out that it was reading 15 degrees too low.

(its late, im tired, if someone see's a mistake that i may have made, please correct me)

8. n0ferz

n0ferz What's a Dremel?

I have the same mobo and cpu as you and I also would like to know some tricks about tweaking these goodies :D, nice setup btw :thumb:

9. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

n0ferz;)

chris, thanks for the reply:cooldude:
    I ran at 9X by 300 and all was ok, also did 9X by 315 and again all was ok but I raised NB to 1.55 V and CPU to 1.4625
    at 9X by 330 windows froze:eeek::D

reading our article and others they talk about raising this and that voltage, but each motherboard seems to have it's own name for the voltages:sigh:

here are mine and if you know what they are and which ones to raise I would be mighty grateful
    V core - I assume this is CPU core voltage ?
    mem
    1.2v HT
    NB core - northbridge?
    SB core - southbridge?
    CPU VTT
    DDRII controller ref
    DDRII channel A ref
    DDRII channel B ref
    last 3 are obviously ram

so basically, which ones (other than CPU and NB) should I play with?
    and what are initial values for these ? as annoyingly in BIOS they are showing AUTO and not what their current voltage is:confused:

10. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

ok found some more articles/threads on the net, will look them up and experiment and report my results:brrr:

11. chrisb2e9

try the 9 x 315 or even the 9 x 300 and load the system with something like prime95 and check the temps that you get. If they are really high, lower the cpu voltage a little bit a it seams like its higher than it needs to be. It may be that the 9 x 330 did not work beause the temps were too high. raising the fsb will raise the temps, but voltage makes it soar.
    Thats just something to try off the top of my head, i'll take a look around and see if i can find anything on the net.

edit:
    I have to goto work, but I found this:
    http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/167489-asus-p5n32-e-overclocking-guide.html
    I haven't really had time to look at it but there seams to be a lot of info there. good luck.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2007
  12. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

thanks, I found that too:hip:

13. chrisb2e9

i didn't see that there were over 300 pages in that thread. i started at the back and read until my eyes started to hurt. some key points that i picked up on, the n bridge can get hot, so i wouldn't give it more voltage than what you are doing unless you put on active cooling.
    Lots of bios options, seams like some of them were reputed to kill boards. not sure what version you are running, so read up before you decide to upgrade. on that subject, dont update the bios through windows.

I also noticed that you have two 8800 ultra's so even if you cant get an amazing overclock i wouldn't worry about it too much.

14. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

yes i read the cautionary tales , especially increasing mem voltage to 4V:wallbash: silly to allow mem to go this high:duh:
    currently just running benchmark on her at just over 3 gig ,will post results and settings in 5:hip:

15. chrisb2e9

4 volts on the memory? will the board go that high? My warrenty stops at 2.3 volts for my memory.
    Good luck with the tests.

16. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

well it did in the past apparently, don't know about now with latest BIOS update ?

ok, here's what happened, I pushed too far and had to do CMOS clearing:D
    now this is not an easy thing for me as I have to remove side panel off case, unhinge the case's quad fan door, unscrew the 2 screws holding my 2nd Gcard in, remove SLI bridge, remove Gcard, then I can get to CMOS reset pins, what a palava eh ?:sigh:
    This is an SLI Mboard designed for OVERCLOCKERS and they stick the CMOS reset under the 2nd Gcard ?:duh:

3Dmark06 (just to see how overclocking affects my PC) scored are below:
    stock : 13,300
    9 X 300 : 14,400
    9 X 315 : 14,933
    at 9 X 340 it froze so something regarding the voltages was not right:sigh:
    the voltages I was using :
    Vcore = 1.4625
    mem = 2.15
    1.2 HT = 1.3
    NB = 1.4
    SB - 1.5
    CPU VTT = 1.55
    Hpet support = disabled

I also tested with memory LINKED
    MB temp was less than 40C and CPU cores were all below 42C

see how you do and let me know :hip:
    I am currently back to stock seeing as 3D MARK 06 never used more than 40% of my CPU during it's stress test.;)

17. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

I just went in and set 400x8 at 1.385v (CPU-Z shows 1.36) = 3.2Ghz. RAM to 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 1:1 Ratio

temps are around 38-44 Idle and 54-60 Load with a Scythe Infinity. temps should lower 2-5C when my Arctic Silver breaks in

cba playing around so just whacked them settings in in a few secs and haven't looked back since

18. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

what did you do with your other voltages ?

19. fluxity

fluxity What's a Dremel?

Left 'em on Auto lol

It's running stable and ok temps so meh

20. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

meh to you too:D

Tags: