1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldskool Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Major, 4 Nov 2007.

1. Major

Major Guest

Well, I thought I'd make this thread as I've just been given this by my Dad basically, who has found this in his Office. Would be cool if people would post up what they have kept over the years.

We used to own a PC shop, so we have quite a bit of old stuff here and there.

Don't know anything about this except it's made by AMD, and the name of it is Am486 DX4-100 - Wonder how it would run today... :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

:thumb:

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It is AMD's version of an Intel 486 DX4-100 CPU.

The nomenclature is a bit confusing. Intel made the 486 DX-33: 33 Mhz clock speed, 33 Mhz bus speed. Then they begat a CPU with a clock speed double that of the bus, the 486 DX2-66. Then Intel tippled the clock speed, but rather than calling it the DX3-99, they decided in the interest of marketing hype to call it the DX4-100 (it is not a quadrupled 25 Mhz clock speed CPU as some people think, although the clock tripled 25 Mhz DX4-75 exists also).

AMD, meanwhile, made their own versions of the CPU which happily dropped in the same socket as the Intel ones. They were cheaper but had half the cache. However they would happily work in pre-DX4 motherboards while Intel CPU's required a slight modification to the socket.

Last edited: 4 Nov 2007
  3. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I have a mobile Intel 486 DX4-100 on my desk at the moment. Also have a K6-2 300Mhz and a Pentium w/MMX. In the way of other video cards, I have a Riva TNT2 and a Rage 128 Pro.

4. Major

Major Guest

5. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Nexxo, I have been wondering about that for quite some time now. We had similar chips on display in the computer tech lab at school. And I always wondered AMD=Intel many years ago? Thank you for clearing that up.
    I've got an old Mac LC 630. It sat idle in my parents basement for years(eclipsed by an iMac, PowerPC, and later a Dell) Turns out the monitor died. My comp class teacher(same one with the AMD 486) had an extra Mac display, I found an ethernet card in the LC PDS format, bought that off of eBay, I found all the old MacWorld magazines with the extra CDs, reinstalled OS 7.5, patched it 7.5.5 so I could get MacTCP, i installed a 32mb SIMM so I had 36 mb of ram total,(enough to load AOL 4.0 and open the google homepage!) It was the most fun I could say I've had with a computer.
    The system specs
    33 mhz motorola processor(also used in some cisco routers)
    4MB onboard, 4mb simm
    1 mb of VRAM
    350MB hard drive
    cd rom drive(MFG July 1994:rock:)
    and a floppy drive.
    [​IMG]
    overall shot(setup for this post)
    [​IMG]
    loading AOL 4.0

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I challenge someone to find a older ATi product that they actually OWN.

[​IMG]

Circa 1989.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I own an Amiga 2000.

8. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

No idea what age, but i own a Commodore/Amiga a-500 Plus!

That may make me the biggest loser imaginable, but I don't care.... much...

Joe

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I have a Cyrix based computer here somewhere.... I feel dirty... :worried:

To make up for that i also have a Commodore C64 :D

10. Major

Major Guest

Who doesn't have a Commodore 64 locked up somewhere? :D

11. pjotero

pjotero belgian

I have a sinclair ( a keyboard-computer, probably 1984 and it schould still work) laying about. And we used to have a PS1 ( from IBM).

12. Major

Major Guest

Here is some old RAM, although I don't think they are "that" old.

4MB Per Stick. (Says on the sticker on the back)

[​IMG]

13. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I have an Epson El-Plus (ie, a 386 PC) with a Cyrix FasMath Co-processor (that's the oldest hardware I have around here).
    But I can't get an HDD drive (IBM 80 Mb, I think) working with it (I wanted to install FreeDOS). I even tried one of those ISA IDE controllers (and the HDD I'm using is working perfectly). :waah:

14. Major

Major Guest

15. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i found two NES systems in my landlords trash this afternoon. does that count?

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I have an AMD 386 clone sitting on my entertainment center, as well as lots of gigs of EDO and such...

LOTS of vintage stuff... case of PII Xeons, etc...

17. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Actually, mine looks more like this.

18. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

FOUND!, I went out and bought a DX2-66 back in the day!

After that it was the K5 Route P100 and a whole 32mb ram, boom!

Infact I remember dipping my toes into linux with the DX System and EVEN getting win98 beta to run, long nights of FUN!, not like today when you can save your backside by a few clicks, no manuals or intertubes to save you just knowledge.

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

How old is a Vic 20? does anyone else remember the Vic 20?
    Our power supply melted on ours when i was.... maybe 8 years old. few years later dad comes home (he was an electronic tech for Kodak) with a circuit board with a bunch of stuff (typical power supply components) that we can use to power the Vic 20 again.

And seeing how the psu had no case around it (he ripped it out of a dead photo processing thing), that was how I learned not to pick up a circuit board that is plugged into a wall.
    Later on in life I learned that when checking the voltage on an electrical outlet to see if its dead or not, make sure that the multimeter is set to voltage, and not current.
    Tune in next time for more of my amusing antics....:duh:

20. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!