1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oldskool Hardware Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Major, 4 Nov 2007.

1. M2k3

M2k3 Wired to the Core

I have the same card.
    [​IMG]

I also have a hard drive from 1987, fully working too. I currently have it in one of my secondary computers. On HDtach it gets less than around 2 MB/s but I'll double check that a bit later. Anyway here it is, it's the chunker looking think in the picture:
    On the right of it is what a normal sized hard drive looks like compared to it.
    [​IMG]

2. Ziggy_man

Ziggy_man What's a Dremel?

this is my old one. I used to have a working 66mhz computer (It was fun to smash :lol:)
    [​IMG]

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You kids these days.

I still have one of these still working and in it's official box at home.

I also have an Amstrad with it's printer. I was given it by my late Grandad, I haven't had a chance to open it yet, but I do remember playing pacman in green and black on it.

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i gave my lil sis a cytrix 266, 32mb ram, 2mb vram (from memory) for lil kiddy games that wont run on xp

5. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Got a Commodore C16, Amiga 500, Original Atari and a 383 Laptop aka "the monster nobody can carry with a screen"
    Still loking to get my hands on a NES as i sold mine ages agot to get a SNES :)

6. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I don't know if these can be considered old school, but here goes:

I also have a Cyrix 6x86MX PR200 that used to be on this PC-Chips M598MR Baby-AT motherboard:
    [​IMG]
    I upgraded this system recently with a AMD K6-2+ 500 Mhz and a Coolermaster Socket 7 CPU cooler. :D

I also have a Sega Saturn with IR controlers (Sega official), an Action Replay Plus 4in1 card and the Commlink ISA card.

7. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Got an old original Master System at home. Got it for free about 8 years ago. :)

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah... I have one of those somewhere... :D

That's only because they are the most indestructible computer ever made. They are practically bomb-proof. :p

9. kalm

kalm What's a Dremel?

I've got a 1979 Tandy TRS-80 up in the loft, along with a zx81, amstrad PC1640 (twin 5.25" drives) and a 386 laptop and i think I still have some bits from a compaq 386.

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That's fixed according to my Mum...

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I still have my old Oric Atmos (and its manual), was around at the time of the Spectrum but never caught on. :(

[​IMG]

And my old 286 board, note the bank of DIL sockets for adding memory (as an alternative to the 4 SIM sockets) and the empty socket near the CPU for a 80287 maths co-processor. The CPU is AMD (16MHz!) but ©Intel 1982; they were made under licence by AMD and Harris. Loose chip is an AMD486-DX4-100, now AMD's own Intel-compatible (almost) design.

[​IMG]

12. Major

Major Guest

Well, just found out there is ancient hardware stored in our old shop (now owned by a friend)

Will pop down to see what's there.

13. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I bought myself a A1200 today, I've been walking past the thing in the shop window for the past few days and today I just walked in bought it, then realized what I had done.

I am so happy but I need to get another joystick so I can kick some arse at Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe :D

14. Nexxo

Amiga Forever! :rock: Say what you want, but it was a revolutionary machine.

15. Major

Major Guest

Remember playing on my C64, Soccer Kid, Prince of Persia, Blues Brothers, Frogger, and the game where you go around the tower as a frog or something, classics!

16. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

I'm actually looking for a game I had on the A1200 years ago, I have no idea of the name but it was the first time I had played a true 3d game at home. You were a spy type guy and there was this free-roaming environment with cars, houses & tanks, etc dotted around the arena and it was just this world you could prat about in, does anyone have any idea what that was?

17. Nexxo

That was "Tower Toppler". There are freeware versions for Linux and OSX and even the PocketPC.

Sounds like Mercenary or Damocles. Again, there are some PC ports about.

18. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

This is a Sinclair ZX Spectrum clone that I still own, and which still works. :)
    It was made in Brazil and it was very popular over here.
    I got it for my birthday, I don't remember which one, I was very young, and the first game that I played there was Commando, which of course took 5 minutes to load. :D

[​IMG]

19. Nexxo

Good clone: a Speccy with a proper keyboard! If we had had those over here they would have sold like hotcakes...

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I remember playing Donkey Kong. (if it was called that... the predecessor to Mario.)

Oh! And Lady tut. Not that well known, but it was a pretty nice game IMO.