1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After tv-links, what next?

Discussion in 'General' started by DarkReaper, 7 Nov 2007.

1. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

A friend of mine got so enthused with righteous anger after those copyright-destroying bar stewards at tv-links were crushed that he sent out himself to hunt down more perpetrators of this heinous crime and report them himself:

To: contact@fact-uk.org.uk
    Subject: Website Linking
    I read recently about your closure of tv-links.co.uk as it linked to sites which infringed copyright. Does this mean that all websites are responsible for the content of any sites which they link to? If so, I have found another website which contains lots of links, many of which link to pages which infringe copyright. It can be found at http://www.google.co.uk and is owned by the same people who own a site called YouTube, which hosts some of this material. May I wish you good luck in closing down these sites and the rest of the internet.

Yours faithfully,
    Luke ....

:lol:

2. dom_

dom_ --->

Yes but they hosted copyrighted material....

(i think)

3. Carnival

Carnival Dremel a WHAT?!

No, TV-links did exactly what it said on the tin: linked. All the content was hosted elsewhere, be it YouTube, Veoh, Altertube etc. Basically TV-links got shut down for showing people where to get the videos... which Google and every other search engine does as well.

FACT fail.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

However they did write javascript to bypass security measures put in place on sites such as dailymotion and youtube.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

But is that the laws they were shut down under? I thought they were shutdown under copyright laws, I don't think the UK copyright law covers circumvention.

6. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Damm I used that site frequently!
    Anyways I think the problem was the type of the links, they used deeplinks instead of hotlinks which are a little bit safer because they are more in a legal greyzone, plus
    I guess since they implemente details to every movie etc. on their site that makes it all look organised and deliberately since they show
    that they know about the illegal content on the linked page, so that no response for linked site disclaimer is kinda usless.
    Just my 2 cents...