1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethernet Splitter

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Schniz2, 30 Oct 2007.

1. Schniz2

Schniz2 What's a Dremel?

I was stupid enough to purchase a 1-port router :eyebrow: which defeats the purpose of the router title really. I was wondering if there was a double adapter type thing that i could use to split the internet connection between two computers or do i have to go and buy a switch?

Thanks.

2. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

You are going to have to buy a switch, although I would assume you would want at least one router on the small network, meaning you would want to plug the router into one of the ports on the switch.

So you'd keep your router, buy a switch ($20 for a 5 port Megabit switch, or about $40 for a gigabit switch), and plug the router and all of your computers into the switch.

(But wait for someone to agree with me before buying new hardware.)

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Agreed with OneSeventeen. Ethernet cannot be just split because it sends packets of data.

4. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Aye. cheapo switch and your done :)

5. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

You can devices that splits a single UTP cable into 2 connections but that would be no good for you as in essence you'd want both connections going intio the router. Buying a switch would be the easiest solution to be honest in this case and would give you more flexibility in the future should you wish to add another device.

6. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Agreed with OneSeventeen :thumb:

7. JuryLayth

JuryLayth What's a Dremel?

there is another option, which is harder to setup, and pretty useless these days, and that to create a daisy chain, by networking the computer together using 2 network cards in the computer, one linking to the router, and the other going to another computer.

getting a switch is the easiest & best option.

8. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

actually... almost all routers are single port in, single port out.. it is just that 99% of routers on the market are sold with hubs or switches connected to that single out port already and then boxed up into a nice little package with a single power connection. Get a Hub or Switch, preferable a switch and attach its uplink to the out port of the router. the router does all the DHCP and port block/forwarding stuff.

That said where did you get a single port router?? ebay maybe? post up a brand-model could be some great peace of enterprise level work.

9. Schniz2

Schniz2 What's a Dremel?

thanks everyone.

its a D-Link DSL-502T.... just got it from an electrical store (Dick Smith's)

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

That name reminds me of my DSL 300T MODEM... It also 'routes', but only to a single IP. I had to place a router behind it...

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I remember when they were sold by Maplin and we kept having to tell people they needed a proper router. Never worked well though...

12. Schniz2

Schniz2 What's a Dremel?

Actually, I've had a fair few problems with my net connection lately... but i contacted the Dlink support and they helped me fix it up... not a good product though.