1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Bit-Tech IRC - Such a warm fuzzy feeling.

Discussion in 'General' started by mookboy, 13 Nov 2007.

1. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Gave IRC a go for the first time in years this weekend. And what a lovely time was had. Occassionally quiet in the Bit-Tech channel, but plenty of amusement and comedy to be had.

Then I wandered in tonight.

I like to think the best of the world, and specifically the souls on the t'internet. I can be argumentative with the best of 'em, but I seldom if ever stoop to plain unpleasant abuse or insulting behavior. I'm not perfect. Sometimes things I type reads completely differently to how I intended it. We all do it. But for some reason this evening, I got an absolute barracking from a couple of Bit-tech'ers for absolutely no apparent reason when I logged into the Bit-tech IRC channel. I shan't name them here. However when I asked for an explanation for the abuse coming more venomously from one, junior member of the forum (not even some random stranger), I was alternately provided with stoney silence or more random abuse along the lines of "I can't be bothered to tell you". I was honestly quite puzzled how my opening comment in the room, of "David Bowie is God", could generate such bizarre behavior. We're not talking sarcasm, caustic wit, or intelligent word play here - straight forward "f*** off", "X f***ed your mother", and "you're an ass" were the order of the day. I responded as humourous as my bafflement would allow, laughing most of it off yet at the same time being unable to understand what I was being rewarded for.

I understand the Thin White Duke's music isn't to everyones taste, but ha'way lads! I wouldn't care but the level of intelligence on display was mildly below the sort of thing you get from the kiddies on Counterstrike or Halo games online, and the fact i never got even a word of justification was just incredibly immature and sad.

Well, rant over. Actually less of a rant, and more a display of disappointment that certain people live up to unpleasant stereotypes.

2. iggy

iggy Minimodder

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Sounds like a case of the internet cojones. :p

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

You get used to it. IRC made me stronger as a man and helped me overcome my drug addiction.

<A88>

5. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

Rofl

i say name and shame these miscreants so we can shun them and possibly insult them on irc

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Darn, it made me an even bigger addict...

OT, if you can't even stand that bit of fooling around, stay clear of everything connected to the internet... and certainly IRC...

7. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

If you cant take 5 minutes of IRC bashing you should run back to AIM and stay there. IRC is only accepting to a very specific type of person i.e. Your dead inside or mentally traumatized!

8. ArsoN

ArsoN What's a Dremel?

Or a hyper-masculine sexual diety such as fathazza, or maybe hitman012.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

You just need to be self-confident enough to not let some text slewn about from far reaches of the internet bother you. I mean seriously, it's multiplayer notepad. Get some conviction.

I advise you unhook your intarnets and stay locked indoors as to avoid all possible attacks on your character.

[​IMG]

10. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

technically both features are required...

11. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I dunno. There was nothing to suggest it was "fooling around". Maybe I'm a bit mental, but hey, I figured a Bit-tech channel might be worth going on IRC for. I gave up on it years ago because of exactly that sort of playground mentality.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not upset. Just disappointed that even Bit-tech harbours utter tossers. Obviously my world view is totally wrong.

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Playground as in keeping asking about something long passed, like 20 minutes ago?

EDIT: and what made you think IRC has changed just one bit? IRC is used by the crown of the upper geeks, they don't change overnight ;)

13. will.

I just ventured on, (my firefox irc thing still works apparently) they sure are a fruity bunch aren't they :p
    I wouldn't get too worked up over it though, I think one of them is high on cough syrup!

14. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I wasn't aware a time limit was attached to insulting behavior.

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Mr X was yanking your chain, you didn't notice it, took it seriously and kept on going about it...

16. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Like I say. Not worked up. Just disappointed. Considering it linked in the FAQ, it's not exactly a great advert for the forum.

17. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Fair enough. But I fear for Mr X's personal life (and physical well-being) if he thinks that equates to being funny or winding someone up. And I didn't go on about it either. I was perfectly entitled to know what he was on about.

18. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Not exactly supposed to be a forum advert, is it. There's not a single IRC regular who's not been on the forums for quite some time anyway; it's more of a place for archaic Bit members from a time when these boards were a very close-knit group of lesser proportions.

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

It's just IRC! Darn, if you are insulted by <insert bad language>, how can you ever listen to hip-hop or rap on the radio? They are talking about "yo-momma" all the time, cursing a minimal of 10 times every sentence

And if you are so civil as you claim to be, better keep your nose out of others personal life IMHO...

20. will.

Huh? Did you quote the wrong person?

Tags: