1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob At DVD Burning...please help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by DSquareD, 11 Nov 2007.

1. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

Hey all,
    ok so i have had a DVD burner for almost 2 years now and i realise i have never burnt a DVD (i lie i used to but alas i have actually lost the only software i understood how to use). And i have a ton of home movies that i would love to burn to dvd for family abroad. Can anyone give me a guide to burning a normal quicktime or itunes or WMP video file into a watchable DVD? (i am currently using nero 7 but im open to new software - though should be free seeing as how i spent all my cash on nero)

2. da_msta_chizz

da_msta_chizz What's a Dremel?

yes...''home movies..''.. try DVD Shrink..not bad, and has alot of tutorials if you do a google search.

3. DSquareD

haha no seriously home movies...not the downloaded pirate movies i have...i have no interest to burn them...i prefer watching them thru itunes or window media player...(my surround sound and screen are the best part)

DVD shrink huh? i actually used to have it...wasnt ever sure of how to work it...
    will give it a try.

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Open Nero 7 StartSmart and go to Photo and Video, Make your own DVD-Video

Then just drag the files across, IIRC.

5. charlesbeams

charlesbeams TRANCEFORMer

or get Nero 8, which has nerovision 5. and do pretty much the same thing :p

6. DSquareD

Ok so i tried this and it says this message "Unable to insert D:\Movies\Home Movie 1\.mp4."

What gives?

7. capnPedro

Sounds liek you're trying to add a file, which doesn't have a name? (".mp4")

8. DSquareD

what do u mean by doesnt have a name?
    simply the name i gave the file (coz thats home movie 1) or is it something else?
    i tried burning a different format movie and that sort of worked though every time i try watch the disc on my dvd player in my room it says its a bad disc so i waited 2 hours to burn that thing for nothing!!!!
    please help!!!

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

He meant the actual typed post you previously put up. No name.

"Unable to insert D:\Movies\Home Movie 1\.mp4." <---- the period at the end (lol)

You prolly meant "Unable to insert D:\Movies\Home Movie 1\whatever file.mp4", which would mean that the software you were attempting to use doesn't like the extension or something.

10. DSquareD

Ok so i searched all through the night for a program and i found one! its called convertXtoDVD. It converts your mpeg (or any other file format u can think of) into a dvd file (ISO or whatever else it is) and then it gives the option of burning to a dvd!

My problem begins here:
    the burning never works! it either reads an error message saying that the medium format is corrupt or it simply chooses not to burn.

Does anyone know of which program i should now use to burn the dvd/ISo files to a dvd?

11. DSquareD

Ok so i think i know the problem with ConvertxtoDVD...it converts your files just fine but the problem is that it converts them into .vob files. which is no good because i need the files in .ISO format to burn (don't I?)

please someone help me with this...

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

.Vob's are perfectly fine, as this is DVD architecture. Do you have Nero? Nero will read these and place them in the correct directory on the disc when you select burn DVD Video. Burn. Simple as pie.

13. DSquareD

i tried that a few times and it always freezes or stops working or the disc doesnt work when i play it in my dvd player!
    im close to tears over this i have spent the past 2 days straight with little rest, trying to figure this out. i now have nero 7, dvd shrink, anyDVD, dvd decrypter, convertXtoDVD and nothing wants to work!

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

Then it may be your player. There are a small percentage of the players out there that cannot play or have trouble playing burns, even to this day. What player are your attempting to play this back on?

EDIT: Model # specific.

15. DSquareD

well it might be but i dont see why because it plays other copies and burns that i have from friends or made myself! its just so frustrating!!!!!

ive tried it on 3 specfic players but the one i use (my one) is a diamond DV-1701.

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hmm... what media are you using to burn with? And what type can you play back? DVD-R or +R, RW or all?

Just for a side future reference, I'd recommend using Taiyo Yuden media; best in business.

17. DSquareD

I've tried every media possible, RW, -R, +R.

Taiyo Yuden? is that the brand of the player or the dvds themselves?

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

Taiyo Yuden is a burnable media brand. They make everything.

I don't know what else to tell you. If you're successfully burning the disc and it closes, it should play.

19. capnPedro

Does it play on the PC in Media Player (as Video-DVD) (browsing the disc should have VIDEO_TS folders etc.)

20. DSquareD

no thats the thing...its like it burns it but doesnt actually write anything to the disc because when i insert the disc back in my pc it doesnt read anything. i even tried inserting it into the other drive.