1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Case almost done, but I need a name...[PICTURES ADDED 56K & RESOLUTION WARNING]

Discussion in 'Modding' started by cderalow, 10 Sep 2002.

1. space_monkey_mod

space_monkey_mod What's a Dremel?

Thanks. That gave me my fix to last a little while at least.

2. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

buttfloss.

3. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

How's this for eye candy?

[​IMG]
    Side shot with all lights on

[​IMG]
    Front LEDs for rheobus and HDD indicator setup missing, flash on, lights off

[​IMG]
    Front grill (picture is upsidedown... green light at bottom is the floppy indicator)

[​IMG]
    Side flash on, lights on

[​IMG]
    Side flash on, lights off

[​IMG]
    Side blowhole... up close... can see crack in plexi... on second revision of window, I plan on ficing mistake blowhole

[​IMG]
    Top blowhole, flash off cathodes shining through

more @ http://users.wpi.edu/~cderalow/images/computer/digicam/

4. Galvatron

Galvatron What's a Dremel?

Hmm sorry for me sayign this, but it looks cheap and tacky... i think its the paintjob

d.xxx

5. Liquid K9

Liquid K9 Human programmer.. heh

sorry, got to agree. its 'too black', but then again some people dont like 'charcoal black' like I do.

6. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

it'll get a custom paint job this summer.... black was just because i can't stand the charcoal gray and i had black available in mass

7. music_for_life

music_for_life What's a Dremel?

this happen to me

This happened to me once as my last name is watt,
    the person went sick, almost got my head bitten off,
    if it gets as bad as it did that day I just spell it out so I don't get killed.

8. space_monkey_mod

space_monkey_mod What's a Dremel?

Mmmpph.. mmmm.. eyes are getting their fill. Yum. thanks.

I agree that the paint job looks pretty sloppy. (I'm guessing no primer or sanding, just one thick coat?) I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it looks better in person, since the flash can be pretty unforgiving. There doesn't seem to be much paint around the power and HDD LEDs and on the side panel on the top right it looks like you put the panel down on the ground before it was dry. It wouldn't be much more work to sand with a fine grit sandpaper lightly and apply a few more very thin coats, giving plenty of time to dry and sanding lightly between coats. I guarantee you'll be happier with the finish, and then you won't have any desire to get it done by somebody else.

Now, on to what I like about your case. The window cut is unique, which is always refreshing. I am very intrigued by the side blowhole fan which is just above the latch on the side panel. I assume you have this sucking hot air out? I have exactly the same case and so I was wondering if you saw your temps drop after adding that side blowhole? Or maybe the top blowhole was most effective? I also love the bloo ramsinks on your video card. They go with the blorb and the bloo rounded cables very nicely. Blowholes on top and side look to be nicely cut and look very clean. Intake fan on the bottom is a nice idea but I would be concerned about dust intake especially since it's on the floor. Green and blue cathodes are sweet. It looks like 3 cathode switches on the front... is there a third cathode somewhere too? The power cable looming looks fantastic and doesn't seem to be blocking airflow but you could probably tuck them out of sight a little better. The rheostat knobs look great and you seem to have done a nice job painting your drives (something I haven't gotten to yet). My only other question is about the three LEDs just above the floppy... what are they for?

9. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

There doesn't seem to be much paint around the power and HDD LEDs and on the side panel on the top right it looks like you put the panel down on the ground before it was dry.
    <-- tape went over it to help me sleep.... bright LEDs :D

I am very intrigued by the side blowhole fan which is just above the latch on the side panel. I assume you have this sucking hot air out?
    <-- mistake... :eyebrow: was meant to be over cards but i rushed... when I revise the entire thing (paint, window, some other stuff...) it'll be fixed..

Intake fan on the bottom is a nice idea but I would be concerned about dust intake especially since it's on the floor.
    <-- no more dust than gets taken in by the front two fans... but i have a habit of vaccuuming once a week... and as for the cleaness of the cuts... holesaws with high speed drills and the deburring tool on the dremel did a great job

It looks like 3 cathode switches on the front... is there a third cathode somewhere too?
    <-- very bottom of the front grill has a 4" blue ccfl tucked into it... one 12" blue ccfl in the bottom, one 12" green ccfl in the top

My only other question is about the three LEDs just above the floppy... what are they for?
    <-- haven't decided yet.... knight rider LED train or macro HDD indicator... which ever I can source the parts for...

and since it was just a quick coat since I dislike the charcoal black... it was rushed using lacquer for fast drying... wasn't meant as my finish coat.... hoping to strip, sand and repaint over the christmas break or during the summer next year depending on if i can find the paint i want

10. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

wow, one thing I like about bit-tech is people don't just automatically gush over every mod. We pick it apart and want to learn how people did things and offer structural critisizm but it takes guts to show your box to the world. I feel compelled to say good things about it. The fact is, it still looks better than a stock box, dig the cut outs and the fan that goes from the metal panel into the window. My paintjob on my rig looks really good (IMHO) and when I photographed it, it looked like a completely different color and dust that I couldn't see was glaring when I took pictures... keep it going dood you have a solid base to work with there. :D

11. essjaytee

essjaytee emtarkanderundergunderson

I think someone needs to name a case "Project Mayhem"... or.. it may have already been done.