1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

http://scc.jezmckean.com/cat/42

I imported the standard 120mm fan by CandyKing, but I don't know how to get rid of the measurements in sketchup. Help?

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Right-click, "explode" the model. Delete the measurements. You may have to click into the groups inside the model. The fan is really a group of fan housing, the group of the blades and the hub.

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

Metaversa, The Return?
    You going to have a funky 3D logo again?

4. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I have worked on it for quite a while, and I am going to stop for today (maybe). This is what I have so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Nov 2007
  5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The lighting could have been better, I was being rushed by my dad to go, so I just set it up without even doing any lighting

Scooby could you explain all the AA setting like, ray trace low, photomap fine AA 0.03, photomap quick

It's chrome, like I said I was in a big rush and need to leave, so I didn't have time to set it up properly, I didn't draw the pump and I didn't see how rough the edges were until it was done rendering

BTW it took 1.5-2 hours to do that at photomap - High AA - 0.03 at 1280x1024 (resize to upload)

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Thats a nice looking case.
    so whats the Structure on the backpanel.(the weird triangular grid) is it just support?

7. scooby

scooby Minimodder

:blush:Opps!!!!

8. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Well Beast I'll do what I can, at the moment I'm still doing more research on that but from the "Get Started" tutorial and from what I have used so far I'll do my best.

Let’s start with what was written on the "Get Started" tutorial:

I don’t know about you but that information is just a little short for me...Duh!!! Anywho, let me start by listing what you would see when you start your render. First you will click on the GREEN button with a running man. Then you will see this.

[​IMG]

Camera
    ## Current View ##
    (NOTE: You can set multiple cameras in you drawings and select which one you want to use during your render from here.)

Resolution
    200x200
    320x200
    320x240
    500x500
    512x384
    640x480
    768x576
    800x600
    1024x768
    1280x1024
    1600x1200
    2048x1536
    2816x2112
    (NOTE: When test rendering try to stay at 800x600 or lower, as higher resolutions adds to your rendering time.)

Settings
    ## Custom Settings ##
    01. Ray Tracing – Low
    02. Ray Tracing – High + AA 0.3
    03. Ray Tracing – Quick
    04. Ray Tracing – Low
    05. PhontonMap – Medium
    06. PhontonMap – Medium + AA 0.3
    07. PhontonMap – High + AA 0.3
    08. PhontonMap – Fine + AA 0.3
    09. PhontonMap+Caustics – Medium
    10. PhontonMap+Caustics – Medium + AA 0.3
    11. PhontonMap+Caustics – High + AA 0.3
    12. PhontonMap+Caustics – Fine + AA 0.3
    13. Path Tracing – Quick
    14. Path Tracing – Low
    15. Path Tracing – Medium
    16. Path Tracing – High + AA 0.3
    17. Path Tracing – Progressive
    18. Bidirectional Path Tracing
    19. Metropolis Light Transport
    20. Clay Render (Path Tracing – Quick)
    21. Clay Render (Path Tracing – Medium)
    22. Ambient Occlusion
    23. Depth Render
    24. Mack Render
    (NOTE: As suggested use “03. Ray Tracing – Quick” when doing your test renderings)

Threads
    ## Custom Settings ##
    (NOTE: Use this to select how many threads (CPU Cores) to use when rendering. KT allows you to utilize Dual Core CPUs if needed.)

I used 07. PhontonMap – High + AA 0.3 for this render. If I remember correctlly this took 10-12 minutes to render.
    [​IMG]

This one rendered using ## Custom Settings ##. About 2 minutes.
    [​IMG]

As you know Kerkythea 2007 does not have an official manual out yet so the only info I can get is from the tutorial pdf you can download from their site which I suggest you all download. I must admit though very informative and specific they are a lot to read and digest.

The only info at this time I could fine about rendering is what I have written above. That said these are my findings so far…
    - Use 03. Ray Tracing – Quick when doing your test renderings.
    - Use ## Custom Settings ## or 11. PhontonMap+Caustics – High + AA 0.3 when doing your final render.
    - The more reflective and refractive materials you add the longer it will take to render
    - Be aware the more details you add to your models will also relate to how long it will take to render
    - Get the tutorials and read them they are a wealth of information.
    - Go to and register at the KT forum the guys there are very helpful and that’s where all the KT gurus are.

I hope this helps a little in answering you question Beast, and I guess we will master this together.:thumb:

9. The_Beast

This last part is what helped me the most, I knew that ray trace low is for the test render. All I really wanted to know is if there is a better/final render better than 07. PhontonMap – High + AA 0.3

That post will help a lot of "noob" when first starting KT, Yes we will have to master this together. BTW when I downloaded Marci's lighting thingy I got a corrupt file message

10. matrixops

matrixops What's a Dremel?

First SU model

Well, I finally broke down and tried out sketchup over blender. I must say that I find it very nice. Here is my first project, a Swiftech MCR220-QP Res radiator.

[​IMG]

I think it turned out pretty well, but I definitely have room for improvement. I am going to work on the rendering of it using Kerkythea.

11. scooby

scooby Minimodder

@matrixops, for a first attempt that pretty good. I tried Blender too and find it a great 3D modeling app. SU is still the most user friendly 3D app out their. When you have a finished your model and wish to share it and add it to Jez's collection please contact The Man (Jez) here http://scc.jezmckean.com/

Can't wait to see more of your work my friend...keep it up!!! And if you have any question don't hesitate to ask. We are all learning here from one another and if we can answer it we will try.;)

Your welcome Beast-Man. For more info and resources on Kerkythea here are some important links:

Website

Forum

KT Tutorials

Tutorials form KT Forum (Lots of them)

KT Downloads

SU Forum for KT

Good Reads

Question: Any one using SU on Vista 64? Any problems?

Scoob:thumb:

Last edited: 12 Nov 2007
  12. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

@matrixops: Your model looks really good - I'd be happy to add it to the collection if you want.

13. matrixops

@jezmck: Let me touch up the threaded ports for the barbs a bit and I will let you know when it is ready via pm. Then if you tell me what size jpg to send with it I can export it and send it your way too.

14. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Image size ~300x200

15. matrixops

@jezmck: I sent you a message via the contact form on the SCC website with the URL's for the skp and jpg.

16. THE JEW (RaVeN)

THE JEW (RaVeN) What's a Dremel?

Hello,

Just joined here since this seems to be one of the better Sketchup discussions going on. I've searched through the thread, gotten most of my answers, but I still have one.

How do you scale a texture to proper dimensions?

My Problem:

I'm modeling the Asus Quadfather.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=136&l3=486&l4=0&model=1530&modelmenu=1

I've already gotten a model 1/2 done to proper scale, but I took a picture myself and I feel the texture is too dark. So I'd like to start over using some of the large textures off review websites.

http://www.kohryu.com/picture/asus/l1n64-sli-ws/l1n64-sli-ws.jpg
    http://www.kohryu.com/picture/asus/l1n64-sli-ws/l1n64-sli-ws-back.jpg
    http://www.thgtr.com/cpu/20061207/images/asus-l1n64-sli-large.jpg
    http://www.unitycorp.co.jp/backup_unity/products/socket_f/detail/l1n64_sli_ws/gazou/bigphoto.jpg

However, any picture I choose seems to suffer from a "fisheye" in that even when my mobo shape is the correct dimensions, when I push pin the texture to the corners the dimensions turn out wrong (ie. the PCI slots are 1.5cm too long). I know about the scale button on the left for the whole model. Is there anyway I can do that with the texture? I'd just like to "shrink" the texture a bit, re-push-pin it, and start extruding with the proper dimensions.

I don't know how I would scale it, re-stretch (push pin) it, and maintain the proper dimensions.

Any tips? Thanks.

17. matrixops

One option would be to edit the picture/image you are using as the texture in another program such as GIMP to the size you want, then import the edited version as a texture, push pin, etc.

18. THE JEW (RaVeN)

THE JEW (RaVeN) What's a Dremel?

So if I shrink the texture, say by 15%, in gimp and then re-push-pin it the dimensions would be correct? That would be a nice and easy fix.

19. The_Beast

When I downloaded Marci's lighting box I got a corrupt file message

20. matrixops

I have done that and also used the crop tool in gimp to trim off any extra space from the images, leaving only the motherboard image. I am not sure exactly what your texture looks like right now but I would probably try trimming/cropping the image to have only the motherboard then try push-pinning it to the surface/face.

I am currently working on a Abit KN8-SLI model and that is what I did.