1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Crytek loves PC, hates consoles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Nov 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

right as they may be they might possibly be slightly biased
    having just spent god knows how much developing CryEngine2 and Crysis :p

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

If they had made a game with solid gameplay the graphics argument might have stood some ground, but they didn't really. Its fun, no doubt, but its definitely not solid gameplay.

In the right hands the Cry Engine could be use to awesome effect. Some truly beautiful games could be made.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Please make the specs higher, this way i have an excuse to buy some more dope hardware :D

5. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

What he's actually saying is that gamepads are rubbish for 3D modelling apps and RTS games.

If you could use a keyboard and mouse combo, then there wouldn't be a great deal of difference between the PC versions and console versions.

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

there are some games than lend themselves to the console, and there are others that are better for the pc. I could not play a RTS on a console, but I would rather play a driving game on a console just becuase of the controller. sure i can but a fancy steering wheel for the pc but id rather use the keyboard than spend that money. I dont think that either system will go away. The pc has too much versatility(high and low end games) and the console is too specialized.

7. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

But then the Definitions/Specs of "Console" and "PC" are now crossing each other's boundaries.
    Re PC : The advent of decent "Monitors" (aka your HD TV) and joypads and streaming and all sorts of other things the PC is now being used for
    Re Consoles : The PS3 has probably started the transformation of an ickle gaming console into a versatile tool(like a PC) with Linux on it, Divx native in the PS3 OS, Internet, Media streaming, easy connection of keyboard/mouse, USB sockets, Wifi etc.

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

agree Crytek. PC Cheesecake!! yes im a biased. yes i own a console too. yes, i live on a budget.

PC is PC. in a nutshell, just in terms of gaming even, u can do more. yup. more.
    a Console is a console. you play game. period.

other than specialized console only games and poorly ported console-to-PC-games, tell me... what can the console do in the world of gaming that a PC cant, that its worth for people to buy a console instead?

9. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

my console plays Blu-Ray movies:D

ok, seriously(I know we can buy Blu-Ray PC drives;)) , I have my PC and all it's peripherals upstairs in it's own room, and my PS3 downstairs connected to my TV.
    There is no way I would ever consider connecting my PC to my TV downstairs, each has it's uses(for now, until I buy a stand alone BD player for TV)

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

By all accounts i've read, linux on the ps3 is a bit of a gimic, not enough memory for a proper WM and no access to the gfx hardware for any 3d work.

11. DrFreeze

DrFreeze What's a Dremel?

good luck running a full 3d modelling/rendering app (or whichever) in the whooping 512 mb of memory the 360 gives you, or even cooler, try unlocking the full 3d modelling potential of that AWESOME cell proc with the 256 mb of system memory that the ps3 gives you.

I know this wasnt entirely your point, but its not just the gamepad which makes a console totally unsuited for anything besides niche gaming/multimedia tasks

that said, i still love my 360, i couldnt stand playing PGR on a pc :D even if i could

12. SubtleOne

SubtleOne What's a Dremel?

Obviously he will say this about Crysis, and even though the claim on the requirments may be way off base as all reviews confirm, his statement on the vitality of PC gaming is correct. Consider games such as Civilization 4 or a favorite of mine: Galactic Civilizations II. These are games that were designed for the PC, even if they aren't technologically limited to them. But there are other factors.

Consider Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. A game that exists on top game consoles. I loved the game as many, on the PC, but was not happy with a number of things, such as the universal leveling so that some creatures were almost always stronger than the character, no matter how many levels you had earned. This is easily fixed with the many mods available, ONLY ON A PC, including new characters, new terrains, home-made missions, etc.

13. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

If you use it for anything else other than 3d work (from what I've heard and will soon hopefully experience myself) it runs great w/ Ubuntu.....but that is something I haven't experienced so.......

Why couldn't you stand playling it on your PC? That makes no sense.....you can still use gamepads on PC and kickass racing wheels for a lot cheaper than MS's offering for 360.....

14. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

If you stick to PC gaming then you will sooner or later end up on the upgrade merry-go-round, you buy better hardware to play the latest games as well as seeing some older titles at their very best. This pushes the publishers to improve on the latest hot game by either building a new super-dooper graphics engine or upgrading their current version to wow the punters and we then have to upgrade again.

With a console you know that when you stick the disk into the machine it will run straight away and you won't have to worry about a broken game being released or hoping that your unique combination of hardware doesn't cause the game to constantly crash or even fail to work at all. However, the very same console game is then locked in place and you don't get the benifit of upgrades, mods and add ons as you do with the PC.

I reckon both consoles and PC's have their own place in gaming, its down to personal preference and bias, I prefer my PC for serious games and my X-Box for a quick gaming fix (its also useful for entertaining neices & nephews when they visit) and I love the Wii for the sheer fun you have when you're wiggling the remotes about, especially at a party.

15. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

You can definitely play Crysis on a medium spec computer. I have a 6600gt, A64 3200, 1gb ram, and can play it at 1024x768 with most settings on medium.

16. maha_x

maha_x What's a Dremel?

Your answer; simplicity and casuality. No booting up windows, no installing, no driver updating, no abusive copy protections, no viruses.. the list goes on. There's the whole package that comes with PC. A console runs with a push of a button, altough software updates are a new for consoles but even that's simple and fast. I made a "horizontal" upgrade to a decent surfing/media box and moved my gaming business to my 360. Been happy with that. But I know there are those who like the PC's ability to affect things, mods, graphics settings/tweaks and so on. I remember trying Oblivion on my PC and the list of possibilities for graphics tweaking was daunting. I just gave up. So both have ups and downs, but there's no reason to try and push either system down. It about personal preference, not the system.

Anyhow, I could bet for a console port of Crysis. They just can't ignore the size of that market. Mayby they get someone else do the port and cover their eyes from the dirty consolization done the their beloved PC-exlusive game..

And why would a console run 3D modeling? That's just silly.

BTW, console RTS games would play much nicer if someone finally came out with trackball gamepad..

17. evox

evox What's a Dremel?

I agree with Crytek! PCs Cheesecake!

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

me too, cheesecake for everyone :clap:

that will happen, but i bet the console players won't enjoy the port as much as us 8800GTX owners running a proper FPS with proper controls on Very High ;)

that is completely false. my friend got a China bought Wii, and some games bought here can't be played. where as with a chinese CPU cooler i bought, i was still able to play UK bought Crysis :hehe:

the upgrading argument simply doesn't stand up, are people suggesting they'd stick to n64 (it's the 2nd best console btw) because they own a console and don't need to upgrade? NO. you buy xbox, and then xbox360. PS1, PS2 and then PS3. add up 100 games and you'd probably be looking at something more expensive than a upgraded PC anyway.

19. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I've got a UK Wii. Chances are I won't be ble to play many Chinese/US Wii games on it.

That's hardly a fair comparrison. A better one would be "He bought a Chinese Wii-mote and can still play his games with it.".

Consoles and games are like DVD players and films - they're region locked in most cases. There may be work arounds for it, but a little bit of common sense and customer knowledge should be applied. It sounds like your friend was slightly lacking on both counts.

20. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I was assuming that if you buy a UK console then you buy UK games, if you are going to buy games that are not intended to be used in your region (as definded by Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, etc, etc) then I don't see how you can expect them to play unless you chip the console.

Tags: Add Tags