1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK music retailers say ‘DRM is killing us’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Nov 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

hmm i guess the real question now is whether anything will happen. Don't know how much "power" ERA has...

3. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

:sigh: indeed :(

they will literally be dead before they realise its too late to do anything about it. oh well.

4. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

i do like music, but as long a DRM free sites exist, there will be purchaser.

damn you apple and your stupid ipod, its all your fault

5. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

ERR..OMG they only just relising this...DUHHH!!!!!

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Unfortunately it's not the right people realising it :(

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I don't think removing DRM will increase online music purchases, I don't even think the masses know what DRM is.

I think the honeymoon period for getting rich from music is coming to and end. As the digital age takes over we'll be listening to more varied and rarer music and not what the media try push into our ears.

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

not being funny but the music released at the moment and the last 5 years is rubbish nothing good has been released since oasis
    why would people buy any of the rubbish that is being made at the moment

9. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

What?! You mean you don't cd's of every r'n'b single which all sound the same? Or a cover of a very recent release with the only difference being a back beat of 'm-dis, m-dis, m-dis' ;)

I agree. Along with what Jamie said, the get rich quick concept of the music industry isn't coming but *is* over, IMO. A hugely over saturated market of crap music compounded with draconian regulations being imposed on the consumer, along with a business model that is about 10 years out of date has sealed their fate.

10. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

There's a typo in the article...
    "Bayley also highlighted that record labels were quick to complain when the slide in CD says sales wasn’t offset":)

As has been said, not sure if this will encourage any of the record industry types to ditch DRM for good. :(

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks for spotting that - fixed. :thumb:

12. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

If they have worked it out others should also be able to see that, so maybe if more people jump on the bandwagon they will stop this DRM poo!

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't agree at all, I do think most mainstream music is crap, but there is still a lot of good music being made, it's just not too popular anymore.

14. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

To the music industry

"I know you're out there. I can feel you now. I know that you're afraid... you're afraid of us. You're afraid of change. I don't know the future. I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin. I'm going to hang up this phone, and then I'm going to show these people what you don't want them to see. I'm going to show them a world without DRM. A world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you. "

P.S sorry for the shameless Matrix quote;)

15. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

^^nice 1 Bungle. Perhaps one of the reasons why these retailers using DRM are not selling songs is because there are DRM free alternatives out there. Amazon.com is now offering DRM free songs (256bit) for reasonable prices and their selection is the best I've ever seen in an online store. Of course, consumers can always opt to get the physical CD and enjoy the highest quality sound without any DRM (unless you're using it on Windows.) With an environment like that, I'm surprised those companies were able to sell as many songs as they did.

16. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

The masses are aware of DRM which is why this is happening. BTW I want some PPM recorded music like used In SACD that way I can eliminate the DAC from my sound system as the output should only need low pass filtering... should sound increadable! :O

17. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Actually i think DRM probably effects the masses more, People like us know how to get round/remove DRM

The masses dont know, and when they click that rip button in WMP or try to copy it to their MP3 player, or whatever - and they get an error message saying they cant, what do you think they do? (Hint: stop buying music?)

18. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

I can tell you that since Amazon has come around with their DRM-free, good quality MP3 site, I have purchased more music that I have in years. I don't plan on sharing the files all over the net or anything, but when I spend my money, I want to have full control of what I buy. This is what they are providing and I'll but stuff that I feel deserves my money as long as they don't treat me like a criminal when I'm not.

19. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Any industry who doesn't listen to it's consumers will die out eventually. DRM and the Internet will only speed up the process.

20. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

LMFAO @ Bungle's quote! :D

Tags: Add Tags