1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics HP Laserjet Memory modules

Discussion in 'Modding' started by eaterofpies, 8 Sep 2002.

1. nesbit37

nesbit37 Guest

I am not sure how to convince you through the forums but I can tell you what you can do before you go buy ram for the printer and possibly waste money on it.

Install print server on XP if you haven't all ready. If you have one installed on your pc or have a router with a print server built in enable them and do a few test prints. The server will handle allmost all of the thinking (ram use) for the printer and if you get the same error occuring then it is either something physically wrong with the printer or a driver/configuration problem.

-Nesbit

2. ducktape

ducktape What's a Dremel?

sorry, i didn't make myself clear. the printer is a laserjet 5l, the cheapo 'home' model. i picked it from a house down my road that had thrown it out with the rubbish(there was also a box for a new printer there) also there were paper feed problems, so my guess is that they just gave up on it and decided a new printer was less hastle and faster.

3. ducktape

ok, i believe you. can you explain what you mean by set up a printer server. i'm assuming you don't mean share the thing on the LAN?

4. nesbit37

nesbit37 Guest

Sharing a printer on a network with windows is kind of a print server, but like many of the features of windows (hard links, soft links, wizards etc.) it is a really bad way to do it.

Follow this link and dl a demo of a print server that should be easy to set up and try it out.

If you don't like that one or can't get it to work do a search on google for print server demos and you should find plenty. I don't set many (actually I don't think any) up on windows. Usually do it for Unix, Linux and NetWare.

-Nesbit

5. ducktape

ok, thank you very much. i'll give it a go and c if it works.

6. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

thanks ill give it a go too i hope its not the ram tho cas im too poor to afford it

7. ducktape

doesn't seem to help, but thanks anyway. I suppose i should reboot into linux and c if i still get the problem

8. nesbit37

nesbit37 Guest

Yes that would be good. Seeing as the print server didn't solve your problems I highly recommend you uninstall and reinstall your drivers and go to HP and match their recommended configuration settings. This is assuming it works in Linux, if it dosen't well then there is something amiss with the printer.

-Nesbit

9. linear

linear Minimodder

OK, let me wedge my LaserJet 5L question in this thread then...

Any reason that I wouldn't be able to hook mine to a JetDirect box and print over the net via a Windows lpr? (My company has a unlimited license for ACITS lpr.)

10. nesbit37

nesbit37 Guest

Well there are tons of reasons of why it couldn't work but yes you should be able to do it :)

Just typical network issues (firewalls, proxies, improper tunneling) that would prevent this. Depending on how the network is set up a VPN may need to be set up too, but if you are doing this at home then all these variables should be under your control anyway.

Far as the printer and Jet Direct are concerned as long as the printers NIC and cable are good you should have little problems.

-Nesbit

11. linear

linear Minimodder

Cool, I was just wondering mainly about using a host-based driver, since it's so picky about bid communication etc. But I've been using the PCL driver for a while and I don't think it sucks any more than the other one (just sucks different :D).

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

too true...don't know whether to :D or :cries: