1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Temporary name: Bloo Balls --6-29-'11 Bloo 2.0 refit COMPLETED page 47

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 3 Jun 2007.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Cheapskate, let me know your opinion on DD's PC Chill coolant when you get around to using it in the rig. I'm curious to see the results. Obviously a direct competitor to PC Ice. The price-point is definitely attractive if you're looking for that kind of solution.

2. floriske.nl

floriske.nl What's a Dremel?

OMG! I've just been browsing through your worklog for the first time and I wish I had seen this earlier (haven't been registered at Bit-Tech very long yet and am a very busy bugger, because of which I don't get to reading worklogs a lot :blush:).

This is some amazing work, especially on handling the acryllics (Duh, most of the case is made of that stuff ;)) and I'm deffinatelly going to try to follow this project more often!

Last edited: 20 Nov 2007
  3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@ledbythereaper -Thanks! The current name is fairly permanent now. I kept the 'Temporary Name:' on there to be cheeky.:D It also helps me to find the log easier.

@EEL -I'm betting it's the same stuff, with Danger Den branding. So if it's cheaper...:thumb:(you know my name!!!!)

@floriske.nl -I'm glad you like it. I have another supermodder seal of approval!:clap:

4. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

[​IMG]
    God I love MS paint
    simply print off on 3M adhesive paper and post wherever whenever!

5. Design_Master

Design_Master Presenting: LUMINA

As you must know, I love acrylic jobs and yours is amazing! The water block is a pearl! Congrats!

6. Cheapskate

@Brett89 -:hehe: I would have went with each avatar in a pokeman card.

@Design_Master -I like your case too, and I'm going to steal some of your tricks.:D

7. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

oooh thats a good idea. I still have mine and a scanner, this could work. I really liked the InternetCrusade though, seemed appropriate.

8. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

Are you going to make your own custom DCC top or either replace it with a transparent one or just stick with the standard one?

9. Cheapskate

Funny you should ask... I've been looking for the measurements of the insides of the pump. I'm not totally sure I can pull it off, but it would be fun to try. even a scan of the clear top would be a big help.
    I would also like to get the system together by the end of the year, so I might hold off on this idea.

10. Cheapskate

Did I just jinx myself with that last post?
    ...I think I did.
    [​IMG]
    -The shortened T-line connection. Because of the problems with the screw in part, this was sealed with silicone instead of solder. It would be hard to get the part positioned perfectly if I didn't do it this way. I'm worried about it holding, so I globbed a little extra silicone on the underside.
    [​IMG]
    -I riveted the baseplate together finally.
    [​IMG]
    -Aww, look at the DangerDen pump getting settled in it's new home. You can see here I have dyed the molex plugs. Parts are starting to migrate to the new case. -a sign I'm getting closer to finishing.
    [​IMG]
    -And time to find stuff doesn't fit the same as you planned. The pump will have to move. At first I thought about making a bracket for the bracket that goes on the bracket, but that even sounds like cr*p. Instead I drilled more holes in the first bracket.
    [​IMG]
    -A rare belly shot of the case.
    [​IMG]
    -The new pump layout. It just fits the copper line, so I don't have to trim the barbs back.
    [​IMG]
    -Of course, I changed the parts a bit, so now the fit between the reservoir and the pumpline is doo doo.:rolleyes: I had to get freaky with the layout to get this to work again.
    [​IMG]
    -The previously mentioned freaky bit. I tried to solder the hell out of this part. I hope some of that solder made it's way inside to the pipe holding these elbows together.
    [​IMG]
    -The green outlines the new plumbing. It's still a bad fit, but much better than before. I'm hoping this won't put too much stress on everything with the tygon on. (Yeah, right...)
    [​IMG]
    -Here's the new part all polished up. It's currently laquered and drying. Anyone need a home made trombone?

This update was brought to you by the letter...
    [​IMG]
    :rock: Double D!

Last edited: 25 Nov 2007
  11. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

I allways whanted to play the trombone but they are so ugly but i really like this one, can i have it please :D

anyway nice work, I like when it shines :clap:

12. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

just a thought .................. maybe shorten the long staight pipe by an inch or maybe less .......

the case is really starting to look fantastic ..........

Alan

13. Cheapskate

Thanks dudes! Mr Carl, you are a terrible liar. -No one wants to play the trombone.

@theAlien -Yeah, I got lazy. I Don't want to grind off the plexi bracket and make a new one. I also would be able to fix the angle in the U-bend if I spliced the pipe and re-did it...
    The more I think about it, the more I know I need to fix it. -Removing the Laquer is going to suck...

I'm betting this will get in the way of the drive cables when I'm done.

14. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

OK I admit you got me I never whanted to play the trombone but I would still like to have one just so I can say to the girls "You want to come home to me and play on my trombone" and really meen it :)

15. karbonKid

karbonKid Minimodder

I always wanted to play the trombone, ever since i first saw Madness on TV all those years ago...

16. Cheapskate

I wouldn't have admitted that after Mr Carl went and made it all sexual...

17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I love the piping, awesomely done :clap: The more of that piping you have the better :thumb:

18. Cheapskate

Maybe... It's getting crowded in the case. (As you will soon see...)

Huge update: Migrating the parts over to Bloo Balls turned into an all day process.
    [​IMG]
    -First, I cut my freshly laquered pipe.:duh: I need to go to the hardware store to get a splice fitting.
    [​IMG]
    -The floppy and CD were pressing against the faceplate. (The punishment for using old parts in the initial measurements,) I had to cut my beautiful machining up. Some Day I will learn to put in slots instead.
    [​IMG]
    -I also had to chop off one of my pretty brackets. That will teach me not to glue them down in advance.
    [​IMG]
    -While the varnish was drying on the CPU blocks metal bits, I mounted up the new NB block. Check out the tweak on the spring.
    [​IMG]
    -As I suspected, the fan shroud is a bust. The NB block is totally in the way.
    [​IMG]
    -The spacers need to be 5/8". The 1/8" plexi I used is actually a little less than 1/8th, so I planned to fill in the gap with some Motherboard washers. They turned out to be M3, so I had to drill the little turds out to fit.
    [​IMG]
    -Ah, hell...Did you forget something?:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    -Something you will never see unless I point it out. The mill bit I got to countersink the captive nuts worked perfectly on 4-40 nuts too. -nice and snug.
    [​IMG]
    -The CD cage with the freshly mangled screw holes. Getting the faceplate screws on under the red floppy shroud was fun. I had to use one of those long-reach grabby things.
    [​IMG]
    -The fit between the NB Block and the CPU block at least came out right.
    [​IMG]
    -Everybody in...And cable mess (mass?) rears it's ugly head. Part of why I put everything in the case was so I could work out the Plumbing and this.
    [​IMG]
    -Temporary hoses go in. I have cord holding everything up to keep stress off the board. (Well, less stress. I can't forget the ~3 pounds of copper and plastic on the board.)
    [​IMG]
    -I had to thread the power LED into some hose. For this I used some thread and a needle. That long dark line across the picture is a needle...a BIG d*mn needle!

Intermisson time. I'll be back in a bit with more, but first: A word from our sponsors!:D

[​IMG]

19. Cheapskate

Part 2:
    I had to do some moving and dusting to get everything ready for the new case, so I pulled my first case out for cleaning. I might as well show you the ugly.
    [​IMG]
    -This was like Hypnotoad, the materials were mostly salvage junk. The black lexan was a victim of a spill that permanently fused the paper masking to it, and someone tried to scrape it off. The clear plexi is polypropylene from a discarded Spidel display case. The aluminum was also discarded and had to be sandblasted to hide the pitting and corrosion.
    [​IMG]
    -The 3.2ghz system is newer than the one In BlooBalls. The aluminum flat bars on the drive cage are the only new materials used.
    [​IMG]
    -My first attempt at a slide-in drive system using heatsinks and angle aluminum.

-OK, back to BB....
    [​IMG]
    -Leak testing with the temporary pump. I still need to work out the plumbing before I can use my new Danger Den baby.
    [​IMG]
    -1 1/2 quarts of coolant, 500 gallon/hour pump, *ssload of temporary tubing.
    [​IMG]
    -Back on another tangent: While cleaning up I noticed my old NB block was freaking out. It's continuing to crack up and one corner has completely split. Oddly, the middle layer is still fine.
    Power up time...
    [​IMG]
    -I swiped the white HD LED from Hypnotoad for now, and the front USB is still not hooked up.
    [​IMG]
    -Now if I only had a camera that could capture the proper colors... There are shades of purple you are missing from the blue and red mixing.
    [​IMG]
    -HD activity lighting up the on switch.
    [​IMG]
    -The back fan over the blocks is really a purple LED fan, but the camera can't register the colors.
    [​IMG]
    -Ending on a nearly black shot.:blah: This is the only pic I got of the purple fan.

I've cut two of the copper lines, but I'll save that for next time.

And remember kiddies...:D
    [​IMG]

20. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

FREAKING AWSOME man, I really love this project and that temporary pump is really sweet looking, I would love to have one, I remember rading earlier in this worklog about what it was but I just cant remember where so could you please tell me what it is once again so I can go look for one :)