1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI HydroGen - Watercooling, MSI Style

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Nov 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2007
  2. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i like how motherboard companys are integrating water cooling products, but im not so sure about the whole heatpipe array...

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not a heatpipe - it's a single tube that fills with water which makes it travel from top to bottom (or bottom to top)

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looks nice, but I'd be worried about the inner diameter of the copper tubes... Might be good on a sepereate 6/8mm loop, but not on a larger diameter tubing loop ...

5. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

fine then the part of the loop that is attached to the south bridge and mosfits and of cause the actual copper tubing, you still knew what i meant lol

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh yea, totally, but at least this is the first complete solution - it's a step in the right direction if I was wanting to watercool everything. The problem with the Asus ones is that you still need some airflow for the heatpipes, which kind of defeats the object to an extent.

7. (RFFN)-SqUeD

(RFFN)-SqUeD I eat dremels for breakfast

Looks good, The board has got a great layout ..... me like a lot!!!! :D can't wait for the first reviews

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Unfortunately it doesn't have a great layout - the yellow slots are x4 only which make them almost pointless. Better to have had an extra PCI slot and an x8.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I wonder what the switch is in the bottom right corner. :)

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Is it me or does the exit on the southbridge look a little close to the seconds pci-e slot? With a large 1/2" barb plus tubing and a hose clip it could foul on longer graphics cards.

Really like the concept though, much better than the Asus which was reviewed last week in my opinion.

11. nemesis80

nemesis80 What's a Dremel?

Laser cut? Sorry to disappoint but those are cnc milled for sure, as the shape of the piece wouldnt correspond to a leser cutted piece...

12. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I love the idea of this.
    I had a water-cooled PC before my laptop and having to find blocks that fit your NB, SB and MOSFETs is a major PITA.
    Buying a board with them custom-made and pre-fitted is a really nice idea IMO. :)

I'd buy one. :)

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, you're right :blush:

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

no sli ;( Where are the nforce7xx boards???

15. TomD22

TomD22 What's a Dremel?

Layout looks a bit dodgy though...only 1 pci slot and if you use a dual slot pci-e in the lower of the blue one, no pci slot at all. So there goes the space to plug in my sound card, tv card, or whatever. (not that I would afford this mb anyway ^^)

16. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Do you mean the display? As far as I can tell it's a four digit display. I think I remember these being used for status codes from the mobo. I think we first saw them on the Fatal1ty boards?
    And it actually is the lower left corner if you turn the mobo standard wise :)

17. salesman

salesman Minimodder

it clearly says X38 on the board yet its supposed to be a X48 can someone clear the air on this one for me? I'm confused. Maybe its just showing off what the waterblock would look like on a motherboard and this isn't the actual board or even the chipset MSI is going to use. What do you guys think.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea it's X48 - the press release was for X38 but MSI have saved it for the X48 release instead in order to finalise the details of the HydroGen block. The layout stays the same but they haven't changed the ink yet that's all ;)

19. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

+1

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm not sure about this setup by MSI. I like the idea of integrated W/C blocks, but running a second loop for the motherboard as well as the main loop for cpu+gpu because of the insanely tight copper tubing (Which has to be small for obvious reasons).. I think it might have fared better with heatpipes between the blocks and either each of the end pieces having an entrance/exit or one in the middle, as with the Asus Maximus series.

Tags: Add Tags