1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cooling Hard Disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyprio, 26 Nov 2007.

1. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Now i would normally be the kinda person who replies to threads about cooling HDDs with "Not necessary". However, in my current build the only place for 2 Raptors (that will be Raid 0) is infront of the PA rad and hence will have warmish air flowing over them. The case itself has little airflow and so i am worried about them overheating a tad.

I have looked into watercooling them but the blocks are large and expensive... but i had another idea i wanted to pass by people here.

What about attaching an old waterblock to a copper plate and screwing the HDDs to this - would it work?

Alternatively is anyone here able to make me a very simple waterblock that would consist of two parallel 10mm holes drilled into a copper block (that would be wedged between the two drives), and all 4 ends tapped for G1/4" compression fittings?

Or is this just me being silly and HDD cooling is "Not necessary" :D

2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

What about making the ghetto blocks out of copper pipe soldered to a plate that is attached to the drives? I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to make, cost much and would be quite effective as harddrives don't put out that much heat. If that's not really feasilbe I'd got without unless you run into stability issues.

3. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

if they have the exhaust air from the rad flowing over them then I suspect they would be fine. HDD just need some airflow to prevent heat build up.

4. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

how warm is the air coming out of the rad?

5. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Maybe something like this?
    I know that it isn't WC, but I don't think that you need it to cool down a HDD.

[​IMG]

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I have something similar, except that its just the finned bits of aluminium screwed on with some cheap thermal paste between them and i extended the bar out into the air flow up the case. Seems to work quite well.

7. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

Jeez skylinedis that a 38mm delta on the back of that case? Whoosh for the win :0

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Give it a go with just cooling them with the airflow from the rad, keep an eye on the temps when you first put them in - unless theyre running over 50C, don't worry about the temps.

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Even hot airflow makes a hellofadifference when compared to situation with no airflow at all. Give it a shot is my advice as well.

10. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Thanks guys. Will give it a shot without any extra cooling first.

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Just for reference, I have a Raptor 150 and a WD Caviar both inside Scythe Quiet Drive enclosures, and they are right next to my PA 120.1 (with about 70 watts worth of heat going through it). I have the air flowing through the rad and across the drives. They run about 37-40 C at the most during hardcore gaming.

12. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Not a Delta, but they're both (the one at the front and the one at the back) 120x38 fans, but they run at a very low voltage, so I can have the air flowing without noise. :)

Tags: