1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress METO aKa projekt scrapheap challenge - watercooled and topped

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by p0Pe, 26 Nov 2007.

1. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

this projekt is sponsored by www.coolbits.dk

since i got a lot of old hardware at home as many others, ive decided to put it all together so i can get some use of my old IDE harddrives.

specs:

something something MB
    amd athlon 2.4 ghz
    512 mb ram
    geforce 4 TI 4200

hdd:
    200 gb
    160 gb
    80 gb
    xxx gb

to give you an impresion of how much im actually gonna stuff in this ive made this:

[​IMG]

im thinking of a few ideas on how to wrap it together but still working on it, basicly, im going to put PSU in one "box" in the bottom, and res/pump and dvd-rom in another, and put the MB etc on top. still not sure how to integrate the hdd´s and rad:/... but ill figur it out:p

[​IMG]

another pic just to show some more detailed sketches

[​IMG]

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8341/scrapheapchallenge3hj5.jpg (link beacuse of high res)

got som alu to work on (alot actually so have plenty to the whole case i think) and also worked a prototype bend out to see if its possible to bend this with the machine im working with.
    and gues what:D... it worked almost fine with som minor adjustments xD

test bend:
    http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/527/p1010117hh5.jpg (link beacuse of high res)

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7495/p1010118qr6.jpg (link beacuse of high res)

got my hands on 2 acrylic cases that im tearing apart

okay this is what i have to work with:D... acrylic Cheesecake
    [​IMG]

gonna take this part and destroy it so it fits my needs xD!
    [​IMG]

this should give you an idea of what i want to do:)
    [​IMG]

and the psu is gonna sit like this
    [​IMG]

light!... yeeaaahhh
    [​IMG]

this wont do:/... the psu cant get any fresh air...
    [​IMG]

quick fix heh
    [​IMG]

theese little devils are gonna come in handy:D...
    [​IMG]

this is the tool of destruction!:D... WITH LASERS XD... gotta love it!
    [​IMG]

the PSU mounting plate destroyd and fittet a bit
    [​IMG]

psu mounted, and shined up, sooo shiny!:D
    [​IMG]

bended the bottom frame, compared to prototype:
    [​IMG]

and made the other one as well, like the results:D.. they are almost identical!... 1 mm different max xD all made without motorized tools:p
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

look at thoose bends:p... compared to the prototype i like it:D
    [​IMG]

how it looks at the time
    [​IMG]

psu got another mount plate in the upper right corner
    [​IMG]

have to figure a way to lead the wires from the psu to hdd... thought of thoose silver bath hoses everyone uses since the looks awesome, but think they have been used to much so ill see if i can find something else
    [​IMG]

the pencil is there to illustrate how long it is going to be in the end
    [​IMG]

a little look at the rear... have to fix the whole in the psu somehow... thinking about mesh, but that might ruin the acrylic look?
    [​IMG]

intake to psu.. will look something like this i think
    [​IMG]

old faithfull gforce 4 TI 4200 :p (and old not so faithfull camera in the back)
    [​IMG]

how the rear looks... have to do something about the edges and so on... not quite satisfied with the vent as it looks now neither.
    [​IMG]

pleeeenty of room inhere for something:D
    [​IMG]

raddy time! after some time of thinking and loads of more thinking of what to do with the spare room beside the mobo, and how to make the top, i thought of putting the rad in the front?... will have to make some fancy cover for it though... but shouldnt be a problem:D

after seing how it fittet i came up with the idea that a 3*120 mm rad actually might fit xDDDD

also the posibility to put it out of the way here but this pos wont fit a 3*120mm
    [​IMG]

and for the frame: i have plans to make it look like brushed steel:D i love that look!... just hope to be able to make it look god:)

progress though.

got the rest of the holders in place, drilled the wholes and so on.
    [​IMG]

the machine i use for bending
    [​IMG]

and the machine for cutting:D.. why bother with a saw when you can use a huge ass machine:D
    [​IMG]

this was were i thought of placing the rad...
    [​IMG]

gonna post some more in a while:) have a bit math im fighting with:)

Last edited: 7 Apr 2008
  2. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

yo sup p0pe ;)

3. doubble_d

doubble_d mystery box

nice...... love the metal and plexi combined

4. gar

gar Minimodder

Very impressive. Keep up the good work. I wanted to bend sheet metal thats 4mm thick, is it possible to do that on a machine? Also I'm guessing thats an old tamyia under your coffee table? Good work so far!

5. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

and hello to FrooP :p

yeah it should be posible to bend 4mm in that kind of machine... you would have to put some power into it though:p

and thx for the comments:)

got the other hdd holder done, and used a lot of time sanding, wetsanding, more wetsanding and polishing:D

made theese little things
    [​IMG]

wich is gonna be used for this
    [​IMG]

and i got the mobo plate drilled, so now i just need to find som bolts that fits the purpose:D
    [​IMG]

sponsorgoddies

3 of theese
    17 db, adjustable to 6 db!!! 6 db!!:D
    [​IMG]

and this lovely baby! pump & res in 5.25 bay
    [​IMG]

and a triple, feel the power: TRIPLE, 120 mm radiator:p
    [​IMG]

and fluid:
    [​IMG]

anti bend things:
    [​IMG]
    and loads of fittings, uv cc, hoses, and so on:D

ive worked on the radgrill thingie

what do you think? as far as ive calculated the mobo is able to sit backthere:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think this is kinda the bend angle i want

[​IMG]

its gonna be cut a little above where the lower 2 pieces of maskin tape is, and ill figure out a way to mount it to the rest of the body on... i thought of welding but this would be to visible, i might bolt it on or something...

more shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

another 35$ just went into this "scrapheap" mod since ive decided to split my second acrylic case xD... (gonna sell the hardware though, 400W psu, 3 alu fans & cold cathode light)

this is the purpose:
    this:
    [​IMG]

is replaced by this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

side view... think im gonna go for a angled top... not totaly flat as you see here... this might ruin my plans with the rad grill, but i have a solution in mind
    [​IMG]

and a front view
    [​IMG]

sponsorhardware time!

[​IMG]

OMG look at that rad :O
    [​IMG]
    its so huge:D

compared to the old
    [​IMG]

as soon as i get my act together ill have the top piece of alu cut. but before that ill have to cut the 2 sides.

this is how much im gonna cut off the acrylic on the sides

[​IMG]

ive test bended some alu

[​IMG]

and from another angle, the alu is the piece the rad is gonna sit on, and im gonna lasercut some text including the sponsor:)

[​IMG]

pump/res station

how i would like to make a front:

[​IMG]

plexi cut, filled and sanded

[​IMG]

and some hoses

[​IMG]

and put some helicoil inthere just beacuse i thought it would look cool:p

[​IMG]

thats all:)

comments is very welcome:)

EDIT:

oops.. pics is a bit big:/ does it bother anyone? i only have them hosted in that res

Last edited: 26 Nov 2007
  6. doubble_d

doubble_d mystery box

nice build man........ really like it looks really nice.... check out my mystery box:D

7. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

the picture sizes are just fine for me. even the the feser fluid is a bit big.
    anyways, this looks amazing. keep up the great work.

8. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

Man, this is really starting to come together. Nice work p0Pe.

Note to 'doubble d': you really need to set your-self up a signature with a link, so you don't have to put 'check out my mystery box:D' on the end of all your posts. No offence, I seen you do it a few time while I've been browsing and it makes you sound cocky. I know thats not how you mean it as I can see your relativly new here. Don't take it personally. Just trying to help out. If you need a hard just give a shout and someone will help you out.;)

9. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

then!.. finnaly time for an update:)

to start with ill post some pics of what thought of integrating some time ago, this probertly aint gonna be done but its a nice thought:D

this is my nintendo gamecube
    [​IMG]
    and a WII :D fits perfectly lol
    [​IMG]

well... now to the modding part
    1.2.3 MOD!
    [​IMG]

im gonna light the feets, 4 feets in total...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    as you can see its gonna be blue leds

i got the whole thing asembled and wired it up just to hear how loud it was going to be, and the noise was... low!... the harddrive made more noise than the fans lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the fans from the rad is so awesome!... gotta have some more of thoose:D 6 db Cheesecake!
    [​IMG]

the psu, dvd-drive and hdd´s in place.. not much space for the wires xD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and then.... catastrofy happened:(... my primary rigs watercooling went nuts!... the hdd blocks broke and there was fluid all over... fortunatly my case is rigged so the fluid didnt hit the mb and so on... but the hdd wasnt so lucky:(
    [​IMG]

the place the damage happened
    [​IMG]

so now i have been forced to put my hdd out of my waterloop:(... this looks so sad
    [​IMG]

but at least it gave me the change to clean my rad lol
    [​IMG]

well.... back to the mod
    got the acrylic for the sides cut:D... along with the mb plate, so you now am able to see how big its gonna be:D
    [​IMG]

also got some wholes cut for the psu air intake
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

some raddy pics
    [​IMG]

after dark
    [​IMG]

some side views
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a pic of my current worktable:D kinda messy
    [​IMG]

thats all for now:) comments anyone:D???:clap:

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You are using some prime gear for a 'scrapheap bodge'. If it wasn't such good work I'd be disappointed at the lack of real scrap. Who made the broken HD cooler? They look really flimsy!

11. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

This case looks really really nice, totally not what I was expecting from the title, good work :thumb:

12. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

thx:D and yeah, the hardware might be something else than i expected mainly beacuse of the accident with the hdd blocks:( and the producent is XSPC, but this is the only produkt of theirs that i think of as some serious ****!...and i dont think they have it on the marked anymore... but their delta cpu block kicks ###!

the hardware might be whats in my current rig, but that would only be if i am able to get 2 of theese
    https://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?cPath=29_45&products_id=231

and i would like to thank my girlfriend for her contribution to this:D 2*acrylic cases xD.... (which i immidiatly toor apart:D)

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm not a big fan of the idea. A mylar bag attached to a water pump... I usually get bloody handling computer insides. I don't think these would have a good survival rate.
    Girlfriends are a natural scource of broken stuff... Often it's YOUR stuff.:naughty:

14. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

hehe... but what do you mean?... do you think the koolance stuff is a bad choice? dont quite get it:D
    hopefully i should learn a program soon, that allows me to send stuff to a cnc waterjet to get cut:D have some ideas for the top and fancovers instead of thoose nasty metal ones xD

15. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

yeah me neither.. new harddrives are made to transport the heat to their sides and if this bag will pop... another harddrive WILL DIE ;)

16. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

hehe... yeah... but i kinda like the design they offer:D... and it fits my needs i guess... but i might be able to make a custom one:)...

but heres for the update... sorry for the insane ammount of huge pics in one page, but since we haven reach page 2 i guess youll have to live with it xD

mesh drilled and cut:

as air intake to the psu im counting on using a 140 mm fan.
    gonna cut something of the sides of it so it could suck air in from the side where there is a little mesh . this is going to suck some air that comes out of it, but this should not have the biggest effect since there also is a intake on the top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the mesh for the psu intake:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mesh for the radiator... should i paint this black too?... dont know exactly how the fangrill for the radiator is gonna look... there is gonna sit another one on the alu top plate.

[​IMG]

also have to make some adjustments to this card reader... gonna mill in a pice of acrylic, so it fits exactly on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    thats all for now:) what do you think?

17. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

quick update -

got to the mill today and now is the break, so i thought i would post some WIP

im gonna make a cover plate for bottom and top side of the cardreader:

[​IMG]

is was close at breaking from time to time, but with a steady hand it worked:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thats all for now:D... might post some more at the end of the day and tell how it went:)

18. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

i hope noone has a great deal against that i spam until next page beacuse of the insane amount of image in this one page... whit my internet connection thats a PITA.

19. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

20. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

go go