1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Orange Box PS3 actually OK?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Nov 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. CanadianViking

CanadianViking Beast from the North

Good news for PS3 owners.

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

from the reviews, its still sounds like its a half hearted port and will not be anything like the pc or the 360 versions.

but will most pc developers start passing there pc and 360 versions over to a third party to do a port....? sound like the sega saturn all over again to me...

4. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

5. 2JSC

2JSC What's a Dremel?

I blame EA and Valve for doing a halfassed job. Seriously though. If the PS3 is that hard to work with, how come developers like NaughtyDog are able to make such a beautiful game from scratch and EA can't even make a freaking port?

6. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Didn't TF2 fail because the servers weren't up rather than some catastrophoc coding errors?

And maybe porting the game is the source of the problems. If the game was created straight out of the gate for the PS3, then maybe it would be great and porting it to the PC and 360 would have been problematic.

7. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Exactly! Ass Creed and COD4 are fantastic on the PS3 -- HL2/Source is a fairly old engine now. Sure the PS3 might be hard(er) to code for but it can't be *that* hard unless the original source code was a spaghetti-mess to begin with.

For Gabe & Co. to let a **** version of their product go gold on the PS3 and then to sit back and complain about is just plain poor. Others can do it, and much better than you Gabe -- what's your excuse?

/sigh

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

This is why the PS3 is having a hard time with games at the moment. Since it came to the game late people were already developing games for windows and the xbox 360. It sounds like Sony's development framework is quite different to that of Microsofts in which lies the problem.

The PS3 is in a bit of a chicken and the egg situation. Gamers don't want to buy it because it's not getting the big games (it is getting some now but for the last year it's been left a little in the corner doing it's own thing, but I digress) and developers don't want to develop for it primarily because it doesn't have the userbase (again, that is slowly turning around now).

Once the developers get used to writing for or porting to the PS3 we are going to see stories like this.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Valve aren't handling the PS3 port either, thats a big part of the problem. They don't see the console as being important or worth porting too. They can port to the 360 because it's VERY similar to the PC and it just takes a few extra weeks, so they don't lose anything by doing it. Porting to PS3 is radically more complex and takes a hell of a lot longer - hence the delay. Gabe et al don't think it's worth it to give that wait for a game which will never play as well as the platform it was intended for (the PC) and for a console they think is going to fail. Hence, EA handles the port and, in doing so, do it badly and prove Gabe right.

10. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I work with several PS3 owners who are all waiting in anticipation of the orange box coming out, they don't seem too bothered by the framerate issues but then thats maybe because they all play pro-evo which, if I'm not mistaken, had horrendous slowdown and lagging problems on release.

It seems ps3 owners are getting repeatedly hit with rushed code/ports that software developers try to fix later with patches, and I thought that was the realm of the PC gamer...

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yeah, it was. Until the dawn of internet enabled consoles. ;)

12. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

What if they didn't bother to even port it to PS3.. would you still be complaining? They didn't think it was worth doing... because they knew it would be a '****' version port to get it to work on the PS3? You have to remember they are out to make money, and Gabe didn't think it would be worth it to recode the game... EA did and look at what they got. Granted, Valve could have done a better job, but I bet even they wouldn't have been happy with it.

13. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I agree with that -- at the end of the day they write/port/dev games for making money. To be honest, I really couldn't care about whether or not they ported it -- for me, HL2 and Source is "done and dusted". I have no interest in it.

It's the idea that VALVe found the PS3 'that' difficult to work with. Comparing the quality of current games out now it seems other developers have managed to produce some outstanding works. Sure it might have been a trial. But why are VALVe, for all their knowledge and experience and wisdom, unable to meet the same level of quality?

I just think it sets a horrible precident when a developer says, "Ugh, it's too hard/difficult/hassle to write for that system".

14. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

We had a PS exec come do a talk a few days ago. If you were to teach a one semester class on the PS3, you would basically spend the whole time trying to get a Hello World message on screen. It's a very difficult console to come to terms with. And because it's such a different architecture to that of PC and Xbox, porting would not be an easy job.

I think that says something about the console itself don't you? From what the exec said, Sony plans to have a reasonably simple development pipeline in 5 years.

15. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Wasn't the PS2 in a similar situation though? with the EE?

Xbox was just a PC in a fancy box, so didn't have any issues.

16. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I've played the 360 version, and IMO, its crap (in comparison)

M&K just rapes a controller, any day of the week

I'm still trying to get my WiiMote to work with HL2(PC) - it looks quite interesting
    Its the only controller that actually makes sense with a FPS game >_<

17. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Lol Ghys gets an honorable mention...

18. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

As much as I love the Playstation 3, I don't understand :/ Oh well, I also must confess, I would prefer Episode 2/TF2 on PC over Playstation 3 anyways. Gogo PC! :D Though I do want MGS4 and Ratchet and Clank for Playstation 3.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

lmao, why ?
    what did I do !

EDIT: HAHAHA I JUST NOTICED

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICEEEEEE

my bitching was not done in vain !!!!!!
    hahaha :D:D:D:D

20. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This is bizarre...Ep2 runs smooth as anything on my machine (sig), and the PS3 was geared to be the ultimate in hardware - it certainly outstrips mine by miles, as well as having the advantage of being a console. How can it not play the Orange Box smoothly? I'm not even angry, just astonished.

Tags: Add Tags