1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Temporary name: Bloo Balls --6-29-'11 Bloo 2.0 refit COMPLETED page 47

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 3 Jun 2007.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Sweet, Cheap! Lookin' cosmic. I love how it looks running. How's the sound-level?

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks guys!

@Mr Carl -It's a dead lawnmower engine with an old aquarium pump in the cylinder. You can see the power cord going out the hole for the driveshaft.

@EEL -It needs more lights in my opinion.:D The sound is much quieter than that Logisis stove LED fan in the front of Hypnotoad. There's a reason they don't put the decibel rating on the package. The front fan seems to be getting plenty of air. It's right next to my head at my desk and didn't bother me.

3. Cheapskate

OK, EEL- I'd say I'm still running about 26 decibels. -Still the quietest thing I've built so far. I had to wait for the 'WOW! it's not roaring anymore,' to wear off. The front 120mm fan is channeled through the HD rack right into the motherboard -almost like I planned it too.

I think I have a problem with the NB block seating right. (I hope that's all it is.) I got about 20 minutes of runtime out of it yesterday and then everything seized. A reboot attempt gave me NOTHING. -No bios boot, no IDE detect, just a black screen. This morning I tried it again. After 20 minutes it happened again.
    I'm hoping I didn't kill the motherboard yet, but I just realized I've had this board longer than any other system. It's been transfered to 5 cases at this point. It may be getting sick of being handled so much.

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

Nice! 26 db is perfect. Minimal fan use by designing it to utilize airflow as much as possible without adding 50 fans; kewl! :rock:

Ooohh, that hurts to hear. Another thing that could be causing that is the block might be too tight and flexing the board. Can you get a temp reading up to that 20 min seize point on the chipset? I mean, obviously if it's getting rather toasty it'll freeze it. Just tryin' to help out, lol. Man, I hate hearing about hardware dying on someone. I know, 'cause I've been there myself--hell, we all probably have.

Many of my ex's were the same way. :D

5. Cheapskate

Yep. That board is DEAD. I didn't have the NB seated. -too much silicone blobbed around the foam.
    -P4 socket boards are cheap, but hard to find anymore. It would be awesome to find another one of the same boards, but not looking likely. -Of course, getting a board that doesn't have a toaster oven for a northbridge would simplify things...:idea:

@EEL -I hope you didn't handle your ex's to death.

6. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I'm sorry about the board cheap. I wish you luck in finding a replacement for it.

7. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

awesome looking build ............. :thumb:

sorry to hear about the dead board :sigh:

Alan

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

I can tell you from personal experience that AsRock makes cheap 478 boards that are rock-solid. They can still be had around the 'net too. If you're okay with matx form-factor, that is. They generally use blue PCB's, so it'd fit in with your case. Just food for thought.

A gentleman never tells. He sends you pics!

9. Cheapskate

Thanks for the support, everyone.
    @EEL -Geeks and tigerdirect have a few of those. I'm going to get what fits my needs and pray it isn't green.(ick!)

I bet no one has ever flooded their backyard in the name of computer modding. -Until now, that is.:D
    [​IMG]
    -This is a rough fit of the pipe that runs from the radiator to the reservoir. It's a crazy, kinky plumbing nightmare. I had to rough up the insides of the fits to get everything to hold it's shape.
    [​IMG]
    -This is everything mostly soldered. The little part goes from the CPU block to the NB block. It's useless now, but may get chopped up to use elsewhere.
    [​IMG]
    -There was so much to solder on this crazy part that I couldn't get one bit. It was upside-down when I was doing this and the flux burned off. This is the result of a soapy water leak test on that fitting. I needed to do a splice to correct something too.
    [​IMG]
    -And now some blurry shots of the faceplate and buttons getting glued on. I used a tiny bit of clear epoxy, braced the parts in place with cardboard, and left the house for the day. (This stuff stinks, so I waited for a day I wouldn't be home to do it.:D)
    [​IMG]
    -Done, and blurry.
    [​IMG]
    -blurry shot of the CD tray out. Here you can see I was quick-booting with Geexbox instead of checking my temps.:duh: Yep! I got sloppy, and paid for it. I was so pumped about how it looked that I forgot to test everything first.
    [​IMG]
    -The two lines that needed corrective splicing. The heat darkened the lacquer on the long one.
    [​IMG]
    -Now, here's a problem. The flux from soldering forms a black gunk inside the pipe. A standard snakebrush didn't work, so I tried the ball end of a bass guitar string. It worked better, but only went in about 3 corners deep. I need a way to get the rest of the grime out of the line.
    [​IMG]
    -Right now it's in the yard, hooked to the hose and a high pressure nozzle. It's now a very expensive but inefficient garden sprinkler.:eyebrow:

:clap:Thanks again to Danger Den!:clap:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Nov 2007
  10. karbonKid

karbonKid Minimodder

Boiling water should do the trick, it's what Thermochill recommend for cleaning out their radiators before use...

If that doesn't work, white wine vinegar is the other option.

11. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Love the work dude, so don't get disheartened by the dead board, you may even find a better one (as in fitting with the case), good luck!

12. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Good-stuff Cheap..

13. Cheapskate

Thanks guys!:D
    'new' board is ordered. The selection got slimmer in just a few days time. I had no idea how old this board was. My 'tech' tells me it's likely I cooked the chip too, but I don't want to make a new cpu block. No other chipset gives me that much room for patterns.

Boiling water and vinegar...
    Sounds like some kind of extreme feminine hygiene.
    Thanks! I'll try that. I hope it works on flux that was burned to carbon. I get pretty wild with the torching. It's amazing that I still have my eyebrows.

14. Cheapskate

I told a dirty joke and chased all the kiddies off!:waah:
    [​IMG]
    -This is part of the reason why I'm having trouble fitting the pipes. The fittings aren't exactly square, or even a little square.
    [​IMG]
    -I put together PART of the pipe that goes to the cpu block. I can't finish this completely 'til I get the new motherboard.
    [​IMG]
    -I'm doing all this plumbing and I never show you. (It is hard to take pics and operate a blowtorch.) It's fairly simple, but I will show the steps anyway. In this pic I have added the acid flux to the parts of the pipe that will be soldered together, (with the crappy half-brush that comes with the flux.:blah:)
    [​IMG]
    -Now I'm-HEY! where'd the flame go? It dissapeared in the flash. I'm using an ordinary propane torch to heat the pipe.
    [​IMG]
    -(simulated) application of solder to the heated joint. I have been smearing the solder on heavy because of the number of joints and how close they are to each other.
    [​IMG]
    -The kind-of finished part with some new clip bases.
    [​IMG]
    -The sketched outline of part two of the clips.
    [​IMG]
    -I needed some polyethylene spacers for the clips. I went right to my favorite scource: conditioner bottles.:D
    The spacers keep the clips tight while keeping the two plexi parts from rubbing together.
    [​IMG]
    -All the finished bits together. -and the washers smell spring fresh! Yum!
    Here's how they work...
    [​IMG]
    -closed (duUhr!)
    [​IMG]
    -opening...
    [​IMG]
    -Open. The little flat cam on the bottom of the red part kicks the pipe out.
    [​IMG]
    -I popped a rivet on the fillport clip first.
    [​IMG]
    -A riveted and polished clip. I had to rivet these together before I glued them into place.
    [​IMG]
    -The first clip glued in (and a blurry shot of it.)
    [​IMG]
    -More fitting issues... The masked stick of plexi represents the side panel. I made the last bend to the reservoir too long, and the tubing in the test fit is tweaking like mad. No big problem. The pipes can also be DE-soldered. You just heat the spot you want apart up and pull it apart. Use two pairs of pliers to handle the pipe. I'm not manly enough to try it with my bare hands, so don't try it.:naughty:
    [​IMG]
    -The back clips glued in place.
    [​IMG]
    -two of the pipes in position. The pipe near the radiator is hitting a support brace I made, so I will need to trim stuff next.
    [​IMG]
    -what the heck, 500 pics, -why not one more extra.

Get all your cooling gear from Danger Den, or I'll quit telling dirty jokes!
    [​IMG]

15. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

That's a nifty little mechanism you have! Good idea and great execution.
    Oh, by the way: Have you already tested all the pipes for leaks?

16. Cheapskate

Thanks!
    Not under high pressure, but most of it has been soapy water tested. You can tell by sight that most of it will not leak.

Last edited: 3 Dec 2007
  17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Here's a suggestion you wont wanna hear: you should re-solder any joint that fails a pressure test. I'd suggest testing using more pressure than what you will be running - you probably have a tap that has more pressure than the pump you will be using in the pc. I've probably missed it, but why didn't you use flexible copper piping and a tube bender to make the tubes?

18. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

........the copper pipes are beautiful............:thumb:
    very nice brackets ........ awesome!
    ...... now you really got me thinking about
    creating a copper pipe loop into my plans too .........

Alan

19. widmod

widmod Minimodder

looking nice with all that copper in :jawdrop:
    too bad about the motherboard good that you found a replacement

20. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

That clamp mechanism looks nice, and really nice when you showed that it actually kicks the pipe out. That is just awesome :thumb: