1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Ferrari Enzo tribute - 20/12/2007 - *ON HOLD*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ssR, 12 Mar 2007.

1. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Looking really good.

I know from your comments that you work with CF all the time and that it's pretty much just another building material for you. But to see you paint it so we never see it's glory - well that almost breaks my heart. Looking forward to the next update.

2. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Thanks again :)

Constructacon: Sometimes i use carbon not for looks, but to actually reinforce the part. In that case i don't try to make it look as good as i do in some other, visible, parts. Besides i don't want to go overkill with too much carbon. Some details well be made of pure carbon but to make everything of carbon is not to my taste not to mention, dangerous for the hardware. Hope you understand me :)

Now lets move to the update itself :)

I worked mostly on the rear part of the case and then moved on to the front bezel and the electronics cage

I began with the rear area of the case. First i removed some of the foam near the PSU opening area.

[​IMG]

Then glued some pieces of rohacell and fiberglass laminate i had left from earlier on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then after the structure was complete i removed all the foam from the rear air intakes... lots of mess :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was the front bezel and the control panel. I started by making a cutting template and then cutting a piece of carbon skin i made a while ago.

[​IMG]

Then it was cut to the control panel shape

[​IMG]

Next was the design phase. I've been brainstorming this specific part for a looong time now and finally gave up and decided to go with something rather simple and classic
    For the optical drive i chose slim, slot loading DVD-RW by Pioneer. My only mistake was that i bought the laptop version (which has an ATAPI connector instead of an IDE/SATA. But don't worry i already ordered a ATAPI to SATA adapter, should arrive soon enough...
    For the fan controller i chose Zalman MFC1 Plus controller. Much like the one i used in my AquaLight project only offers 6 fan channels instead of 4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fan controller was taken apart and modded into the control panel. I used the original aluminum faceplate from the zalman as a drilling template

[​IMG]

After drilling all the holes and cutting a slot for the optical drive.

[​IMG]

Next on my TO-DO list was to make the electronics cage. I already had the side panels ready, all i had to do is make the supports and the DVD sliding rails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the control panel mounted on the case

[​IMG]

From inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the rails for the DVD drive were made

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a mount for the fan controller

[​IMG]

I made a cut on the support tray for the cables going through and began working on the cover for the whole thing

[​IMG]

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Looks awesome...

4. widmod

widmod Minimodder

good work here :rock:
    i wish i could work with this materials

5. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

looking great mater, nice clean work :)

6. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

By this time its really no surprise but this just keeps getting better and better, keep it up :thumb:

7. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

Still looking great; glad you are going to have some accents in CF.

8. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Thanks for your comments guys!

Yet another update for your viewing pleasure. I pretty much finished the enclosure on the electronics box. Here are the steps of the process it went through:

The finished enclosure test fitted in the case. Very tight fit :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prior to primer paint

[​IMG]

And afterwards

[​IMG]

After the paint cured the box was then painted in black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then some holes were drilled for the screws that attach the panels to the box frame. I used cylinder head allen screws for that job that were countersunk into the part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i decided to make some decorative openings that will be covered with mesh later on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a final assembly just to see how it comes together :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Another update

With most of the fabrication job being complete now, i can move to the fine detailing of the parts. Today i worked on the PSU covers.

A grill design was made in Solid Works then printed on paper to act as a template

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rough cutting

[​IMG]

And finished after some sanding

[​IMG]

The dremel bits i used for those cuts

[​IMG]

Both covers are finished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i began getting the complete picture of the case and after some long consideration i finally decided to cut a top window in the case

The design couldn't be more simple than that. A4 paper with rounded corners

[​IMG]

Using jigsaw i made a rough cut

[​IMG]

Then using a spray can and some bondo i perfected the corners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finished

[​IMG]

10. derbaum

derbaum What's a Dremel?

n1 technique on the corners... ao simple but effective

11. arkadur

arkadur What's a Dremel?

nice work so far!
    i loved your PSU covers, the work with the Bondo on the corners , but why you mount just one optical drive?
    my opinion on the front panel is:
    i'll take the old colermaster device and mount the gouges on your front panel (with blue >red led mod)

Keep up the good work! can't wail for the next update!

12. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

It's looking really good, I really like the grills. And I like the way you make the templates ;)

13. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Nice work. My only comment is on the slot load drive.

[​IMG]

I think it would have looked better if you'd just moved it a couple of mm back and only had a slot in the front face, not showing the drive at all. I think it kind of spoils the look of the front faceplate. But you've gone so much further now so I don't know if it's something that could be (or you want to) change.

14. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I would have started a flame war on how Ferrari is worse than Lamborghini, but your mod is nice, so I won't :D

15. baron02

baron02 What's a Dremel?

Been following this project for a while now, it just keeps getting better. Keep up the good work

16. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I've been drooling over this one for a while, but i've got a couple of things to whinge about now :waah:
    I must agree with Constructacon on the front carbon panel - i think it's weird to use a slot drive on a custom panel, but not cut a slot? The other thing on the carbon panel is that it doesn't fill the space fully, there are big blank areas on each side. I was actually thinking that maybe it would be better to have that panel in the centre grill, just below where you have the panel.

The other gripe is with the window... it isn't in the shape of the case's front window! why not? You made a nice canopy, but instead of following the shape of your front window, you wanna just stick a square window in it :waah:

Sorry if i'm being harsh on your design choices ssr - your craftmanship is excellent as usual, the finish on the carbon panel looks awesome btw :D

17. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Thanks everyone for your replies!

derbaum: thanks, unfortunately it can only be used on parts with a certain wall thickness, otherwise the bondo just won't stick

arkadur: I only used 1 optical drive because this mod and the hardware inside will only be used for performance, not daily use. So 1 drive is enough. and what old coolermaster device are you talking about? :worried:

Constructacon: I agree with you about the front panel plate, this issue was brought up on another forum as well. I will make a new panel with a slot for DVD since it will only take like 30 mins or so.

mvagusta: i see no sense in putting the control panel in the middle grill. it IS a grill after all just like in the actual car and that will be it's purpose. As for the blank areas on the panel, who said I'm finished? :cooldude: I still have to add 4 switches (secondary PSU power button, power and reset buttons for the main system and a switch to open up the case top) So once I'm finished this panel will look pretty busy :)
    As for the window design i'm not entirely sure what you mean by "front window" as there is no such window :worried:. And don't make excuses about you giving me negative criticism, i can handle it. your questions and worries are legitimate and i will gladly answer them all as long as they are presented in the right way

Last edited: 2 Dec 2007
  18. mvagusta

I thought i'd show ya what i mean about the front window. I did a quick outline in red to show ya what shape i think would be good for a front window. I then thought about maybe having side windows aswell, so i drew one in red aswell. I think these windows in some tinted black/dark plexi would look hot.
    [​IMG]
    So the canopy is gonna be motorized? that would be really cool!

19. ssR

ssR Carbon God

mvagusta: I will try to explain why i didn't do the windows the way you suggested.

First you can take a look at the original sketches on the first page and you will see that i planned to make the side windows as well as the top window. I'm still not completely sure if i will make them or give it up and only make 1 window (btw its a REAR window, not front ;)) The reason is part strength. The whole top area is planned to be lifted by 2 linear actuators. If i would use your design, it would weaken the top section greatly as there will be very little material left. Don't forget that i will also be adding a 240 radiator at the very top of the case. So with all those details it will be carrying quite some weight.

I will see about the plexi choice for the window, i will try to get some tinted plexi, although it's pretty hard here in Israel.

Back to the window shape, i guess after all its a matter of personal taste but to me the window shape doesn't look bad at all, it's small and clean, and i will make sure to make it look good at the end ;)

More feedback / suggestions / questions will always be appreciated

20. mvagusta

oh, i didn't realise it was a rear window :duh: it will look good, i can relax now :D You probably know already, but if you can't get tinted plexi you could get tint spray or thin down some black paint, or maybe even red paint/tint? Unless you wanna chrome tint the window? Whatever you choose, keep up the great work :thumb: